Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on the App Store NOW!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on the App Store NOW!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its on the UK app store now.

Tomtom Australia £44.99
Tomtom New Zealand £54.99
Tomtom UK & Ireland £59.99
Tomtom US & Canada £59.99
Tomtom Western Europe £79.99

Downloading the UK version now. Will give it workout while I'm driving around today.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it came in at $99 US, not $125. So much for my confirmation Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK & ROI map version is v830 so its based on the same map as was released nearly three months ago for the PND units. Application is v8,150 (339085).

If its got TTS then I have not looked hard enough as I cannot find it, just the standard human recorded voices are on offer, no options at all within the application that are TTS related.

IQ Routes-2 are installed and work just as well as the PND will the same number of options.

Call POI is very well set up, probably the best yet in this area

Music (if playing) is simply paused during Navigation instructions and isn't as well handled as Navigon with their lowering of the volume during instructions.

TomTom have included their Safety Camera database on the device, but the display can get messy from time to time with the road name appearing over the top of the speed limit:

And with limitted Custom POI choices it looks like they don't want users using third party POI files on this, you can add custom POI files to the software in the same way as the PND units BUT there is no way of setting a warning up, all you can do is select it as visible on the map. Note to add custom POI files requires a Jailbroken phone.

(No guesses as to which are the first Custom POI files to get loaded!)

And what do they look like on the map:

Full postcode support is supplied and uses v830 postcode data.

I wanted to put the Liz Whitaker custom voice on the application, I added the file and the application refused to see the voice, in the end I renamed the file to one of the existing un wanted voices and copied that to the iPhone (jailbroken) and it works, so I can drive to work complete with the navigation voice I want to use :D its a shame though I cannot have custom POI warnings using the same voice like I can with the PND and PDA software.

The lack of Third Party POI files is a major let down, OK so I can have the icons on the map BUT no warnings, lets see what happens with it in use on a longer trip - Mike
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see it released. Any idea how map upgrades will be handled for those that buy? I take it, it'll be a complete new download from the app store?

On a seperate matter, I can see that app in the app store via itunes on my desktop pc but in the app store under navigation cat on my iphone- even when I'm looking at filtered by release date.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very tempted but if I can't easily add custom POIs and voices/icons unless it's jailbroken then I won't be buying it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is now officially launched, can I ask that we continue discussion in the news thread here.

It keeps our Google indexing stats up if the comments are in the thread linked to the news post. Not ideal given the thread has been going some time but there is reasoning behind the apparent madness!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: