Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safetycam alert sounds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safetycam alert sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Safetycam alert sounds Reply with quote

I have always had a quiet moan to myself in the past that I have had to add sound to the camera alerts on my TT720. The sounds offered were annoying to me and I have therefore gone for a voice warning.
However, on setting up my cameras recently I noticed there is now a "silent" sound, just what I want.
Just curious to know, was this always there and I missed it or is this something new on the lastest Navcore?
I have a trafficmaster unit in my car which gives a loud bleep when a sensor is passed and coupled with the safety camera bells and whistles my wife gets quite irrate especially on somewhere like the M25 with a multitude of cameras.
Women just don't understand that in this age of technology, you have to accept such things to keep on the right side of the law.
4Gb SDHC card
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Silence" is a sound effect option now available - it's in Navcore 8.351 and wasn't in Navcore 8.302 which I'm using.

Have you considered using OGG file warning sounds, or is it that any sound is unacceptable? The spoken OGG files we offer are different for each camera and speak the speed limit, rather more understandable and perhaps tolerable than bells and whistles.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the files dennis refers to say things like "warning gatso ahead, speed limit 30 miles an hour" and "warning, this is an average speed zone, speed limit 50 miles an hour" which are much kinder to your ladies ears Wink

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or some are a little less "wordy" than that... "Speed camera, 30" is all mine says. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the files dennis refers to say things like "warning gatso ahead, speed limit 30 miles an hour" and "warning, this is an average speed zone, speed limit 50 miles an hour" which are much kinder to your ladies ears Wink

MaFt
Although she really wouldn't appreciate the set which I use - Loud siren and spoken announcement at 100% volume. It blasts out incoming phone calls, to say the least! Twisted Evil

Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.
I have been using the ogg file voices of recent time which I find quite acceptable. Also, I am quite alright using the visual camera warnings on the unit in silent mode as I am aware of the speed limits through the areas I am driving through.
It's personal preference I guess. Some people like to have a sound reminder especially if deep in conversation with passengers or listening to music.
I don't think I would be happy in your vehicle Dennis with 100% volume and the loudest sound!
4Gb SDHC card
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think I would be happy in your vehicle Dennis with 100% volume and the loudest sound!
But his has to be heard over all the other devices, and you probably aren't driving a rattly diesel van. Joker
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Quote:
But his has to be heard over all the other devices, and you probably aren't driving a rattly diesel van. Joker
Has to be heard over all the other devices AND the radio.

But it's an 08 registered van, new on 15th March 2008 - the noisiest part of it (not counting the satnavs) is the annoying creaking sound from the badly fitted plywood lining.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: