Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest ALDI bundle spec?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest ALDI bundle spec?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonderbadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Latest ALDI bundle spec? Reply with quote

This may be a silly question but does anybody know what the spec of the latest Aldi bundle will be? They are making a big thing of it being £x cheaper than last year so presumably it should compare like for like... ie 400MHz? Although all the spculation as to the kit seems to point towards 266MHz so far... if this is the case is it still a good deal? (ok stupid questions over!) Embarassed
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wonderbadger lots of info on the net about the new Samsung processor. You can even see some comparisons with the Xscale processors.

Dont have the links to hand right now but will dig them out for you and add on to this post. (is there no edit function on this forum?).

From what I read it copes quite well against the Xscale 400mhz processors and uses less power therefore the PDA lasts a lot longer, some quotes were up to and above 8 hours.

Seems quite good to me cheers

Allan

Links to follow!
Wonderbadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Thanks Allan,
I was wondering if it was a case of newer processor design, but being completely new to the PDA world I dont have a clear idea of how well each processor performs... I will have a dig around for any info i can find between the two processors but if you can post the links that would be great!

Andy
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here some extracts from reviews from other PDAs withthe Samsung CPU followed by the web link for the whole article hope it helps. Dontf forget if you get the Aldi one you can always use the no quibble 12 months money back guarantee as Vicky of these forums has done on her old Aldi bargain PDA.

from http://www.bargainpda.com/?display=newReply&newsID=1485&forumID=49&forumName=PDA+Headline+News&topicID=3898&topicName=Writer+seeking+keyboard+for+ipaq+1945

Processor Performance and Explanation (Barry)

A Samsung processor? But is that as fast as XSCALE? Well the iPAQ 1940 is powered by the Samsung 2410 processor rated at 266 MHz. The Samsung 2410 is an ARM9-based processor. Microsoft worked with Samsung closely in the development of this chip just as it did with Intel for the XSCALE (also ARM-based). The bottom line is that this processor should be 100% compatible with any software designed for the XSCALE, since both processors are designed and optimized to run identical code (Including the Windows Mobile Operating System). My personal observation is that this chip is not only fast, but very power efficient as well. A major complaint of h1910 users was the battery life rated at 4 hours. This unit is rated at double that (8 hours), and the difference is certainly noticeable even when using Bluetooth and multimedia-based applications.

From http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ipaq_1940.htm there is a performance table on here which I cant post here due to formatting. It compares the Samsung with XSCALE 300/400mhz processors. Have to be honest the figures mean nothing to me!! Can anyone enlighten as to the performance?? please Smile

From

Test results
We started our tests with the VOBenchmark and then turned to the Spb Benchmark from Spb Software which includes a wide range of tests for almost all aspects of PDA operation. The diagrams and summary tables are available [url]http://www.ixbt.com/portopc/pda/hp/1940/1940.zip [/url].

The first test suite of the VOBenchmark estimates performance of the Samsung 2410 CPU. The processor is based on the ARM9 architecture and has a higher clock (266 MHz) and a higher integration degree compared to other ARM compatible chips - the processor integrates some peripheral controllers earlier based on different dies. This made possible to reduce the cost of the hardware platform. The Samsung 2410 is actually positioned as one of the components of a Pocket PC system with a color display for the sub$200 niche. So, this is a very cheap CPU with a sufficient performance level for undemanding users.

The VOBenchmark shows that the Samsung 2410 is much more efficient than the Intel PXA250 (XScale) 200 MHz used in budget Pocket PCs. The advantage over the 206MHz Intel StrongARM of the similar architecture is not that considerable. At the same time, it falls behind the PXA250 400 MHz used for higher-class Pocket PCs by 30-40%.

The Spb Benchmark proves it. The Intel XScale PXA255 was used as a competitor, but it was clocked at 400 MHz and got equal results with the PXA250 400 MHz in the CPU tests. In the MFLOPS and MWIPS the PXA255 beats the Samsung 2410 by 35%, and by 48% in MOPS. The PXA255 also outscores the Samsung 2410 by 40% in the integer CPU Index test. Compared to the PXA250 200 MHz the Samsung works faster by 70% in the MFLOPS and MWIPS, and by 35% in MOPS.

The graphics tests demonstrate that this system is pretty efficient, like in the h1910. In the VOBenchmark of one-color rectangle rendering, which actually measures the video buffer fill rate and performance of the video buffer/LCD tandem, both lower-level PDAs have much higher scores than the competitors. The picture in the vector graphics tests is more complicated as the performance depends both on a video subsystem and CPU. The fast video controller and the efficient CPU made a good combination - the h1940 outscores the h1910 whose PXA250 200 MHz is much slower, and it takes leading positions in the most tests. In the turbo mode the ASUS MyPal A600, an example of another kind of the system balance (fast 400MHz XScale and average-level video system), performs pretty well, but it yields to both iPAQs. Although the Spb Benchmark is more complicated, its scores are still very close to the Graphics Index of the h1940 which looks better than the others. The h1910 score also high results here, and I think that the h1940 fully inherits the platforms of the h1910, which was only adapted for the new processor. That is why it's not only exterior that brings together both PDAs.

The fast video controller delivers smooth management for users even on the h1910 with its weak processor - it prevents delays in rendering of animated pictures in the menu, windows etc., i.e. it manages to make up for the low system performance in day-to-day business tasks. But more or less heavy tasks like video playback would reveal its real performance.

One more benchmark demonstrating the overall PDA performance is video playback in DivX with the Pocket DivX;) 0.8. This program is not fully compatible with the h1940, but it managed to play the file and take measurements. It lost no frames out of 1530, but the image quality was too bad in dynamic scenes as it seemed that the pixels got mixed. It means that the new-generation budget PDAs based on the Samsung 2410 are not fully suitable for video playback in the DivX/MPEG-4 especially if image quality is vital. Taking into account the high image quality in the lower-level iPAQs the competitive PDAs based on the same platform will look even worse.

More to follow as I find them
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh forgot link to last review of CPU http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/ipaq-1940/

Cheers

Allan
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic review as usual from Toms Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040109/ipaq_h1940-01.html
read through for info on the CPU quite an interesting article on the whole!.

p.s. Hope mods on here dont mind all these external site links if there is a problem please edit/remove my posts. Just trying to inform people thats all Smile

Cheers

Allan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: