Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shedracer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive for a living, so have plenty of miles under my belt using various gps. I first bought the Navigon, which I like and then thought due to the price, I would try the Copilot. Having now used both, I have to say the Navigon is the nicer to use and has much better navigation directions and voice commands. The map style is much nicer than the Copilot and the lane assist is spot on. What the Navigon lacks is the various options that the Copilot has.

I have found the Copilot seems to ignore the multi point routes I have planned, only navigating to the first point. Anybody else noticed this?

I have to say, I would love it if it was possible to have the Navigon look and navigation, with the the Copilot adjustability.

Both are good and the Copilot definitely has it on the price, but IMHO, Navigon is the one for me at the moment.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this a couple of days ago and tried it out for the first time today. I think in summary its ok but I'm really not impressed with routing.

I normally use a Tomtom 540 and I'm fairly familiar with the routes that it takes.

So far today Copilot has tried to take me off a main road, through a village, just to get back onto the main road again. The routes it's picked have not been the quickest route unlike Tomtom. I've also had it ask I take a u-turn when I ignored it's directions instead of just sending me the fastest route. It also seems to love small country lanes. It tried to divert me off into 3 different country lanes on the way home today. My Tomtom on the other hand knows just to stick to the main road as its quicker.

This might be ok for city driving but for the countryside its just no good. I still take my hate off to Tomtom for iqroutes. I've really not had anything come close to same quality of routing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up a custom routing profile and select the priority of the different road types to suit your preferences - this can be used to improve the route the device offers - Mike
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on this particular version of CoPilot, but version 7 (WM6) also has rather strange routing preferences that come no where near to what TomTom users take for granted.

I too live in the country and despite having set up several different profiles, I don't really like CoPilot routing. You need a 'main road' profile, a 'minor road' profile and maybe one or two others and then you need to decide which one you want to use for the route in question. TomTom is not adjustable (in recent releases) but always seems to use a sensible route.

What we need is a combination of CoPilot and Navigon functionality with TomTom routing, a sort of Tomigon Pilot!
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm hoping that Tomtom are going to give their iPhone app a bit of a graphical overhaul. Their map display looks somewhat tired compared to other offerings.
gloaming
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TELREA wrote:
gloaming wrote:
It could be weeks before TomTom sort their act out so I couldn't resist any longer and have now purchased this.

However I am having problems installing it. I downloaded it on my PC and can see it sitting in my Applications section of my itunes library. However when I attempt to sync it to my iphone it attempts to install and then I get the error message "unknown error occurred (0xE8000050)".

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I can get round this please?

If I download it again via the phone will I get charged a second time for it?

Thanks in advance

You can always try downloading it again,and no you won't be charged again,when you do get it installed make sure you're connected via wifi when activating as alot of peeps are having crashes at this point{me included}Took me 3 installs before i finally got it going just gotta road test it now

Thanks TELREA. After downloading it twice to my handset I have finally got it up and running. What a performance that was!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hailstorm wrote:
Well I'm hoping that Tomtom are going to give their iPhone app a bit of a graphical overhaul. Their map display looks somewhat tired compared to other offerings.

American users often rubbish TomTom on this basis I've noticed. Although as I've not really used anything else I guess I'm used to it.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted that the North American version is avaiable to buy from the UK store for £20.99. That seems pretty cheap to me for the whole of the USA. That must be cheaper than renting a sat nav when you're away on your hols.

Darren wrote:
No such issues witnessed here. Still ironing out some routing oddities but lock has been quick, reliable and faultless on CP with my 3GS.

I only use CoPilot when I'm going somewhere new which doesn't happen very often. That means I can't test out my routing preferences very easily. I'd be interested to see what routing options you've chosen and which you're finding work best. I'm off on holiday to Scotland next month so would like to have a good couple of profiles to use there.
nsp24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
Tomigon Pilot!

Laughing Out Loud i like it!
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just spent the past week on hols in the New Forest
Using the Co Pilot and Navigon on the iPhone and TT6 and iGO2006 on my pda
The TT app still blew the others away with more sensible routes and accurate eta times
One route they all got it wrong by sending me down a dirt road
Co Pilot was the flaky one. Odd routes. Silly eta times and laggy in keeping up with the road, giving late directions on turns
I want to like it but as with the Navigon if the routes are daft its a major pitfall
My order of preferance
1st tt6 for pda
2nd iGo2006 from my pda equal to the Navigon for iphone
last sadly was the Co Pilot
I still wait for TT for the iPhone

ern
epic_monkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

The dimming issue is definately caused by using the ipod in the background. the light stays on fully if you start the ipod before starting copilot, but the second you skip tracks, the light starts to dim. big drawback for me.

I also managed to get a screen shot of the lane assist in operation, nothing like the screenshots in the app store. Definately being rendered badly. Anyone else getting something like this?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent a few days touring the South West (of UK), covering Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Wiltshire and Somerset. Some observations:

In a couple of weeks, only once had a dimming issue - when I wasn't socket-powered. I don't use the iPod at the same time, and always use an external power source (apart from the one {accidental} incident).

Auto night mode - the time is changing (getting earlier as the days pass), but always appears to be an hour later than it should be. I guess it assumes we're in Central Europe?

Had one occasion when my position skipped from a minor road to a major road running very close by and parallel; immediately corrected to the correct route. Otherwise, apart from my initial issues, lock has been quick and reliable.

The routing has been pretty good since I set up a personal routing profile, with logical settings (including 70 for dual carriageway and motorway - I never speed! Wink ). No mapping error issues or apparently wrong routing (despite some obscure destinations; 'her in doors' despises SatNav and prides herself on her sense of direction and map-like brain, but she couldn't fault it, despite much effort!)

Q: Does anyone know if the routing profile concept influences the 'destination' method of single point routing, or just effects the 'Plan or Edit Trip'? Routing still confuses me and I really miss the TomTom advance planning - I use it a lot with expense claims when setting a start point and destination - CoPilot only allows routing from current location.

I concur that occasionally CoPilot drops a second immediate voice command, but the two-stage screen signalling is flawless, and (partially) overcomes this.

Lane Assist needs a little more work. Occasional corrupt displays, and missing data (probably a mapping issue, not the App).

Supplied POIs were pretty extensive, IMHO - much better than the ones TomTom have previously supplied.

Overall impressions:

For the money, this is excellent. Miss the logical simplicity of TomTom routing. Nice display options. Really need extensive customisable POI handling; want to be able to create custom categories, easily import (in my case from TomTom navigator - I have 100's!).

Despite the routing ease, unless there's news that TomTom rushed the release of their app and they're bring a lot of new functionality in a forthcoming update, there's little to force me to leave Co-Pilot (and I never thought I'd say that!).
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Set up a custom routing profile and select the priority of the different road types to suit your preferences - this can be used to improve the route the device offers - Mike

Can anyone comment how CoPilot balances these priorities vs the requirement to go via the fastest route?

I saw as default it has an average speed of 45mph on dual carriageways!!

Cheers,

Greg
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyre wrote:
monkey, select iphone settings / general / auto-lock / never and see if that helps.

Don't forget to change back afterwards, or you'll drain your batteries. Smile

I'm having a hard time convincing the copilot folks this is the problem. But I know it works for me so far.

-- gyre --

I dont have the "never" option on my iPhone. I think it may be something to do with having an MS exchange server account set up for email and calendar.
MortalWombat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Solved....Impressions so far Reply with quote

Love the price, the look and the flexibility the options provide.

it seems to lock onto my position very quickly (iPhone 3G 16GB). There is a slight lag in position on use, and the frame rate is not as smooth as it could be, leading to some issues, as others have noticed, when turns are close together.

I have come across the screen dimming issue (the phone is always charging in a Brodit holder when in use). I do not have autolock disabled, but why should I? It should be smart enough to disable this while the app is running. I am not sure whether the screen dimming is random, or repeatable depending on how the app was starting/whether the iPod app is running in the background etc... more experimenting required.

Something that is bugging me is the audio output. In use, I have the iPhone connected with a audio cable to an AUX input in my car, so music/instructions come through my car stereo. I also use a bluetooth headset for phone calls when in the car. I have noticed that at times, the audio from CoPilot stops working. It does not come through the car stereo, the iPhones own speaker, or the bluetooth headset.

I have the device on the desk next to me now, not plugged into any other kit, not connected to the Bluetooth headset, and there is no audio coming from CoPilot, (and I don't have the mute switch flicked on before you ask!!).

Anyone else had issues with the audio not working? (I have the volume turned up too).

Cheers folks,

Mark

update: it seems the audio is "locked" into being output from the headphone port, even when no cable is attached. I switched my phone off (totally), then turned it back on, but CoPilot is still outputting through the headphone port, so no sound coming from it (until I plug in and listen with my headphones).

SOLVED... oh, the shame of it... I had the mute button on (SURE I turned it off).. can I ever show my face here again???

Last edited by MortalWombat on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24

Jump to: