Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map 835.2419 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map 835.2419 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
They *should* be there....

You're not looking in the "pois" folder are you? That's just used by 'Home' to keep a track of stuff that *it* has added.

No, I definitely looked in the map sub-directory...actually, I also searched the entire device for file with "circuit" in the name. I suspect that the factory reset which El Incompitoes told me to do before I came here is the the culprit.

It annoys me that this is their suggested solution to every problem I have, and never actually solves the problem, but does always delete my preferences, favourites, and apparently now POIs

mikealder: The advice they gave me from 2nd line support was to delete just the map, and re-install via Home. I *didn't* do that, as by the time I finally received that advice, I'd looked here and found out how to fix it properly.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been sent a customer satisfaction survey by TomTom - not the usual post-support call one, a much longer and in-depth one about my experiences with TomTom in general and my 740 Live in particular. Very unfortunate timing on TT's part. Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
I've just been sent a customer satisfaction survey by TomTom -
Very unfortunate timing on TT's part. Twisted Evil

HaHa! Venting your spleen at them *almost* makes all the pain worthwhile, doesn't it? Laughing
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other thread re traffic no longer working. I have done everything from this forum, and everything from TT, and still no traffic.

Oh and no gnsdata file in the gns folder either. Crying or Very sad

Gary
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look to see if your traffic.dat and tmccodes.dat files showed 0 bytes on the unit?

(if so, extract the same files from the compressed map cab file and use Explorer to copy them to the route of the unit).
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fine, 6.3Mb for the big one, and 1kB or something for the little one. Can't tell you for sure, its back in the box, about to be drop kicked over the garden wall Laughing

Having driven to Birmingham airport this morning, from Milton Keynes at 7:30, and then to Heathrow late this afternoon, 300 miles all told, traffic would have been good, but no, its not available any more Mad

Gary
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and do a full Windows Explorer back up of your device.

Does it succeed? or do you get an error that it can't access a file?

Worth running a Windows Checkdisk with Automatically fix file system errors selected. If you get a hidden folder called FOUND.000 or similar then you had some corrupt files - time to get an old backup on the device after a full format as FAT32.

A hard reset and a clearflash or two might help as well.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no good.

Windows did find some errors. So formatted, FAT32. Reset. Clear Flash 3 times. Reinstall previous working backup.

And ..........

Nothing when plugging in the receiver. And also TT have gone quiet again. Last time I spoke to them on Monday, they are convinced its a software issue, and not hardware, thus they wouldn't fix it anyway, they only do hardware.

Geez

Gary
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anyone else from work or local to you with a TomTom device that will let you try plugging the RDS receiver in to their device, this will at least prove if the receiver is still functioning correctly - Mke
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't posted on here for some time as I decided to wait until things settled down a bit in respect of the latest map update.

Having kept my nice new ONE IQ routes edition - Europe in its box for well over a month (and claimed my £20 rebate!) I decided that the time had now come to take the plunge!

Last night I downloaded the latest version of Home (2.7.2.1825) and signed up with a new email address. On plugging in my device I was advised that a later map version was available (at over 2GB!) and was asked if I wished to download and install it... which I obviously did.

However I was somewhat horrified to be advised that the download would take about three and a half hours... and it was getting late. I did in fact grab an hours sleep, and came back later only to find that the download had failed at about 90% of the way through, but was rather relieved when I re-connected my TomTom and it seemed to pick up where it left off... albeit still very slowly!

(Continued in next post!)
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... continued.

Anyway it finally finished the download and then commenced the installation, which seemed to start off fairly quickl,y but then slowed down shortly after the half way mark. I did in fact think it had stopped altogether, but the file name changed occasionally, and the blue bar was definitely getting longer.

I reckon it must have taken nearly an hour just to update the maps, but as I did not receive any nasty error messages, I decided to let it complete the process... which it eventually did, so at about 2:30 am I decided to call it a night!

This morning I connected to Home again, and checked my map version, which was indeed 835.2419.

I was then advised that there were a load of other petrol price, POI, camera, and other files ready for me, including an important system one, all of which I decided to accept. It then went through a 20 stage process, but again completed everything in probably less than half an hour.

At the end of all this I appear to have a fully updated ONE, but can’t believe just how long it all took... and this is on a fast Pentium 4 PC with 4MB of RAM... but with rather a slow broadband connection... thanks BT!

It does therefore look as if TomTom have at last got their act together... for the moment anyway, so the time has now come for me to go out and do some navigating! Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!

First make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's device. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

THEN....go out navigating! Smile
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course! Smile

At the start of my first post I should have mentioned that I did in fact make a backup in this manner before doing anything else at all... but neglected to add 'show hidden files' first... doh!

Anyway, now that I have successfully installed all these lovely updates it is probably a good idea to do another one... but with all the files included this time!

Only then should I be able to venture out and 'hit the road'!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Montala
Yes, the slow download is due to your Broadband and its not Tomtom’s fault. My download takes about two hours and I am quite envious when I see other users download in 30 mins. However, you can let it start the download and go off to bed or whatever and if it stops you can resume where it left off. That’s better then the old days when one had to start all over again. I think Tomtom have now got their act together as regards map downloads.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Montala
Yes, the slow download is due to your Broadband and its not Tomtom’s fault.

But the slow install is!

For some daft reason, TomTom only put the incredibly slow USB 1 support on the ONE models, rather then the USB2 found on the Go's.

(Edited for typo only)

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: