Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom £114 including the mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom £114 including the mount
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed, that's what we're all hoping and it would at least help justify the development of this specific cradle if it were to enable GPS solutions on Touch and 1st Gen iPhones.

Looking at the presentation at the WWDC, I doubt the 'iPhone' unit will accommodate the touch, but I can't see why they couldn't engineer a smaller version for the Touch.

They are marketing the 'system' as enabling hands-free calling and they'd be daft not to enable Live services... which is a problem as far as the Touch is concerned.

It probably exercises some Apple execs whether they want to enable the Touch sufficiently to impact on potential iPhone sales (I think there are bigger margins on the iPhone). Other execs worry about the iPhone's impact on traditional iPod and Touch sales. Nothing is ever simple...
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1st gen touch as well as my 3g and it fits although a bit loose in my Arkon iPhone passive mounts. It for some reason also fits fine into a universal dock with the iPhone insert so I can use both without changing inserts. In the car I can use the grill mount and a sendstation pocketdock for line-out to my car system with a 30cm 3.5 cable - got to be better sound than than the TT mini-speaker? (trouble is I still need both as they're 16GB both bought before the 32GB versions were available and I've got a fair amount of music. . .

Point I was going to make - I'm not having a problem with the built in gps, picks up OK, maybe a bit slower, down by the gearstick - which my Garmin 660fm won't do.

Next time. Meanwhile will probably continue for mo with Sygic - JB and then can cut unneccessary maps and get the PGPSW cameras in - vice Mike Alder

Probably its hooking in the h/w API thats taking the time, yes.

Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Hadtec have certainly got the publicity they want - this story is ALL OVER the web - France, Belgium, Germany, loads of US sites, even our own Guardian newspaper - all reporting the price as a leaked 'fact'.

TT must be p*ssed - hopefully this will teach them the value of informing their customers better and not leaving it to the Net.

Here's the bad news TT: you've left it Waaaaay too late - everyone and their dog has a solution out before you. We did TRY to tell you!
Oh, and the vast majority of reporters reflect you're over-priced at Handtec's prediction.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozmoz1958 wrote:
80 euros and released on 8th August according to this german site

So, 8th of August and no sign. Don't believe everything you read on websites, German or otherwise!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen 09/08/09 mentioned on a number of other web sites recently so I guess the earlier prediction might have been a day early, but no one knows for sure when this is going out - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though the prediction of a Saturday launch date was daft, now we're to expect it on a Sunday? If there's any truth to this it's about an App store launch, which was to be available 'after the introduction of OS 3.0'. Well done TomTom, you're launching in the midst of a pricing war between very capable alternatives. I don't know one person who was waiting on TT to launch that hasn't jumped ship already! I guess they're banking on the masses only recognising the TomTom brand.

To be fair to TomTom, they've paid the price for cosying up to Apple - forced to pre-announce product waaay too early.

So when do we get rhe hardware that differentiates their offering? Xmas?!?
kinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handtec have also changed the product from Mount + App to just the app.
Still at the same price though. !!!

Spose it lets them get round the under pricing issue they may have had.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinch wrote:
Still at the same price though.

No, it's just the mount now, not the app (which has to come through the app store).

I hope TomTom sever any trading relationship they've had with Handtec - they've done them no favours.

They've advertised misleading information, accepting pre-orders. Trading standards SHOULD be empowered to act against this. To interested parties they've falsely suggested a price point for app & cradle - a price point that most commentary has negatively suggested is too high - now they've dropped the bomb that the application cost is on top of the 'leaked' price.

What a mess - no wonder TomTom's marketing VP has been doing so many press interviews... It's looking like this release isn't going to be the saviour they need - pushed into announcing too early, beaten to market by just about everyone, (probably) overpriced, STILL non-existent AND stitched up by Handtec... Have I missed anything?

Geez TomTom, can you perform miracles?
kinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
kinch wrote:
Still at the same price though.

Ha ha, yes, saw one thing, wrote another. For that price im sur ethey are alienating alot of people.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are apparently sending out invites for a 'Future of Navigation' event on September 22nd - could this be when we finally get something? It is the last day of Summer after all!

I doubt it... They couldn't be daft enough to think many would wait another 5 weeks! More likely some other new product for the run to Xmas.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I doubt it... They couldn't be daft enough to think many would wait another 5 weeks! More likely some other new product for the run to Xmas.

Indeed so. If this is a PR launch then it would be for a product due in the stores some time after that. I can't see that being the iPhone App.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: