Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in apps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in apps Reply with quote

New turn by turn navigation "Roadee" £1.19 in app store now

At the moment it does not work very well Sad
It gives written turn by turn directions. Apparently voice is due in version 1.1
It also needs map cache and quite a few other bits
Its very much a work in progress !
Not even as good xGPS (for jailbroken phones)
But for £1.19 for basic turn by turn for none jailbroken phones its hard to beat
It will be interesting to see what improvements the author makes
Its apparently the No 1 app in the navigation section of the German app store

app store link http://is.gd/1y6Ah
Author info here http://www.roadee.net/en/

erne
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i'd grab this now in the hope that once it improves and the price goes up then i get a bargain :D

MaFt
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same. You never know! Though it does have a long way to go.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think roads are missing local to yourself simply datalog them and add them to the OSM map for the benefit of all others, its quite addictive once you start - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was referring to the app rather than the mapping!

lots of odd bugs in the app...!

search is difficult but again that's partly down to map data too..

i'm sure it will be good Smile
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Sygic and Navigon have got any reason to worry yet, although I like the idea of an OSM based system.

Presumably it doesn't work with postcodes? I couldn't seem to get them to work as an address.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcodes do work sort of, but only 5 digits. Also I found you have to put , UK in there, otherwise you get all sorts of locations coming up. I put just my Dad's postcode in and it brought up someplace in South Africa!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want postcodes in then you need to add them to OSM!

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily concede my hardware was up the spout, but Google Maps worked perfectly whenever I was stationary enough to compare results...

For 5p I really really don't expect much, but if this is the most popular navigation app in Germany, I wouldn't count on Fritz getting anywhere on time in the near future! I wouldn't even denigrate beta software by applying that moniker - this is alpha code at best. It simply does not work!

I've just journeyed from Staines to West Oxfordshire and I suspect my position was shown on a road (ANY road) for less than 10% of the time. There were no noticeable issues with the map data, just my relation to it (or lack of!).

Of the 10% of the time I was shown on a road, a fair proportion was on the wrong carriageway; not, you may think, on some provincial minor road, but it's most distressing to be sat in stationary traffic and watch yourself cross the crash barrier and accelerate from 0 to 82 mph into on-coming traffic... and on the M25! I kid you not. Twice. Now that really is BAD driving!

My initial response was to assume something wrong with my iPhone (who would unleash a navigation guidance application so flawed?), but as I said, Google Maps tracked me flawlessly (even managing to accurately reflect that when sat motionless for at least 5 minutes, I shouldn't be shown roaming around like a demented ant - if only roadee data logged and traced, it would have been hilarious!

Postcodes? Who cares? Roadee struggled to keep me on route for a location on planet earth!!!!

Seriously, I love the notion of open source mapping (and I've been surprised by the extent of the content), but this isn't a great example of how it can be used. I'm not even sure it's appropriate to pay (even a tiny amount) for an application that exploits open source, but I'd love a development community that responded to the needs of the user base, but I doubt TomTom are throwing in the towel just yet.

I'd re-release this application as the ultimate armchair off-road enthusiast's plaything - it's perfect just as it is!

Am I being too harsh? I hope not - even if it's given away, Navigation software that bears no relation to your physical location struggles to deliver value. If this was 'I've had a first go, see what you think' I'd be highly supportive. As it is, this software is meant to be keeping our German colleagues on-track - I'd at least expect it to meet the 'Ronseal' challenge!

Roll on the 10th anniversary update! Rolling Eyes
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

Roll on the 10th anniversary update! Rolling Eyes

Having played with it a couple more times I have to say it is useless. We should have been paid to install it. As you say bedbug it is pre alpha

Now where is my a-z

erne
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very odd... i've just had a completely different experience of it...

route was good, marker followed the road, recalculation was quick (even over gprs) and rotating the tiles was a nice touch to keep it 'head up' as opposed to north-up. auto-zoom also worked well although over gprs loading the new tiles sometimes took a while (3G signal was obviously much better!) BUT you could still see the red route-overlay that you could follow at a junction.

one thing that may make a difference is that i have mapped the roads near me for OSM and i know they are accurate. when i did the same for the M62 the gps track was way off where the OSM had it... perhaps the 'M25 issue' bedbug saw was due to this? it may be worth logging a route along that stretch and uploading it to OSM to compare the accuracy?

the app certainly has potential, ok there are a few bugs / typo's in the UI but those are easily fixable. the text at the bottom is a little small and the search could do with improving, maybe having more fields eg road, town, country, postcode where they are autofilled with the last entry to save having to keep writing ', bradford, england' etc.

MaFt
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works quite well in Poland, having a run up to Warsaw tonight, so give it a good test. Very Happy
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
very odd... i've just had a completely different experience of it...MaFt

It's not the first GPS-dependent application to deliver such variable results.

I'm really starting to lose confidence in Apple's hardware; there's a bit of discussion presently that the iPhone uses a shared antenna for Bluetooth and WiFi, and the two interfere with each other. Perhaps there's similar compromise with the GPS chipset.

What bothered me in the test wasn't so much the question of map accuracy (or the concept of the openmap concept, if the M25 hasn't been accurately defined), but the fact that I seemed to be moving at great speed while sat in stationary traffic. Perhaps an iPhone issue that didn't affect Google Maps?

Although it's a good way to establish brand loyalty, I doubt TomTom would bother with the chip in the mount if it didn't deliver something other than revenue.

Incidentally, if you spot typos and wish to help, you can edit the text file the developer uses Here. I went to make some changes, but noted they'd already been made. It will be interesting to see if the developer is of the 'regular and responsive' update class.

Is there scope for PGPSW to seek an interview?

Why oh why isn't Google developing a spoken instruction version of google maps - so much else seems to be in place!
pmodern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
very odd... i've just had a completely different experience of it...

MaFt

I would agree with all of that. Misses out the odd map tile here and there. Map caching would sort that out. Following the red line is OK at junctions. Some of the turn instructions (written) seem to be one behind where they should be and I had one issue with it showing me in a different position than I was, but not a big deal at the time. With voice instructions and map caching I think this would be functional if not pretty. At least with a few more people using this king of thing, the OSM maps will develop faster.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 1.1 now in app store with:

english voice guidance
landscape mode
new map view layout
dutch/french localisation
better route descriptions
bug fizes

i'll give it a test on a drive from bradford to bracknell tomorrow!! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: