Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in apps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reckon much to the voice guidance. It's just text to speech and very poor at that.
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version seems like quite an improvement

I like the way it pauses music playback when reading out instructions

erm
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent experience with Roadee 1.1 (with speech) on exactly the same route was very different to my original experience.

For 99% of the journey I stuck to the road (suggesting the mapping is pretty accurate but the original GPS wasn't).

The routing instructions were very unreliable, and I would have missed exits and turns if relying on voice prompts or indicators alone; the mapping meanwhile, was spot on, so the problem remains in Roadee's interpretation of the routing data, not the data itself.

I cannot find a way to influence the colour scheme (for example to take advantage of the night time scheme as shown in the Gallery.

Also, the right hand timing box remains steadfastly set at 0, an issue I see reproduced in the gallery (above).

The landscape capability is also extremely unreliable.

'Auto' (whatever that did originally) no longer seems to work.

I was surprised at the quality of the POIs - no doubt sourced via Google or similar - the petrol station list seemed pretty accurate.

Still very much a Beta for me!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I cannot find a way to influence the colour scheme (for example to take advantage of the night time scheme as shown in the Gallery.

settings cog / next / map data source

the OSM and CloudMade options are different map colour/display schemes. night view is 'midnight commander'

bedbug wrote:

The landscape capability is also extremely unreliable.

landscape has to be 'set' in the menu screen and the phone MUST be turned anti-clockwise (doesn't work for clockwise turns for some reason...)

bedbug wrote:
'Auto' (whatever that did originally) no longer seems to work.

auto = auto zoom. go faster = zoom out, go slower = zoom in

bedbug wrote:
I was surprised at the quality of the POIs - no doubt sourced via Google or similar - the petrol station list seemed pretty accurate.

i was under the impression these were from OSM data... the only pubs it shows near me are ones i have added to osm. it is also 'missing' the only one near me that i've yet to add to OSM.

bedbug wrote:
Still very much a Beta for me!

indeed! but it's good to see they are actually developing it!

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

If you visit the developer's website and visit their forums, you'll find (you have to look quite carefully) an English section. I posted roughly the same points there yesterday and got a very quick and detailed response, acknowledging that my observations were all issues under investigation. Very impressed with the developer.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i set up an aemade account within the app and sent a couple of queries - i too got a fast response (albeit via email!)

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadee has been updated with in-app purchasable TTS 'premium' voices. bargain at only 59p per voice! there's no preview but the one i bought DOES sound a heck of a lot better. unfortunately using the premium voice cuts off the ipod (whereas the default one pauses and restarts it). developer is aware and it will be in the next update.

still a few issues with routing, mainly that it tells you to turn just as your at the junction so you need to follow the map with your eyes rather than relying on voice guidance alone. developer(s) seem to be constantly updating so i can imagine this will be remedied at some point soon. perhaps with an option of 'distance to junction to give instruction'

this app is quite good for me cos i've mapped a lot of my area so searching for addresses works well!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: