Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disabeld parking.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabeld parking.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just stolen. Didn't I read there are several thousand forged ones in Manchester alone?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikero wrote:
The main reason is the width of the bay. This means that they can open the car door fully to get in and out of the car

Likewise for parent and toddler spaces.

john877 wrote:
Regarding paying in public car parks most councils now charge disabled drivers for this

Not in my area!!

The idea of charging was mentioned recently and councils backed down.

The unemployed still have to pay £1+/hr, though.

john877 wrote:
I think it sums up how our society is going its down to lack of respect for other people

This works both ways, though, and another real nuisance is the mobility scooter brigade who tend to show a total lack of respect for anybody else.

Indeed, a pedestrian died yesterday as the result of injuries sustained after being hit by one of those damned things - they should be banned!!

Respect works both ways and the behaviour of many blue badge holders does not deserve respect.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that you are never in the position of needing a blue badge or needing a mobility scooter in the future

To a lot of disabled people they make the difference of being able to go to the shops and be able to keep a little independence
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
mikero wrote:
The main reason is the width of the bay. This means that they can open the car door fully to get in and out of the car

Likewise for parent and toddler spaces.

john877 wrote:
Regarding paying in public car parks most councils now charge disabled drivers for this

Not in my area!!

The idea of charging was mentioned recently and councils backed down.

The unemployed still have to pay £1+/hr, though.

john877 wrote:
I think it sums up how our society is going its down to lack of respect for other people

This works both ways, though, and another real nuisance is the mobility scooter brigade who tend to show a total lack of respect for anybody else.

Indeed, a pedestrian died yesterday as the result of injuries sustained after being hit by one of those damned things - they should be banned!!

Respect works both ways and the behaviour of many blue badge holders does not deserve respect.

I am sure many would switch to your active lifestyle and willingly pay on the car parks than having to live with there restrictive lifestyle

Show a bit of sensitivity
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, but I show a heck of a lot more consideration to those around me than the menaces on those scooters
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local drunk driver drives a mobility scooter. Most people know him and jump off the footpath as he approaches, the alternative being to risk him driving straight through you - it wouldn't be so dangerous if he didn't drive it so fast - I didn't think those things did mega racing speeds, but his does!

john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Me too, but I show a heck of a lot more consideration to those around me than the menaces on those scooters

I do agree I have been hit with one when shopping the lady concerned was very apologetic I am sure she did not do it on purpose !!

How many accidents a year are caused by able bodied children and adults riding push bikes on pavements a lot I bet
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For most disabled drivers, the location of the bay is not an issue, nor is its proximity to the store. The main reason is the width of the bay. This means that they can open the car door fully to get in and out of the car. This cannot be done in a standard bay.

The two local shopping centres near me the bays are the same width. One hasn't any mothers and babies bays, the other has and has approx 3 feet either side.

Quote:
The other thing about disabled people is that their disability is not always obvious. OK, some may have only one leg but what about those with only one lung? It really annoys me when people complain about the disabled doing their shopping. Are they not supposed to eat? If all disabled bays were in the far corners of the store car park would able bodied drivers still use them?

Only one lung? A bloke gets up our local park and often walks around with us for an hour, he has one lung and a disabled sticker, which he uses at the shopping centres and could be taking the space of someone with severe disabilities.

As for mobility scooters, most appear to have two speeds, 4mph and 8 mph. I was thinking of getting my wife one as she has rhumatoid arthritis and has a few problems walking any distance but she said she'll wait until she can't get to the shops any more. She could probably apply for a blue sticker but she doesn't drive, so I'd drop her off close to the entrance and then park up in a normal bay. That's what I believe many could and should do.

Last thing I'll say on the subject. Has anyone noticed how people with disabled or child on board stickers drive? Just a thought.
WaltUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderately to severely disabled Blue Badge holder may I say a few words ?

The majority of Blue Badge holders detest those who abuse their badges - sitting in car whilst wife does shopping etc.
Personally, I see no reason not to charge Blue Badge holders in council car parks.
All Blue Badges have photographs of the holder on the reverse - the proper authorities (police, wardens etc.) could, if they were so inclined, check the proper usage by the proper person.
I'm told that all new Blue Badges will only be issued to persons receiving the Higher Mobility Component of the Disabled Living Allowance - a very high standard. I sincerely hope this true. Up until now, all that was needed was a letter from your GP - who doesn't give a damn and doesn't want an argument with his patient.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All Blue Badges have photographs of the holder on the reverse - the proper authorities (police, wardens etc.) could, if they were so inclined, check the proper usage by the proper person

As the rules stand I believe thier is no obligation or right to see the photo, certainly by the warden, not sure about the police, the bluebadge states on the opposite side to the photo "display this side up" and I think that is the only side they can see, this side does contain the serial number which is the check and wardens do note it because the photo could be changed anyway also bear in mind when considering free parking, blue badges have to be paid for they are not free
stinkinpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like everything else in this country the system is being abused by many people and those in charge are too lazy or scared too do anything about it. we got so many hanging on our backs we are on our knees,blame the do gooders
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaltUK wrote:

I'm told that all new Blue Badges will only be issued to persons receiving the Higher Mobility Component of the Disabled Living Allowance - a very high standard.

I think the requirements for a blue badge is that a person cannot walk for more than 180 yards !

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Badge Parking Scheme

Road Traffic Act 1991.
The Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2000.
The Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendments) Regulations 2007.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
also bear in mind when considering free parking, blue badges have to be paid for they are not free

true, but £2 for 3 years is hardly breaking the bank is it?!

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I thought it was £2.50, but just checked my local County Council site and found this
Quote:
Please be aware that there is no longer any charge for a blue badge. This is now a free service.
so the comment(s) no longer apply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: