Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie HELP please Mike or somebody!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie HELP please Mike or somebody!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie HELP please Mike or somebody!!! Reply with quote

So I got a new XL Live (UK/ROI) today.

So how do I stop it giving me the stupid tips?

So how do I get Home to download and install again - when I connected to Home to update the famous(?) speed cameras, good ole Home said I had to download a critical update. I said "No thanks, not bluddy likely", but it went ahead and downloaded anyway. Then the install crashed. So it won't work any more. So I can't look for a new map guarantee either.

Oooooooooo!! I ***** hate ***** New ***** Technology.

And if anybody has the settings for gmail servers for Outlook Express for Vera's new netbook on XP??? Because I can't make it ***** work! Evil or Very Mad

Two new toys in one day but it's turned out to be a bad day. GRRRRRR!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Gmail see here.

The Show/Hide Tips should be an option in Prefs IIRC?

Can you uninstall Home via Add/Remove then re-install it from TomToms web-site?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Cracking stuff!!
Keep it going.

I do sympathise - honest.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two new toys in one day but it's turned out to be a bad day. GRRRRRR!

Don't even THINK about getting a new van then Dennis. Razz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I guess I am at fault for this one, Dennis was going to waste quite a sum of cash on the 540 and by phone I said its simply not worth it, if you want to try the Live services go with the XL IQ Live as its a better solution for his needs.

No mp3 player, No Fm Tx but so what as they would never get used, Text to speech might be missing when the device came out of the shop but its rather easy to add to the new toy if needed. The XL doesn't offer the handsfree for the phone - so what as there are alternatives.

I will even drive to his house and fit a decent Bluetooth car kit to the van he drives if need be, you have seen what quite a few of us have said about the iO-Play kit combined with the phone and a car deck - it simply works - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
For Gmail see here.

The Show/Hide Tips should be an option in Prefs IIRC?

Can you uninstall Home via Add/Remove then re-install it from TomToms web-site?

Oh dear (approximation of censorable stuff)!!

The gmail help didn't help. However, I simply tried sending an email with gmail and it worked! It really only needed an email address for Messenger so that she can do video talking and impress the grandchildren with her brilliance!

The Show/Hide Tips is not an option in Prefs on the XL

I'll give uninstall Home a try later (very later).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
OK so I guess I am at fault for this one, Dennis was going to waste quite a sum of cash on the 540 and by phone I said its simply not worth it, if you want to try the Live services go with the XL IQ Live as its a better solution for his needs.

No mp3 player, No Fm Tx but so what as they would never get used, Text to speech might be missing when the device came out of the shop but its rather easy to add to the new toy if needed. The XL doesn't offer the handsfree for the phone - so what as there are alternatives.

I will even drive to his house and fit a decent Bluetooth car kit to the van he drives if need be, you have seen what quite a few of us have said about the iO-Play kit combined with the phone and a car deck - it simply works - Mike

No fault at all Mike, you were right. I don't want MP3 player or FM Tx and TTS is good with FM Tx, but no great deal without it compared with the pre-recorded voices.

Thanks, but I don't want the iO-Play - I've got the go700 which copes very adequately with handsfree - I was wondering if the 540 could be persuaded to work properly, as widescreen and better quality pixels are better with handsfree texts, but I guess it might have been an expensive test. (In any case, a fitted solution doesn't appeal as I change my van every two years and won't want to be fixing something in there). The two Google searches I've tried both worked very nicely, and that's my main aim I think - I'll give it some serious testing of navigating to the result of Google searches over the next future. I'll check out HD Traffic and see how it differs from RDS-TMC on the 920 alongside it.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie HELP please Mike or somebody!!! Reply with quote

Dennis_N wrote:

Dennis_N wrote:
....it went ahead and downloaded anyway. Then the install crashed. So it won't work any more.

Stop moaning! Didn't Number 2 stop Number 1 happening? Laughing
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the expression? "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie HELP please Mike or somebody!!! Reply with quote

Andy-^%=+P wrote:
Dennis_N wrote:

Dennis_N wrote:
....it went ahead and downloaded anyway. Then the install crashed. So it won't work any more.

Stop moaning! Didn't Number 2 stop Number 1 happening? Laughing
Just because you've got an underscore doesn't mean we've all got to have one. Stop it!

Anyway, Number 1 is stupid tips on the XL Live itself and Number 2 is stupid TT Home crashed and doesn't work - so I can't get my LMG or download all the super cameras and fuel prices and all that jazz until I re-install it. And I can't use Operate my GO920T or my XL or my TTN6 or my GO700 in Home - yes, I realise I don't want to use Operate my GO920T or my XL or my TTN6 or my GO700 in Home, but all you lot want me to, doncher? Rolling Eyes

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, to stop the stupid tips appearing on the device you will have to put a custom menu on the device as the device has no way to enter this as standard, once you have made the selection from the custom menu just delete the file from the TomTom and it will revert to the normal menu without the annoying tips.
For a few clues have a read through This Thread which explains whats needed.
Next you will be wanting Text To Speech on the XL IQ Live, its not difficult but I doubt we can post a "how to" on the forum without attracting some attention from TomTom Wink - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For interest, it took me over an hour to get Home back alive - when I downloaded it afresh, the install got halfway along the bar then crashed and continued to crash each time I tried. I wanted to delete Home folder and start all over, but it wouldn't let me delete it. I tried deleting individual sub folders, but they wouldn't all go. I eventually succeeded by renaming the TomTomHome2 folder TTTTomTomHome2 and have just now deleted that. What a soft bit of software - bet even I could get a job there!!

Thanks Mike, I hope I've done away with the tips now ("hope" because I did them in Operate my XL in Home - too much hassle to disconnect and fire up and down whilst involved in the updating and LMG - serve me right if it hasn't worked, but the folder and file are both still on the device so it won't be a big deal to do it again). I nearly made the mistake of accepting Mapshares. Surprised

Is there any chance of a similar (dumbo copy and paste) for the text display? Pretty please?

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the darkside of the XL LIVE users - you will never look back!

I found the tips go away anyway so don't worry about them.

As Mike says, if you need TTS then you know where we are ...........

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: