Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no promotion of the application on the TomTom website, but support topics are slowly picking up:

-----------------------
Question
Maps and Services for the iPhone 3G

Answer
Maps
Maps come bundled with TomTom for iPhone via the Apple App store. They’re not available from other sources.

Services
TomTom Services are not available for TomTom for iPhone at this moment.
-----------------------
Question
Making phone calls with iPhone while navigating

Answer
TomTom for iPhone stops when you make a call. It continues once you end the call.
-----------------------
Question
TomTom for iPhone compatibility

Answer
TomTom for iPhone is made for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G. It is not supported on the original iPhone or iPod Touch.
-----------------------

TomTom for iPhone - A thousand songs, a million roads, eating your wallet, failing to deliver
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too registered my interest and notification on the tomtom website .. an never got an email heard if from a more reliable source PGW.com. I like TomTom hardware but as a company they sux poor support poor HOME software and atrocious support. Also the Price is outrageous if Co-pilot can do it for 25 quid , Tomtom are being greedy

dant1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i downloaded the UK and ireland version this morning after getting frustrated with the Copilot version. Copilot was constantly recalculating and jumping signal ie when on motorway would suddenly jump to adjacent road.
I tried the tomtom on a 10min journey this morning, the gps lock seemed more accurate and never once lost signal. All in all I wish I had held out and waited for tomtom instead of getting the copilot version.
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s terrible that there appears to be no detailed information about what features it has.

Anybody know if it has text to speech ?
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid anyone expecting this to be as good as a dedicated pnd will likely be disappointed, the price makes it rather too expensive to be any sort of selling point as well.

IMHO the best avenue is a cheap app that makes it a worthwhile proposition, somewhere around £20 seems reasonable.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have TTS and doesn't employ map share and doesn't need TT Home on the PC. Only TTS is what I miss out of the above.

Edit to add some info from the other thread:

mikealder wrote:
UK & ROI map version is v830 so its based on the same map as was released nearly three months ago for the PND units. Application is v8,150 (339085).

If its got TTS then I have not looked hard enough as I cannot find it, just the standard human recorded voices are on offer, no options at all within the application that are TTS related.

IQ Routes-2 are installed and work just as well as the PND will the same number of options.

Call POI is very well set up, probably the best yet in this area

Music (if playing) is simply paused during Navigation instructions and isn't as well handled as Navigon with their lowering of the volume during instructions.

TomTom have included their Safety Camera database on the device, but the display can get messy from time to time with the road name appearing over the top of the speed limit:

And with limitted Custom POI choices it looks like they don't want users using third party POI files on this, you can add custom POI files to the software in the same way as the PND units BUT there is no way of setting a warning up, all you can do is select it as visible on the map. Note to add custom POI files requires a Jailbroken phone.

(No guesses as to which are the first Custom POI files to get loaded!)

And what do they look like on the map:

Full postcode support is supplied and uses v830 postcode data.

I wanted to put the Liz Whitaker custom voice on the application, I added the file and the application refused to see the voice, in the end I renamed the file to one of the existing un wanted voices and copied that to the iPhone (jailbroken) and it works, so I can drive to work complete with the navigation voice I want to use :D its a shame though I cannot have custom POI warnings using the same voice like I can with the PND and PDA software.

The lack of Third Party POI files is a major let down, OK so I can have the icons on the map BUT no warnings, lets see what happens with it in use on a longer trip - Mike

As for custom POI yes you can add them if the phone is jailbroke, I have an idea I need to discuss with Lutz later for non jailbroke phones, problem is though the application has no built in POI warning function so it's a bit like TTN 3 on a PDA! But without CheckPOI warnings were never possible on TTN 3, this is something they have managed to replicate.

GPS reception seemed fine on the commute to work, and I will try the motorway on the way home to see if there is any lane guidance but I suspect not.
Volume wasn't an issue as was using the cars Bluetooth system to hear Liz Whitakers navigation instructions very clearly, again custom voices are supported if your phone is jailbroken, if not you only have standard voices to choose from - I happen to think Liz's voice is better than any standard one - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
WafuDude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Jailbroken Custom POI's Reply with quote

Is it likely that we will be able to add custom POI's (ie. Camera Database) to a jailbroken iPhone? This would be a great feature to add as I doubt that TomTom will allow this to be done legitamately Sad
WildRover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: First impressions Reply with quote

Encountered no problems downloading and installing the TomTom UK app. Initial impressions are that it feels more like a iPhone app than either Navigon UK or Sygic Europe. The following comments are based on very limited and basic use. The maps for my local area are less up to date than those used by Navigon UK and seem to be of a similar generation to those currently offered by Sygic. Getting an initial GPS fix took forever, although I have found the length of time taken using the other apps can also vary significantly. Route planning was straightforward, once underway the location indicator occasionally strayed from the road which I was on to parallel or nearby roadways, no more that I have experienced using the Navigon and Sygic apps. Out of town performance was rock solid. Spoken instructions were clear and route recalculations were performed quickly. Others have mentioned what the app does not do in terms of connectivity however I feel that what it does, it does well. As a long time TomTom user I felt quite at home with the app. I hope the cradle will provide a speedier GPS lock. My own practical solution to getting a quick GPS lock is to locate my position on Google Maps, provided that this is reasonably accurate switching to any of the SatNav apps gives me an instant GPS lock.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 05:30 this morning my iPhone had the PGPSW database installed on and working on the TT application, but there is no option for setting warnings, all the POI files do is appear in the correct place on the map. My phone is jailbroken, which does let me mess around with the files installed ( iPhone was boring without this ability, but I am well known for messing around with devices and software).
The point is we need custom POI warning, support for ogg audio files and the x2 bmp files otherwise putting the database on the phone isn't really much use unless you are looking at the screen all time which isn't viable when driving.
Whether we get this custom POI support added at a future point isn't known, somehow I doubt it will be added unless TT realise this will cost them in software sales - Mike
scandude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the various people that have already downloaded the app over the internet it seems like people like TomTom however I have a few concerns:-

1. It's 35GBP more expensive than CoPilot 8 and I cannot see the reason why?

2. It would require a seperate cradle/charger that will almost be availiable but at a price, looking at the belkin one that also transmits signals to your radio, about 70GBP, on top of the TomTom app thats 130GBP! now thats quite expensive and you could buy a standalone unit which will perform better as these often have 'proper' gps devices in them.

3. No 'Live' feature!! come on TomTom the iPhone HAS a gprs signal why not use it, Copilot does and is lots cheaper.

4. Map's not as upto date as Navigon!! I though TomTom was supposed to 'set the standard' when it comes to map updates?.

5. IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jailbroken Custom POI's Reply with quote

WafuDude wrote:
Is it likely that we will be able to add custom POI's (ie. Camera Database) to a jailbroken iPhone? This would be a great feature to add as I doubt that TomTom will allow this to be done legitamately Sad

As Mike said above, even if you do then you get no warnings so zero point.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scandude wrote:
2. It would require a seperate cradle/charger that will almost be availiable but at a price, looking at the belkin one that also transmits signals to your radio, about 70GBP, on top of the TomTom app thats 130GBP! now thats quite expensive and you could buy a standalone unit which will perform better as these often have 'proper' gps devices in them.

It no more requires that mount than any other iPhone app. It's an option.

But I take your point although with the dedicated cradle it would be at least as good as any other as the cradle has its won GPS receiver.
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and TomTom....where is the South Africa maps?? I do hope they release these too. If not then I wont be buying the European one either and will continue to use my PDA as a tomtom device although I would love to use the iPhone but without the options, there is just no point Very Happy
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Lack of TomTom live services Reply with quote

Probably no Live services due to tomtom's relationship with Vodafone and iPhone officially exclusive to rival networks.

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned on buying TT with the dock for my 3GS but on learning that the dock requires to make use of both the hardwire connection and bluetooth in order to work I don't think I'll bother with it.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/app_for_iphone/refman/TomTom-app-en-GB.pdf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: