Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WiFi Security Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WiFi Security Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: WiFi Security Help Reply with quote

Is there a software application/program to show if someone else is trying to log on to your WiFi router (or has gained access).

Never used WiFi until the last few weeks. But the security on mine is shown as:

WPA or WEP security

Looking on the internet it says that they are poor and can be got around quite easily and WPA 2 is highly advised.

Can long time users give me anymore information as to if this is true.

The router was supplied by my ISP about 2 years ago and I have only just started to use it with a new netbook. I have always used my broadband modem before. The router says it is up to date if I click on the update button on the configuration page properties, so the WPA / WEP is the best they offer for it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most routers have a 'mac address filter' that even if someone does manage to breach your security then if their mac address is not on the list then they have no access.

most routers also have a 'connected devices' list which will show which computers / phones etc are connected to the wifi which you could check periodically if you think there is some breach.

as further 'protection' you could turn off SSID (wifi network name) broadcasting so only people who know your exact SSID (make it complex with upper and lower case and numbers) AND the type of security you use would be able to connect.

me? i just use WPA2 and have never had any issues. but then again i DO live in a field with not many people nearby who would be chancing on free wifi!

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use WEP because i get problems with connections using WPA. Thing is if someone is looking for free internet access there are loads of other unsecure routers about that are easier to use.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers Laughing
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have already stated, WiFi security, in levels from poor to Ok the order goes - WEP - WPA - WPA2. There are several freely available programs which enable hackers to access your WiFi network. WEP is fairly easy to crack especially if you are a professional hacker, and there are lots of hackers about. It all depends upon what you tend to do on line wirelessly and what you use your computers for, i.e. surfing or internet baking, as to what level of security you set. Always use the highest level that is available to you. You can always turn the WiFi off from the router by the switch when you are not using it if you are in any doubt. (I was with a friend recently in a pub in South Wales with our laptops, the pub had WEP security on their secure WiFi network, every time the tills rang up a bill I was able to see the transaction being credited to the pubs company accounts, It was also possible to see every one of their computers connected to the network and the files contained on them - really scarey stuff. All we wanted to do was surf the net. Before we left, my friend and I showed them what we had seen and advised them to increase their level of security. At the very least, they should have disabled WiFi because they had a wired network).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I want to edit and correct some of my spelling in the above post. Where has the "Edit" button gone? All I have now is a "Delete" button.
Sorry - very off topic.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I still use WEP because i get problems with connections using WPA. Thing is if someone is looking for free internet access there are loads of other unsecure routers about that are easier to use.

WEP? Tut Tut, that's very easy to crack?

As for securing via MAC Address, that too is easily cracked. WPA2 is the very minimum you should implement and if possible stop broadcasting your SID.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps - If your router is only two years old it should have WAP2. Did it come with a set-up CD? if not, internet search for the on line manual from the manufacturers web-page. It should give you a HowTo to increase the level of security on the router, usually acces the router from your WebBrowser using the IP address of the router.

Note - as per my previous reply, even the "Delete" button has gone now, all that is left is the "Quote" button. Why would I want to quote myself? I already talk too much!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WEP? Tut Tut, that's very easy to crack?

The problem is when I've tried WPA the other PCs connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect....

I've tried resetting everything so perhaps it's time for a new router

However I'll hide my SSID for now.

The problem with WEP being "easy to crack" is i suspect this is true for teams of security experts and people who maybe targeting specific businesses and institutions. I suspect the average war driver will just hop on any open router to gain free access. At the same time i also suspect that my front door is "easy to crack in seconds" if you are a lock smith and I'll bet there are 10 times as many locksmiths as "war drivers" in the UK.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya but I could download a prog and hack your WEP password in 30 secs. That's something that many more than committed wardrivers can now do.

WPA2 is still relatively secure. I'd be looking to debug the cause of the disconnects rather than trust WEP. Don't mean to teach you to suck eggs but I used to do security surveys for companies with WLAN and it's frighteningly easy to crack.

But yes, it is so easy to locate open AP's that for simple access to a web connection there are easier pickings.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul - you could try changing the broadcast frequency? i've had that before and changing frequency solved it.

could be that a nearby wifi is using similar frequency and causing issues?

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the frequency thing and no go. Also just found i can't hide my SSID, so looks like new router sometime soon....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Tried the frequency thing and no go. Also just found i can't hide my SSID, so looks like new router sometime soon....

Wow, what router is it?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo WYR-G54

Another annoance is when you log into the router you can't see all the page so you have to keep refreshing the page until most of it appears!! It was set up ages ago and aside from the occasional (6 monthly) reboot it works fine, but good excuse to trawl eBay for a new one.... Cool
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

virgin will give you an adequate free netgear one.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: