Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
MacFixer, the iPhone, iPod, and iPad specialists
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 90 Percent of Wakefield's Speed Cameras Are Dummies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

90 Percent of Wakefield's Speed Cameras Are Dummies

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RobBrady
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 2718
Location: Chelmsford, UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: 90 Percent of Wakefield's Speed Cameras Are Dummies Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Wakefield Express have reported that drivers have a 90% chance of not being caught when speeding past the town's cameras.

During a neighbourhood police team meeting, Bob Wyatt, Wakefield Council's senior traffic engineer claimed "The chance of there being a camera within each speed camera box isn't very high. There are some that I know where there's never been a camera."

He also confirmed that even when speeding past the remaining working cameras within a 30mph zone, a driver would normally have to exceed 36mph to be prosecuted.

People attending meeting were also told that Wakefield had one of the lowest accident rates in West Yorkshire and the UK.
_________________
Robert Brady
Editor, Pocket GPS World
The Premier GPS / SatNav Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 10118
Location: Bexhill, South Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Percent of Wakefield's Speed Cameras Are Dummies Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Wakefield Express have reported that drivers have a 90% chance of not being caught when speeding past the town's cameras.

Bob Wyatt, Wakefield Council's senior traffic engineer claimed "The chance of there being a camera within each speed camera box isn't very high. There are some that I know where there's never been a camera."

I don't suppose either party is willing to share with us which are real and which are dummies. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member


Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Wakefield all the time and wondered how they could afford so many cameras. Must say they are very polite drivers, unlike their counterparts in Glasgow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeB
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 20/08/2002 11:51:57
Posts: 3859
Location: Essex, UK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Percent of Wakefield's Speed Cameras Are Dummies Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
News Team wrote:
Wakefield Express have reported that drivers have a 90% chance of not being caught when speeding past the town's cameras.

Bob Wyatt, Wakefield Council's senior traffic engineer claimed "The chance of there being a camera within each speed camera box isn't very high. There are some that I know where there's never been a camera."

I don't suppose either party is willing to share with us which are real and which are dummies. Shocked

I depends what they mean by dummies. It used to be the case with the old wet film cams that the innards could be switched around so you could never tell the real ones from the dummies.
_________________
Mike Barrett
Editor, PocketGPSWorld.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dcfjm
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 14, 2006
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notified pocketGPSworld to 3 cameras when they were installed in Wakefield...but I wouldnt like to be the one to ''try them out''...the 3 near me do slow everybody down..If you want to take chances with cameras..be it on your own head...its a well known fact that not all cameras have film in all the time..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
banger9365
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 30, 2005
Posts: 79
Location: wakey (uk)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there might not be a camera in the gatso's put they do slow us lot down shame about the taxi's in wakey .
what we got 20 odd cameras and only one or two work on 3 roads

they are dummys ,you can see when you go passed them, there is no camera in them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
culzean
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Aug 04, 2006
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess having a 90% chance of not being caught by a camera is the same as you having a 10% chance of being flashed - still too high a probability for me to lose 3 points on a 9 to 1 bet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 1618
Location: East Hertfordshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably reduce the odds by following the taxis, banger9365 Smile If anyone knows the dummies, they will!

Certainly when going round London's North Circular when it's busy, it's fairly obvious which cameras (presumably regular) drivers think need paying attention to Rolling Eyes
_________________
David
(Navigon 70 Live, Nuvi 360)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
21.014 (25 Jan 23)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping