Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What Mountain Bike recommends Satmap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What Mountain Bike recommends Satmap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: What Mountain Bike recommends Satmap Reply with quote

The latest edition of What Mountain Bike has an article entitled MAP vs GPS. It was a pretty cool competition on Dartmoor between two quality teams in poor visibility, although punctures played more of a part than one might have wished.
Which method of nav was better? They agreed that having an accurately programmed GPS on the bar was a great help for keeping the momentum up during a ride, especially on the open sections where visible markers are few and far between. They also agreed that there was no excuse for not having an OS map and compass within arm's reach too.

The article gives the following comparisons:

Garmin Oregon: (£359) 3 stars
Garmin Edge: (£369) 4 stars
Magellan Triton: (£340) 1 and a half stars
Satmap Active 10: (£300) 4 and a half stars

It is interesting to compare some of the features eg the Edge screen size is 35 x 45 mm compared with the A10's 53 x 70 mm. The A10 was more reliable than the Edge in steep valleys. They also commented that the Edge's Topo mapping feels sparse in comparison with OS mapping.

Also interesting to read that the Oregon's OS mapping reproduction is fuzzy and that the user interface was found to be clunky and cramped with a lot of irrelevant PDA-based functions like calendar and calculator.

They liked the fact that the A10 is a standalone unit, that you can plan on it without needing to refer to a pc (but you can still upload pre-planned routes using Satmap's online software), that it has a solid bracket for a bike, that navigation is intuitive and that route profiles are a satisfying addition to the usual speed and distance data.

Satmap is named as the 'What Mountain Bike WINNER'!

I was delighted to read all this, but then having spent my money on Satmap I guess I would, wouldn't I?!
I do feel justified, after all, the writer of the article doesn't even know about their exceptional customer service and hasn't mentioned the fact that they're a new Brit business not only apparently doing well in the recession but also taking on the likes of Garmin and beating them!

Inspiring, I'd say.
Balderovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Best OS mapping device Reply with quote

August edition of Country Walking also tests nine devices and awards as follows:-

Satmap best OS mapping device.
Nokia n79- best multifunction device
Garmin eTrexH- best budget buy
Garmin VisatHCx- best in test

You pays yer money etc....

Balderovich

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: