Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janerik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Compass Reply with quote

Anybody knows if compass is "working" even if compass page is not displayed?
If this is so it coulsd be nice to turn it off to save batteries!
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With advanced power control set to 'normal' you have the option to set the map to 'Track up' so for this the compass must be in use(depending on what you set 'GPS heading used at'). This is disabled when advanced power control is set to 'advanced' though I doubt whether this means the compass is also disabled. The bottom line is you'd have to ask Satmap.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this 'track-up' mode on the Active 10 a little strange as it appears to use the compass to orient the map. This means you have to point the device straight ahead and keep it horizontal to maintain the accuracy. Other GPS mapping devices I have tried use the calculated direction (from successive GPS fixes) to do track-up.

It would be nice to have an option to turn off the electronic compass as it will use the battery to power the sensor.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I find this 'track-up' mode on the Active 10 a little strange as it appears to use the compass to orient the map. This means you have to point the device straight ahead and keep it horizontal to maintain the accuracy. Other GPS mapping devices I have tried use the calculated direction (from successive GPS fixes) to do track-up.

You can configure the A10 to switch from using the electronic compass to orientate the map to using the GPS direction-of-travel at a user-defined speed.(You can tell which method is currently being used as there is a direction indicator on the blue "you are here" circle when the GPS direction-of-travel is being used, but not when the compass is being used)
This option can be found in "Settings" - "GPS Settings" -"GPS Used as Heading at"
The available options are Never (i.e. always use the electronic compass)/ 1 kph/ 2 kph/ 5 kph/ 10kph/ 16 kph
I use 2 kph - this seems to work well when walking; in practice whenever I am moving it uses the GPS direction-of-travel, only reverting to using the compass when I am stationary.
I too have an issue with the stability of the compass but when moving, the GPS direction-of-travel seems to be much smoother at orientating the map.
den9112
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the previous post and their settings when using the track up mode , i have previously owned garmin etrex range and always followed the electric compass so i am familiar and used to it , the active 10 is just as accurate and good if not better , especially when you can user defined settings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: