Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OpenStreetMap Data Now Available on Submission Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenStreetMap Data Now Available on Submission Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
MaFt wrote:
there's a lot in OSM too! speed limits, speed bumps, rumble strips, chicanes, traffic lights, mini-roundabouts, turning circles (eg end of cul-de-sac).
MaFt

Last night I added my local mini-roundabout to OSM by zooming in close and drawing a small circular road. Cleaned up the data using the button that looks like a row of dots and I have a nice small circular roundabout.

Did I do wrong? Should I have simply selected the point were all the roads meet and tagged it as a mini-roundabout?

I am new to OSM and trying to update my local area but I don't want to make their data worse in my attempts to improve it!

that would imply a real roundabout where the road physically goes in a circle. a mini-roundabout, as far as i am concerned, is a straight road with a lump of white paint in the middle.

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the roundabout in question is a junction with a blob of white paint in the middle. I will correct my correction Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the tip on the 'make a nice circle' button too - i used that today when adding a real roundabout near me on my travels! thought i'd make the most of PGPSW site being down this morning so logged and added about 10-12 miles of roads in the next village :D

MaFt
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth remembering that TomTom make the owner pay for their mapshare thing when you actually do the work yourself and fill it in for them!!!

Reminds me of that old BlackAdder episode were they are off to the Cape of Good Hope, Melchett gives them a map of the area and says:

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you. It's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."
(The map is completely blank.)
"They'd be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Melchett must have been a founder of Teleatlas!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this re: maxspeed: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed

basically, it seems like they have default speeds set for the road type so not all teh speeds need adding, only those that differ from the norm. however, it sort of implies that the speed needs putting in in kph Twisted Evil which could cause confusion and potentially the stupid rounding errors as seen in TomTom mapshare speed edits!

further reading and i find this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed

which states you need to specify mph eg: '30 mph'

BUT says that default speeds aren;t doen automatically, you need to put the speed as 'DE:motorway' i.e. the default motorway speed for that country...

perhaps we should split this thread or all join the OSM forums to discuss!

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! I have messed up again. Embarassed I have been tagging all the roads that I have added in town as maxspeed 30. The problem is that I now don't know what I should be tagging them as. DE:urban? maxspeed 30 mph? Confused

The maps are wonderfully versatile with a tag for everything you can think of. If the tag doesn't exist then you can create a new one. The problem is that as a beginner l would much prefer a simple set of tags that I should add e.g. Road type, name, maxspeed with clearly defined rules for the values allowed for the tags. In that way I will be helping the project rather than degrading it.

Is there a way to select all the roads in an area and change a tag for the whole lot in one go?

Edit: Following our earlier discussion on mini roundabouts I have discovered that just tagging a point as a mini roundabout is not adequate in the UK.
Quote:
Use direction=clockwise to identify clockwise mini-roundabouts. Anticlockwise is the default rendering when not specified

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re speed limits - been chatting to others via the wiki pages and the 'DE' was an idea being bandied around for german users to set different road speeds per vehicle... simply leave it blank and the default speed will be used, only add the speed when it is not a 'standard' speed, eg a 50mph stretch on a motorway, or a 20mph local road. MAKE SURE you put mph! ie: '30 mph'

didn;t think you could change teh rotation of a mini-roundabout? the rotational direction only seems to appear for an actual physical round bit of road...?!

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
didn;t think you could change teh rotation of a mini-roundabout? the rotational direction only seems to appear for an actual physical round bit of road...?!
From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway for "Highway - mini-roundabout".

Quote:
Rendered as anti-clockwise by default. To render clockwise add the tag "direction=clockwise."

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but there's no 'direction' tag available under the mini-roundabout point... Confused
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but there's no 'direction' tag available under the mini-roundabout point... Confused

Using Potlatch you can click the + to Add a new tag and then type in "direction" as the tag and "clockwise" as the value of it.

I still can't find any way to select a whole bunch of roads to correct my 30 mph error Sad
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I don't suppose we can get that onto my TomTom to take to Corfu next week? It's got my holiday village on (and rather importantly, the road to it!).

What's a GPS logger or software capable of logging?

The 2010.10 maps have greatly improved Greece coverage but they still lack a lot of names and POIS. So far the best Garmin map for greece is provided by a company www.autodrivehellas.gr
you can view the website in english version as well.

I hope this helps
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out walking the streets with my GPS in the Weybourne and Hale districts of Farnham so the coverage is much better now. Not been arrested yet Wink Good way to keep fit too Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an aside. - I've been adding a few more roads on OSM in and around Figueres, Spain, and I have just noticed a natty little button entitiled "Where Am I?". Evidentlty I am on the Polish/Russian border in a place called Terespol. Presumably this works on my IP address. No wonder BBC iPlayer doesn't allow me to watch EastEnders Mad

Note to self- Do not complete my Tax Return on-line in future!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: