Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST - Shortest Distance Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST - Shortest Distance Routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: SmartST - Shortest Distance Routing Reply with quote

Since January, I have tried to get Navman to resolve a problem with the routing algorithm for the 'shortest distance' - the bug applies to both versions of SmartST including Service Pack 1 for version 2. In many cases the route calculated is NOT the shortest ! Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

For example, travelling from Bristol (UK) to Chester (UK) does not route west of Birmingham. In fact the same route as the ‘Quickest Time’ is followed, ie the motorways.

Routes from Denbigh to West Kirby go correctly, via Queensferry and Heswall. However routes from Bala to West Kirby, again go through Queensferry but jump onto the M53. Definitely NOT the shortest !

I am using a Compaq iPaq 3970 running Pocket PC version 3.0.11171 (Build 11178) and SmartST version 2.00.0024.

thanks
paul Confused
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I have experienced similar problems with the fastest routing in V2.

Travelling from Birmingham (UK) to Colchester (UK) it tries to route me down the M1 onto the M25 and back up the A12. Ignoring the directions, as I take the A14 it recalculates the journey and reduces the ETA by 15 minutes when it recalculated the new route accepting I was going to use the A14!
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
How have you been contacting Navman regarding this problem? And what kind of responses have you been getting?
To be honest I have not tried the shortest route option. I will try it though to see if Ii can find fault.
If more people contacted them with this problem they may concede it is one that needs addressing.
paulW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first contacted them through their website support. I have had a couple of replies. After much nagging via email, they sent me V2 - no difference. Next they said SP1 should resolve the problem. When I informed them this did nothing either, their reply was as follows -

"Then you need to wait for the next update: we are working on the problem and should release an update in the next couple of weeks.
Check our website to stay informed. " That was May 4th.

Shortest routes are my main use of the application - it gets you to all sorts of interesting roads ! I think however that their priority is fairly low on this, despite it being in my opinion, a major flaw !

paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: