Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [v8-WinMob] ALK Release CoPilot v8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[v8-WinMob] ALK Release CoPilot v8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: CoPilot 8 Mapping Reply with quote

Can any of the new purchasers tell the rest of us how up to date the maps data supplied are? In my CP7, the Navteq maps never changed from Q1 2007. Rolling Eyes
fabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my only benchmark so far is that the new layout at the A1 J45 (which is my local) is now up to date in C8 when it was not in the C7 trial.

If you've got any specific examples you want me to check let me know and i'll get a screen shot or 2.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecamp wrote:

To import POIs, image files need to be in PNG format (ok in itself except all the POIs I have are BMPs so a little bit of work required).

Irfanview is a simple graphics viewer and it can easily bartch convert files to png. http://www.irfanview.net/
Drift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetsleet wrote:
GeoBiker wrote:
Drift wrote:
OK maybe a simple question but how do you get CPv8 to show a QWERTY keyboard?

Confirmed: It is no longer available..! I HATE not having that option! What the *#&@! were they thinking!

you are kidding, right? Surely they can't have lost the qwerty layout? It's there in 7, where is the problem in keeping it in 8? This isn't a minor detail this is every time you use the app.
Please, tell me it isn't so!

(is this what they mean by:
"IMPROVED! Redesigned user interface...")

Ive been in touch with CP support and I can confirm that the QWERTY function is not available on CP v8 Evil or Very Mad

And I want my Traffic function back, but no joy there they ignored that request Evil or Very Mad

Gone for simples and now have TomTom One V3 1gig
Memory Map V5 on laptop and GPS.
I couldnt get on with Copilot V8
101sean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked mapping local to me in Ireland. The Cashel-Cullahill and Cashel- Mitchelstown sections of the M8 opened in the last 9-12 months are on there but the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section opened 3 months ago isn't. I assume that puts the mapping at around Q1 2009? No indication of it on the website. As all the local lanes are on with townland names it looks like it's still Navteq mapping here.

The loss of the QWERTY keyboard is a pain and a stupid omission.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QWERTY is being added ot the iphone version so i would assume that this will also spread onto android and winmo too?

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they release an update soon for this keyboard as I only like to use "Qwerty" sat in traffic earlier today I found it difficult just to enter a basic postcode - This applies to iPhone and the WM devices I am currently running the software on - Mike
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there is a lot to like in CP8, and the price is certainly attractive. But until they "un-improve" the UI by reinstating a qwerty keyboard instead of the default abc version I will stick with CP7.
I have also asked support about when Central 2.0 for pocket PC will be available, and when it is available will it be Vista 64-bit compatible, since the download link is for Android only.
I think they misunderstood the question since the answer was "it's not 64-bit compatible" (true for the current PPC CP7 Central software, not true for Android CP8 Central 2.0 software, and who knows for the yet-to-be announced PPC CP8 Central 2.0 software???)

PS - when is the full no-holds-barred review coming?
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetsleet wrote:
It seems like there is a lot to like in CP8, and the price is certainly attractive. But until they "un-improve" the UI by reinstating a qwerty keyboard instead of the default abc version I will stick with CP7.
I have also asked support about when Central 2.0 for pocket PC will be available, and when it is available will it be Vista 64-bit compatible, since the download link is for Android only.
I think they misunderstood the question since the answer was "it's not 64-bit compatible" (true for the current PPC CP7 Central software, not true for Android CP8 Central 2.0 software, and who knows for the yet-to-be announced PPC CP8 Central 2.0 software???)

PS - when is the full no-holds-barred review coming?

The qwerty keyboard is a must fix issue in my view. Entering a post code on a keyboard where you need to press a virtual "button" to switch from letters to digits is a nightmare.

Central 2.0 "for Android" seems to pick up my Touch Diamond fine.
I have Central 2.0 running on both Windows Server 2008 R2 RC (x64) and Win 7 RC (x64). Had to play around with the compatibility for a few minutes but it works. I need to reload my PCs with Win7 RTM this weekend so will check that too and report but I don't expect any problem. That's a major improvement to the previous version...
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 8 Mapping Reply with quote

sailorman wrote:
Can any of the new purchasers tell the rest of us how up to date the maps data supplied are? In my CP7, the Navteq maps never changed from Q1 2007. Rolling Eyes

Not sure how helpful this will be but they've updated the local roads (and I mean those roads that nobody drives on apart from the people leaving along them) around our village in France. The layouts are now correct and the names are correct too. The roads haven't changed for years though.

Some updates to roads around Wiltshire too but these are correcting previous errors rather than keeping up with new roads / new layouts.

I found the distance to exits off motorways misleading. You need to remove 200-300 yards (meters) to the distances CPL8 gives you. Not much but with some complex junctions it can cause trouble.
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Traffic info Reply with quote

Response from ALK tech support to my query about enabling traffic subs:
"In regards to your query, i would like to inform you that copilot v8 is not currently does not support the traffic also when you have the traffic on the v7 and upgrade to the v8 you will loose your traffic option - the v7 traffic is not compatible with the v8 application."

The CPL7 traffic service was so buggy and useless it hurt but this is outright theft in my books. The traffic subs were not sold as a version specific service and there is nothing in the marketing material / website that points this out.
Drift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the email confirming QWERTY was not included Ive sent my list of bug bears off to CP support regarding the lack of Traffic Live and QWERTY, and also the option of a user mannual (pedanctive I know).
Im thinking the more that ask they may just listen, deep breath Rolling Eyes

SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the user guide request, it can be found at http://guide.copilotlive.net/doku.php

I know it says CoPilot Desktop for Android but I think thats an error, when downloaded and run it certainly works OK with an XDA Orbit.

Luckily my wifes traffic sub had just run out so I guess the timing was right for us, but I would have been miffed too. Presumably it is a different service and was not compatible / transferrable.
sailorman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 8 Mapping Reply with quote

homecamp wrote:
sailorman wrote:

Not sure how helpful this will be but they've updated the local roads (and I mean those roads that nobody drives on apart from the people leaving along them) around our village in France. The layouts are now correct and the names are correct too. The roads haven't changed for years though.

Some updates to roads around Wiltshire too but these are correcting previous errors rather than keeping up with new roads / new layouts.

I found the distance to exits off motorways misleading. You need to remove 200-300 yards (meters) to the distances CPL8 gives you. Not much but with some complex junctions it can cause trouble.

I find that the distance to run in CPL7 is to the end of the exit marking rather than the start that you normally would expect. So I allow about 200yds less for the turn and it seems to work.

Thanks to everyone who has provided info on the maps - it looks like they are updated although when the next map update will be would appear to be "lap of the gods" stuff.

Until ALK resolve the 20 months of credit for my trafiic subscription, I'll not upgrade to version 8 though.
Drift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Spikey.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: