Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Computer Voices no longer Working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Voices no longer Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Computer Voices no longer Working Reply with quote

Its been a while since I've been on the forum so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere and I missed it in the search.

I've got a 720 and at some point in the recent couple of months of automatically accepting updates my computer voices for reading street names stopped working and when I try to add them to the device I get the message from HOME that my device doesn't support computer voices.

A couple of other features stopped working through HOME as well. I had to do a home update when I installed new maps of Europe (mine is a US device), and I think it stopped working then.

Any help appreciated.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you install the European map? Internal after moving off the NA map or onto a sdhc card?

Do the computer voices work if you have NA map active?
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the SD Card:
The computer voices don't work on either maps.

Also it doesn't let me "operate my go"

Home Version is 2.6.3.1069
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a pin reset. See if that helps.

If not, try ... (with the NA map selected via Preference--Manage Maps--Select map)

Navigate to--City--and make sure the CAN flag is showing on the top right of the city screen). Now see if computer voices work.

If not, use Explorer to look at the contents of the NA map. Do you see a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files. If not, if the map was dl from TomTom via an update, the map is still on your computer in compressed format, probably in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map.

Use winrar or equivalent to view the contents. See the cspeech files now? If so, expand the cab file to get the speech files out and copy them to the NA map folder on your unit (or card).

[same query regarding your European map].

If all the above is a no-go, then do you have a text file called support_asr.dat with just a 1 in it, nothing else , and the file is placed in the asr folder.

Things to check.

BTW, what version application and NA map do you have? (tap the satellite bars to see the application involved and tap the version number to see the map and version of it installed.
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried reset on the bottom of the device - didn't seem to help.
Had all the cspeech files in both of the maps (on the device, and on the SD card)

Didn't have that asr file on the Euro maps but did on the NA maps.

However it only came back alive after I pulled the SD card when the device rebooted and all voice came back - in fact it came back with a computer voice selected when I had changed back to a normal voice.

Even operate my go worked! And without the card in there it offered me an application update that it hadn't offered before.

Version of NA was 815.2019

I'll put the card back in and see what happens!
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after putting the SD card back in (2GB standard capacity) audio is lost again with computer voice though seems to work with normal voices.

Tried reset as well.

In Home interestingly its back to wanting to load a new app everytime I access the device, and it refuses to allow me to operate my go again.

So something is fishy with the SD card though it worked fine in Europe just last week with normal non computer voices?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the memory card using Windows Explorer, is there a file named "ttsystem" in the root of the memory card? if so you have managed to install an updated Navcore software to the memory card at some point. This will have contained an empty LoquendoTTS folder which is why the voices don't work with the card inserted - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I think you need to change your avitar to the Canadian flag to post in this topic!
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy you are such a (t) wit! Laughing

Mike - I have a ttsystem file as you mention and the LoquendoTTS directory but it is not empty. It contains a bin and lib sub directory which have each a single file in side.

Not sure what I have to do to recover here?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the Loquendo folder on the internal memory (or any backups of it if it isn't still there). If that has a lot more files in it, then copy the whole thing onto the SD card, (after backing up your existing folder with the two sub-folders and files, just in case).

For info, my 940's Loquendo folder has three sub-folders (bin, lib and also data) plus a couple of loose files.
"lib" only has one file, but "bin" has 19 files and "data" has 5 files and two more sub-folders "languages" and "voices" (where the actual TTS files are)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so I am on the wrong side of the Pond!

The Loquendo folder needs more than that in it to work, I would delete the ttsystem file from the memory card and any other lose files in the root of the memory card (do not delete any folders or files within folders) as you have installed the Navcore software to the memory card as well as the device. What is happening is the device boots up and uses the SD card because it finds the Navcore application on the card, as the loquendo folder is incomplete you get no voice as the device is using the SD card - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reflection, assuming you still have a completeLoquendo folder on the internal memory, Mike's suggestion is a better solution than mine.

It would be better to get back to having everything (except the new maps) on the internal memory. Smile
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I'll try this when I get home tonight (EST time!)

So there is no reason for there to be an App on the SD card at all just the basic maps and whatever POI's, pictures, music etc I choose to have. Right?

In which case I'll strip it down to just that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have updated the Navcore via TomTom Home at some point with the Home software set to use the memory card rather than the internal Flash store (An easy mistake to make and not that obvious to notice at first).
If you remove all the files and folders from the memory card EXCEPT the Western_Europe map folder and the folders containing music (mp3) and pictures (photos?) your device will work fine.

What I would also suggest you try is take the card out of the device, connect to TT Home and select update my device, this will make sure you have the latest application version on the device.
For subsequent upgrades of the Navcore software pop the SD card out before you start the update, this avoids falling in to the same problem again - The Home software should make it more obvious as to which storage area is in use, but thats only a small portion of what needs fixing in that application - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: