Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Logging out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Logging out Reply with quote

It's just a small thing, but every time I use the site I find it frustrating to have to navigate back to my account page to log off.

Any chance of adding a "Log Out" button to your banner so it appears at the top of every page?

There, I finally got that off my chest. I'm so relieved I nearly used a smiley!

Martin

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of every forum page i have

Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Profile No new messages Log out [ PaulB2005]

Do you not? To the right of the Download Here graphic for the Speed Camera Database
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always use the 'Log Out' link in the drop down menu at the top of the site! hover over 'GPS Forums' to see it.

i have refrained, also, from using a smiley!

MaFt
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of every forum page i have

Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Profile No new messages Log out [ PaulB2005]

Do you not? To the right of the Download Here graphic for the Speed Camera Database

Hi Paul.
I really, really don't want to sound facetious, but your reply made my brain hurt. Could you run that by me again in slightly plainer english old chap? Ta

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timtom wrote:
Hi Paul.
I really, really don't want to sound facetious, but your reply made my brain hurt. Could you run that by me again in slightly plainer english old chap? Ta

scroll up about 10 inches (depending on your monitor size) and you will see 'Log out [ timtom ]'

click it and it logs you out!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Logging out Reply with quote

No problem with that, but the facility only appears in the forums (this is the first time I've used them on this site).

Using IE8 under Vista the drop down menus are not clear (i.e. the bottom of the text for each sub section is missing), therefore it's not immediately obvious without peering closely that logging out is available there. Haven't experienced probs with any other site though. I've just checked with XP on my laptop and all is readable.

Technicalities apart though, the aim of my original query was to see if you'd consider putting an easily accessible Log Out button on the banner. I, like many tend to nip into the site only occasionally for a camera updates or maybe read something more in depth from the newsletters. I'm just used to seeing such a link go hand in hand with "Home" "Search" and "Contact". I don't suppose you'll please all the people all or the time though.

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above your own post - in the panel top right

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging out Reply with quote

timtom wrote:
Using IE8 under Vista

Mozilla Firefox Rools OK?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never met her personally, but she sounds a real minx Dennis

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE8, quite honestly, should never have been released. It has more flaws than a set of high-rise flats (albeit spelt differently) particularly with regards to web standards such as CSS. Our menu uses CSS (much safer than javascript) and IE8 just doesn't play. You can get around this by adding our site to the 'compatibility view' in IE8 so it renders it as though it was IE7. This isn't just limited to our site though, if you look in the default sites that should use compatibility mode you will see lots of Microsoft sites... Surely IE8 should have been made to work with their own sites?!

Anyway, rant over! I recommend using IE7 mode or getting one of the many other browsers that are updated more frequently (and therefore are more secure) and also follow international web standards as set by the W3C (world wide web consortium) of which Microsoft were one of the founding companies! FireFox, Opera, Safari and Chrome all fit the bill nicely and will all import favourites / bookmarks / history etc from IE so you don;t have to retype them all!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
lost: 2 shift keys; approx 10 years ago; reward if found
MaFt

Seems like you've found them. Or are you using someone else's keyboard.

But back to on topic. What's all this about logging off anyway? I never do. What dire consequences can I fall foul of by not logging off? Shocked Can someone steal my lifetime membership? Rolling Eyes My computer logs me on automatically (almost always)and saves me the grief of 'Module Not Active' error that occurrs if I log out. Very Happy
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I log in, therefore I just naturally log out. To site one example of why someone needs to do that: In the case of publically accessed or workplace computers, would Pocketgpsworld want everyone with access to freely download the camera database? I'm just doing my bit to protect our mutual interests.

I can't help feeling what started as a simple observation is getting out of hand now. Can no one see my point? If you consider I'm a casual user who until now has never ventured into the forums except to highlight this minor issue. I see an email newsletter saying the latest camera updates are available. I duly log in, download and then want to log off. From that page (and everywhere except forums) I have to hunt around to do it. Why would I naturally go to a drop-down menu labelled forums to find my way out? It's just not logical or intuitive. I re-iterate one of my earlier comments that most sites group the essentials like Log in/out, Search, Contact etc together and make them plainly and easily available from any page. either in a top banner or side pane.

OK guys, I've banged on far longer than intended (or thought necessary for such a relatively minor issue). Thanks to all for the constructive comments along the way, particularly MaFt re the IE8 compatibility tip - it works. I don't intend following the thread any further. I just ask that the issue be considered from a casual user's stand point.

Cheers. Martin

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timtom wrote:
I log in, therefore I just naturally log out. To site one example of why someone needs to do that: In the case of publically accessed or workplace computers, would Pocketgpsworld want everyone with access to freely download the camera database? I'm just doing my bit to protect our mutual interests.

indeed - shared computers are a different beast and it is wise, as you suggest, to ensure you are logged out from these.

timtom wrote:
I can't help feeling what started as a simple observation is getting out of hand now. Can no one see my point? If you consider I'm a casual user who until now has never ventured into the forums except to highlight this minor issue. I see an email newsletter saying the latest camera updates are available. I duly log in, download and then want to log off. From that page (and everywhere except forums) I have to hunt around to do it. Why would I naturally go to a drop-down menu labelled forums to find my way out? It's just not logical or intuitive. I re-iterate one of my earlier comments that most sites group the essentials like Log in/out, Search, Contact etc together and make them plainly and easily available from any page. either in a top banner or side pane.

as you may have noticed we are short of real estate Laughing i do see your point though and will mention this to the team. as a compromise would a 'log out' link under the 'members' drop down menu be more logical? when we redid the whole top menu we were regular users and so it is often hard to gage how this would be managed by a 'casual user' as you say.

timtom wrote:
OK guys, I've banged on far longer than intended (or thought necessary for such a relatively minor issue).

it's not that minor really! site accessibility is pretty darn important! ok, while it boils down to the location of a single link, the implications reach quite a bit further. we know that not every member/subscriber uses the forums but because we i am at the same computer for 12 hours most days and regularly use (and abuse) the forums and download the database i've never thought of logging off and how those who don't use the forums manage to log off if needed!

timtom wrote:
Thanks to all for the constructive comments along the way, particularly MaFt re the IE8 compatibility tip - it works. I don't intend following the thread any further. I just ask that the issue be considered from a casual user's stand point.

oi, you;re not leaving yet! you need to answer my question above (as a compromise would a 'log out' link under the 'members' drop down menu be more logical?)

MaFt
timtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEY. I knew there'd be empathy for the common man in the end. As you can tell, although I use the technology I don't obsess about it. I value the work you guys do, find the site useful/informative on occasions & make the best use of the camera database in my high mileage job.

Yes, a link in the members area drop down menu would be more logical than its current location, but still requires an element of effort. Whilst I was prepared to do it, others may not. In fact I'm sure of it. People tend to expect user friendliness/ease of use/spoonfeeding more and more these days. No matter how idiot proof you make it, someone will always make a better idiot as they say. Which is why I think providing an obvious, available everywhere Log Off button is the best option ... until the bigger idiot comes along.

Thanks for giving it serious consideration. Now I really do have other stuff to do. Therefore probably won't log in again until the next camera updates.

Last edited by timtom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: