Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3, ready for retirement....Becker Z100 Crocodile???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3, ready for retirement....Becker Z100 Crocodile???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3, ready for retirement....Becker Z100 Crocodile??? Reply with quote

Hi all,

My Garmin Streetpilot i3 has served me well, but is ready for retirement.

I'm looking for a solution that will work in the car and on my motorbike.

I like the TomTom Rider2, or Garmin Zumo but they are too expensive for me to justify.

I was thinking of a basic car unit (with Europe mapping), that I would accept is not waterproof but most of my riding is in for pleasure so should not be a major problem.

Then I saw some references to the Becker Traffic Assist Z100 Crocodile.

Its a bit odd looking, but looks like a lot of GPS for your money.

-Water resistance
-Motorcycle mount available
-Europe mapping
-Speaks out streetnames
-3.5mm jack output which I can connect to my autocom
-Has traffic info, but from the brochure it looks like this does not include UK??
-£200 including the bike mount.

Has anyone tried one of these units? tested it, and the mount? USed it abroad? How is it? A good option?

The main thing I want is the ability to punch in waypoints to plan an entire route (i.e. choose the twisty roads!).

I am a Mac user, but accept Mac support from most of these manufacturers is slim to none. Not sure about Becker, but I suspect is the same story.

Would welcome you comments.

I've never heard of Becker, but they seem an established brand, using NAVTEQ data supplying premium automotive OEMs.

Cheers, Chris.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you would want to use the PGPSW speed camera poi's on that unit, but seems it's not that easy. Have a look at these posts, not the same Becker, but would probably be the same situation to try loading poi's to it HERE (opens in a new window).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem that dougproctor has got the speedcams working on his Becker, but has not come back to us with the definitive answer.
If this is so, it's just a case of putting our IGO .txt file in the right place and restarting the Becker.
The last point from doug was that he didn't like the alert sound it made, and I can't blame him, it's certainly attention getting and goes on all the time you are in range but overspeed, a right pain in the butt. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: