Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S30 help...2nd attempt at posting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S30 help...2nd attempt at posting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: S30 help...2nd attempt at posting Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have an s303D which was purchased last november. It had pre-loaded uk/ireland maps which were working ok. I'm going to france for a holiday so needed french maps. Navmans price seemed excessive so I opted to spend 20 quid on ebay for 3rd party maps. This I found out entailed installing a programme called "igo" into the satnav which looks like a windows -based interface. I downloaded the french maps and they've loaded up in the "gps extras" folder igo has installed. I haven't used them yet, as I'm not in France, so don't know if they're good or rogue!!

The UK maps were in a folder called "smart sd" which could be accessed from the blue startup desktop screen. Immediately after downloading these french maps the S30 kept coming up with an error message on startup saying "not all maps have loaded correctly" Although there was an error message the maps loaded and I never had any problems with the local maps I was using for 2 weeks. However, today on startup there appears to be no uk maps in the "smart sd" folder. It will go through the safety page but then says ther are "no maps available". The french maps in the igo folder are still there.

Has anyone got any ideas what has happened? I haven't deleted anything as far as I know. I'm reluctant to buy the uk maps again for 40 quid but I guess it's my own fault for trying to save some money in the first place.

I can't even download the uk maps into the igo programme as it keeps saying there's a damaged file. (Grrr!!!)

I'm beginning to think I've been had by the ebay seller (who coincidentally looked like a bona-fide outfit with technical backup).

At present I have a satnav which looks like it'll only work in france...not a lot of good to me as I'm a District Nurse in rural Essex!!

If anyone can help a very frustrated and embarrassed fool it'll be greatly appreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've removed your other post as duplicate threads tends to end up with duplicate questions and answers.

If you need to edit a thread in future you should find an EDIT button at the top right of your posts. Click that and you can make changes if necessary.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That very much sounds like yet another dodgy e-bay retailer selling illegal maps/ software, any chance you could send me a link to one of the adverts, either by posting it in this thread or via PM/ E-Mail as both buttons below this post are live and working.

As for recovering the device I am not too sure, best bet is to probably contact Navman as to get iGo running on that device it must have been unlocked to get at the WinCE desktop, then its had another application installed and maps not intended so its not going to be an easy one to fix unless you have a full backup of the device from before the e-bay rubbish was installed - Mike
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: S30 problems Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for the reply.
This is the link I was sent;
http://gps-extras.anderson-smith.co.uk

They did answer my first email but I've not had any help since.

To be honest the S30 is not a particuarly good satnav anyway but I really hate throwing cash away.

Please warn all on here not to touch these guys.

Regards
Pat
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pirate software. I'll let iGO know and they can deal with the web-site.

I'm afraid that you ought to have invested in the correct maps, we cannot support or assist with the software you have been sold as it's not legitimate.
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you deleted everything on the device and tried to reload just the navman software through the Navdesk?
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain,

I don't know how to delete the damn programme....any advice on how to would be great. Surprise, surprise the website aren't answering my questions now. I know it's my own fault and I have no-one to blame but myself for the predicament I'm in. I went and bought another satnav today with European maps pre-installed but it would be good to be able to get the S30 back working,even if I give it to one of my kids to use.
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the device connects to the PC as a removable device, format it and then disconnect and let it boot, The lady and the car should pop up then a message saying to load the maps/ software.
Now connect to the PC, open Navdesk and click on tools , reinstall software. This may take a while to be highlighted. Follow through, then when the software is installed, disconnect the device, allow to load till advised to recover licence, connect to Navdesk again (you should get more tabs now), click tools , recover keys.
Now you can re-install the maps and voices.
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Cap'n Reply with quote

Captain,
Thanks for the reply and advice.
Ok, I've formatted my S30 and connected to Navdesk and had the message that the keys have been recovered. Do I now have to purchase the UK maps from Navman?

Before I formatted the S30 I had a look what files were on it and saved anything which didn't look like it was associated to the WinCE programme.

I saved these to a folder on my desktop, they include uk and ireland maps.

I've copied all these files back into the Navman folder on the S30 in the hope that it would load all the uk/ireland maps....but it still says no map available.

Was I hoping for too much? Or do I have to pay 40 quid for the maps?

Again my thanks for your help.

Pat
andycollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the maps all loaded on the dvd that came with your S30 so if navdesk managed to recover the keys correctly from your s30 you should be able to reload the maps from the dvd

1. Connect your s30 to your PC.
2. Put the dvd that can with the s30 into your dvd rom drive. - *** this is the most important part ***
3. Load up the navdesk program and then select the "My Maps" option.

navdesk will then show you a map of the regions available for download from the dvd and give you a "map source" and "my navman" options down the left had side of the screen.

Maps that are already installed will have a tick and green circle next to them, map that can be installed from the dvd will have an orange circle next to them and maps that need an activation key will have a red circle and pad lock next to them.

If the keys have not been recovered correctly I guess a padlock will be placed next to every countries name and I guess you might as well copy all of the files you copied onto you desktop back onto your navman.
The navdesk software is probably looking for some of the very important files located on the navmans storage drive at "\Program Files\Navman\SmartST_CE\"

If the keys have been recovered correctly you should be able to tick the the maps you want to install from the "map source" section and then the "install maps" button should become available for you to install the maps again.

This guide also talks about how to load the maps onto your navman using navdesk software (page 106) so if you get stuck it might help.
http://www.navman.com/docs/manuals/navman-s-series-manual-en_gb.pdf
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Still not working!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks or the replies.

Jesus this is getting so frustrating now. I've recovered the keys through Navdesk and everything looks like it's going ok until I click on the maps section. It then won't unlock any of them. Nanman aren't answering any of their emails either, so no help there. I've tried copying back the files I saved but still nothing. I can't think what I'm doing wrong...any ideas???

Thanks again.
andycollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried deleting every file from my s90i and managed to get it up and running again so I guess you should be able to do the same.

The only file on the device was device.xml in the root of the navman, for me that was f:\device.xml, when I did not have this file on the device the navdesk software would not let me pick any of the options from the tools menu.

I first used the "Reinstall software on your navman" option which copied 1231 files to the device.

I then restarted the navdesk software and had a look to see what the map screen looked like and everything was locked so I used the "Recover keys" option which put three extra files in "F:\Program Files\Navman\SmartST_CE" which were "cdkeys.dat", "chksum.ini" and "sigreg.dat".

When I looked at the map screen again all of the western europe maps had become available to install.

If you can not get your s303d working after this I guess its something that navman/mio need to look into as it sounds like you might have a problem with the key recovery or the DVD your using.
Patchypants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have tried to help me on this.
Have got the Navman up and running again now.
Lesson to be learned.....never try and cut corners buying cheapo maps, always use the correct software from a trusted respectable source. My fingers and wallet have been well and truly burnt.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: