Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jailbreak Iphone 3gs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jailbreak Iphone 3gs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would modifying the copyright protected boot loader with Jailbreak differ from modifying the TomTom .exe for example?

There is little difference according to Apple.

A little light reading Laughing
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the law says otherwise its currently not illegal. I know there is a fine line here but as far as my conscience goes, I'm modifying hardware/software I own and I'm not pirating or otherwise stealing anything.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not infringing copyright (or pirating)to buy a book and make changes to your own copy - block out bits or change words you don't like. Its only if you then sell it on as your original. The same if you photocopy the original and sell on (or technically even keep as a copy) Its the same as Mullet's first example. I've got a Ford - if I don't use Ford parts but a third party's it doesn't infringe copyright. Indeed, despite the efforts of manufacturers, it won't void the warranty either - unless they can prove it was the part which caused the problem. If I manufacture a copy of the Ford engine modified or otherwise and sell it it would be different. Many other examples also. Or of course if I modify the engine or supercharge it - I haven't broken the law - but might reasonably void the warranty!

Thats why the EFF request to make it legal is not only reasonable - but is actually trying to stop Apple making it illegal. Witness Apple latest claim that jailbreaking (not unlocking, which changes the baseband!) could bring down the mobile towers in evil hands. No problem with any other phone on the market - just the iPhone. Its all bo****ks - but then so is arguing about it with anyone wearing blinkers.

If you take a JB phone into Apple, they'll refuse to repair under warranty maybe - bot no-one has been sued by Apple for breaking the law by JB'ing. I'll bet they would if they could!

Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Until the law says otherwise its currently not illegal. I know there is a fine line here but as far as my conscience goes, I'm modifying hardware/software I own and I'm not pirating or otherwise stealing anything.

You are right, it's a fine line, and if you have brought an Iphone out of contract from a carrier, then you have a very good point, but if you are on a contract with a carrier for example o2, then you don't actually own the phone, and the restrictions are much more severe, and I believe it is against o2's and Apples terms of conditions to modify the phone or it's contents in any way without prior permission.

Please don't take my stance to be one of against Jailbreaking, my phone is jailbroken, BUT, I am under no illusion I have broken my terms and conditions.

And I wonder how many would have read the various posts on here advising them, and directing them to sites that help them to carry out jailbreaking, have realised with a jailbroken phone, they don't actually have to purchase another app again, they can get it for free!

So the statement that the dev team support developers, taking the above into account, doesnt really add up does it?

To old to die young.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The devil's got more advocates here than there's enough rotweilers for!

I/you/anybody can no more get an application for free with a JB as un-JB - unless its pirated - which no one is advocating. There you are, we've told 'em. There are plenty of free apps in the app store as well as in Cydia. Equally quite a lot of stuff on Cydia is paid for as well. I've yet to see anybody offering a pirate version of for example a nav app Sad Or do you know some way to get one onto a JB phone without paying?

And no more would I use it as you. JB'ing does not mean "you never have to pay for an app again".

I certainly don't however get permission from Apple and O2 every time I load an application from the APP store - and that's modifying its contents!

Clealry once Apple finally gets to be approved as god and a law entirely unto itself, we're all going to end up in the clink. See you there. We'll probably get let off though because there's an awful lot of people who've jailbroken and I can't see Apple (or O2)wanting to lose the revenue . . .

I've got my eye on a natty set of duds with a really neat arrow pattern

Cheers, Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm modifying hardware/software I own

I doubt this is the case, you are using the software under licence in a similar manner to the PGPSW safety camera data. But in the case of Jailbreak the copyright protected software has been modified and distributed, then installed on your phone. This is a leap forward from the TomTom 7 fracas that was forbidden to be discussed for months. The difference is TomTom choose to turn a blind eye but Apple don't.

@ anothergpsmike,
Your understanding of the situation is blurred. The examples in your first paragraph have nothing to do with DRM protection.

Quote:
I certainly don't however get permission from Apple and O2 every time I load an application from the APP store - and that's modifying its contents!

Again, this has nothing to do with modifying the copyright boot loader.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a quick check around - up to around 30? million iPhones of all models, sold worldwide, believed something over 2 million phones (and touches) jailbroken (before the GS came out).

So that's 2 million of us in jail and around half a billion £s of revenues. Its going to be crowded and we'll probably have to make our own uniforms.

They're coming to take me away . . .

Mike
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my understanding is not blurred - DRM has nothing to do with it - its software copright. Which incidentally, I do know (a helluva) lot about. Read the example about a book. As Darren says its NOT illegal and that's it. If I modify my copy and do not sell or pass it on its entirely up to me - I just won't get support. You can modify copyright material for own use - that's not infringing copyright. If you actually read standard software agreements, that's what they state.

Come on cheer up all.

Riddle, what lives in a cave or under a bridge?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem! Just to lighten the mood a little...

A newbie question, apologies (newbie to jb, that is).

If, (theoretically only, mind), I jb my iphone 3G, what are the implications for wishing to continue using it as if it were not jb'd?

EG... does every aspect of iTunes interaction continue to work (normally)?
Can I reinstall (if necessary) a backup created prior to jb, once I jb? If so, what happens to my jb status?
Can I reinstall (if necessary) a backup created when jb'd onto a factory reset iPhone?
Can I continue to backup my jb iPhone? (I ask as I wonder what happens to 'unapproved' content if I try to reinstall to a factory refreshed iPhone)
Can I continue to make app store purchases and regular app updates (I think the answer is going to be yes!)

I'm assuming the backup process does not: backup the firmware, nor the applications, only supporting application files and system preferences etc.

Sorry for daft questions, but I can't actually find answers to such simple questions anywhere; all I do understand is that each software update cannot be directly loaded to a jb phone (or is it that the act returns it to non jb status?) and therefore a new jb solution is required with each update.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:

Riddle, what lives in a cave or under a bridge?

Name calling isn't big and it isn't clever, it just shows a degree of shallowness.

If we cannot debate without it why bother?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Name calling isn't big and it isn't clever, it just shows a degree of shallowness. If we cannot debate without it why bother?

Damn! I think I know the answer as well!! Oh well... {wanders away disconsolately}
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

Sorry for daft questions, but I can't actually find answers to such simple questions anywhere; all I do understand is that each software update cannot be directly loaded to a jb phone (or is it that the act returns it to non jb status?) and therefore a new jb solution is required with each update.

I looked into this in depth many moons ago so my memory may be vague.

IIRC if you update the Apple OS then you await for a new version of Jailbreak to become available.

What I cannot recall is if you need to reinstall all the 3rd party apps and data, which would be an obvious bind.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any trouble using Itunes for new apps, music, synching backup or whatever after JB - but I've not had to restore from a backup. Better wait for Darren about use of backups. I do know if you restore or update to a new OS version it will "un JB" the phone - don't know about if the actual JB apps disapppear.

you are right generally each new OS version needs a new jailbreak although sometimes backwards compatible. This is because the new OS version un JBs the phone as above.

But I'm fairly new to JB, (equally not new to ICT s/w, phones and GPSs!)
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cap fits? I was flaming and being flamed before some people were out of short trousers that's all. Just trying to offer some constructive help and not shoot down everything anybody else says . .

So I agree lets get back to helping the people who need it and stop nitpicking Apple or playing fanboy.

Please?

Mike[/quote]
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:
I was flaming and being flamed before some people were out of short trousers that's all.

Ah I see, you should be pleased to hear flaming is neither necessary or accepted in these forums.

Agreed. It's finished with.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: