Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Invisible PoIs and other irritations: Rider 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible PoIs and other irritations: Rider 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Invisible PoIs and other irritations: Rider 2 Reply with quote

I recently experienced a problem withmy Rider 2 when the connection between the TT and my phone was dropping after about 15 seconds. I contacted the TT support line and followed their instructions to remove and re-install the application (version 7.901). This had no effect on my "challenge" (as they choose to call problems!) and they suggested that I return the unit for a repair. I was a little reluctant to do this, not wishing to have to be without the unit for several weeks. I therefore re-installed the original SD card, app 6.581 (I normally use a second card, keeping the original in its un-modified state) and found that the phone worked properly. From this I deduced that there was no problem with the hardware and that the problem was software related. I then made another copy of my second card, deleted all of the files and copied the original card onto the second one. Since I had purchased an updated map, I downloaded this onto the second card. When I restarted the Rider, disconnected from the computer, it failed to find any map. Suspecting a mis-match between the app (6.581) and the map (v835.2421), I decided to update the app even though this might take me back to the problem with the phone cutting out after about 15 seconds. It did!

I now have a device that:
a) Disconnects the bluetooth connection with the phone after around 15 seconds
b) Tells me that it is using app 7.901
c) Tells me that the map is v6.581 but TT HOME thinks is v835.2421
d) Cannot find any of my added PoIs even though both TT HOME and my PC can see the relevant .ov2 files. The most worrying part about this is that I am also missing the cameras too!

Any advice or suggestions please?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many POIs have you got installed? How many maps are now on the SD card?
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, thanks for the swift reply. I have 57 PoI files and one map on the card. I have also notice that there is a PoI folder on the card with 15 files with a .tlv extension. I hadn't noticed these before.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "poi" folder on the card is just used by "Home" to keep track of POIs you've loaded using that.
The POI files them selves (.ov2 and .bmp extensions) still need to be present in the folder for the map you are actually using.
Plug the TomTom into your PC via USC connection and examine the card with windows Explorer to look for the POIs.

As you rightly assumed, the new v8 map cannot be seen properly by the old v6 software.

The most confusing part of your info is (c) - Where is the Rider telling you it is using map v6.581? Are you tapping the signal strength bars and then tapping the small "version" box to get to the page of text?
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info about the poi folder and confirming my suspicion about the incompatibility between the v 6.xx app and the v 8 map..

I've just re-checked the map folder using WinExplorer and, yes there are .ov2 and .bmp files for all of the PoIs that should be there.

You are correct in assuming that the information from the Rider was obtained by tapping the 'version' box on the screen.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman wrote:

You are correct in assuming that the information from the Rider was obtained by tapping the 'version' box on the screen.

Hmm... so just to get this straight....When you're running the proper software 7.901 and both you and Home think the right map is installed (v835), that screen of text is saying v6.581....?

And you reckon there is only one map folder installed?

Have a look in that map folder and read the contents of the mapname.pna file with notepad.
The third and forth lines of text should give the version and build numbers.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Unless there is a map masquerading as something like "zip" Very Happy there is only the one map folder.

mapname.pna reads:
Line 3: 835
Line 4: build=2421
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely won't help in this case but it won't hurt......

What if you try the Clear Flash tool found here (you may have to set the country to United States for the link to work).

Run it 3 times.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman wrote:

mapname.pna reads:
Line 3: 835
Line 4: build=2421

...and the text page says otherwise...?
Bizarre!

I'm glad dhn thought of the next thing to try, Thumbs Up 'cos otherwise that's got me stumped for a moment!

Go clear that Flash! (Don't worry, you won't lose ANY personal settings by running it)
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dhn and Andy.

I have run the clear flash utility five times in succession (the extra two 'to be sure' 'to be sure' Very Happy )

Still no change.

Is it worth following the TT support solution again, do you think? This is:

Quote:

On our website, we have a public FAQ regarding your issue. Please take a look at the following link: http://www.tomtom.com/1898 and follow the steps on the website.

If you are still having a challenge with your TomTom, please read below and follow the steps below to reinstall your software and resolve the issue. We appreciate that this may look a little bit involved, but the steps below are necessary to cover all eventualities.

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

STEP 2 Make a Backup

STEP 3 Run a Disk Error check

STEP 4 Delete the Application Files

STEP 5 - Now we need to delete the application files from your PC so that HOME will offer them as an update

STEP 6 - Update your device

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought so... not if you've done it once already.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've found a solution but not exactly the way I wanted to! I bought another 1Gb SD card and copied the files from the original card on to it. I then went through the process of updating the applicationfrom 6.581 to 7.901. Having done this I then updated the map to the one I had bought previously. This meant that I had to reload the files for my chosen PoIs, my favourite voice files etc. and then reset the PoI warnings for the speedcam entries - very time consuming! Still, at least I now have a working Rider!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: