Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA to Smartphone upgrade ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA to Smartphone upgrade ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul363636
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: PDA to Smartphone upgrade ? Reply with quote

Hi - not sure if this is my first post or not - either way I have been a very satisfied onwer of an Ipaq 2490 and Holux 236 BT receiver running, with vitually no problems, TT Ver 6, Memory Map and GPSGate. Over the 3 or so years I have invested in considerable OS mapping (50k and 25k mapping of various parts of the UK)

The time has come to consider upgrading to something a bit more modern and perhaps ditch my old phone and the rats nest of chargers and cables.

I'm therefore considering a Windows Mobile based smartphone such as the HTC Touch Diamond 2 or HTC Touch HD as a possible upgrade path.

My constraints are:-

1) I want to run MM and be able to port all my hard earned maps to the new device

2) I want a display at least as large as that on my PDA (ideally with greater and useable resolution) and ideally the display should perform better in sunlight than that on my PDA

3) On my PDA I have programmed one of the buttons to switch off the display - which probably gives over 12 hours of continuous Memory Map usage - far, far more than my average walk. Can a Smartphone match this?

Therefore does anyone have experience of porting MM and TT to a smartphone and what are the pitfalls? or should I completely forget the idea?
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Memory Map user but I did move my TT6 from an old Ipaq to my HTC TyTN II.

It was seamless enough, although I did get a version of TT6 with my TyTNII from vodaphone. I loaded this version as it allows you to use the built in GPS receiver. I then when to www.ttcode.com and put my licence in to get it unlocked. Connected my phone up to TT Home and it then downloaded all my maps again straight to my smartphone.

I think there are version of TT6 for most HTC devices (in fact I think the version I used is freely available) but I'm fairly sure you can get it working with the original TT6 disks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start you won't get 12 hours from a PDA based phone with or without the backlight on, its possible to turn the phone off to consrve power but even so you will be lucky to get 5 hours from a unit with either its own internal GPS receiver running or connected via Bluetooth to your 236. You can purchase an external power pack which will give you far greater than 12 hours, for example I have one with 5400mA capacity and its no larger than a Mars bar!

The two devices you have mentioned both have unusual screen sizes which might make it difficult to locate software that will work with your device. 480x800, both devices can accept Micro SD cards upto 32 GB in capacity which is plenty large enough for Memory Map - even if you have the whole of the UK it will fit on to a single card in small chunks, don't load huge map areas in one go as they take up loads of memory and slow the PDA down. I keep MM map tiles down to below 200MB each and don't have any issues.

The maps with TTN6 are way out of date, if TomTom ever release a version 7 that is listed to work with either of your shortlisted devices then it might be worth considering it, otherwise look at Sygic, Co-Pilot, McGuider etc who are using very up to date maps - Mike
paul363636
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Many thanks for the advice - if (and its still a big IF) I decide to go down this road then I'll investigate the option of an auxilery power supply.

Yes, I agree TT6 is out of date - although it still serves me well for basic in car nav - although it does have the very occasional map error which can give rise to spurious routes.

And with Windows Mobile 6.5 released about now - I'll await reports on how well MM5 works with it.

Once again many thanks

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: