Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Max speed 26.6 mph when walking !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Max speed 26.6 mph when walking !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Max speed 26.6 mph when walking ! Reply with quote

Hi all

I went on a long walk over the weekend and was surprised to see the trip log reported a top walking speed of 26.6 mph !

Don't rememder walking that fast.

Any ideas why this sould be the case

Many thanks

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be any number of things.

Not fully locked onto sats before setting off. This could cause a momentary change of position as the fix gets better - giving a false speed reading.

Poor sat reception (trees/concrete canyons etc) causing a similar 'misplacement' on the map - giving rise to an instantaneous rogue speed.

Worst I ever had was a tracklog position on my Garmin Colorado 300 that placed me off the Shetland islands when I was walking in the Derbyshire hills. It was one tracklog point - all the rest were correct. I think this one was caused by the unit being very close (same rucsac outside pocket) as my GPS datalogger. I keep them separated now.
themib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can beat that!
I reset my log, went mountainbiking near fort william.
I was suprised to see my total distance correct around 22 miles, but a maximum recorded speed of 735 mph.

Now Thats fast in a Jet fighter!
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one thing that diappoints me about the Satmap (apart from that awful wide orange route line). My speed seems to vary from 0 to 7 or 8 mph when I'm standing still! I've tried to use it to guage the speed of my boat on the canal, which should be about 3 mph. At a steady speed the figure is all over the place, and even the average speed doesn't look right. In contrast, my old Garmin eMap would give a dead accurate speed with no silly wandering. It would also stand still when I did. Really can't understand how Satmap let this go through as I've not experienced it with other GPS or sat nav devices.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little 'wandering' is quite usual with most GPSr devices unless they have a facility to 'ignore' small changes - which usually renders them useless for walking. However with a decent number of sats (9+) locked in you should get very little in the way of wandering. I use mine for walking and cycling and don't have any issue with the speed display.

Is it taking more than 30secs in a warm restart? I.e. turn it off, wait 5 mins and turn it back on again. If it is taking a couple of minutes or so you may want to consider sending your Active 10 in for an aerial tune-up, this may help in getting a better spread of sats allowing a more accurate fix to be generated.

I've just set my Active 10 up with a deliberately degraded signal (5 sats in a 100 deg arc) by putting it in a window in the house. The house has roof and wall construction that utilises aluminium backed insulation - it's quite an effective radio blocker!

After 6 mins the position has not changed and the av and max speeds are still 0.0mph It is calculating a positional accuracy of 29ft. Perhaps your unit is in need of a tune-up?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on crude experiment above.

I let it run for 1 hour.

After this time it recorded a distance travelled of 65 feet with a max speed of 3.5 mph. This appeared to be two 'one-off movements' caused by a sixth sat coming into view and then loosing one 15 mins later.

All in all a pretty good result. The position showing with 6 sats up (about 120 deg spread) is within 5 metres of the actual position according to the 1:2500 OS mapping we have for the farm. With 5 sats the position was within 20 metres.

I'll settle for that!
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Is it taking more than 30secs in a warm restart? I.e. turn it off, wait 5 mins and turn it back on again. If it is taking a couple of minutes or so you may want to consider sending your Active 10 in for an aerial tune-up, this may help in getting a better spread of sats allowing a more accurate fix to be generated.

My unit seems to get and keep a very good lock, even indoors sometimes, but it does not seem capable of a "Warm start"; even turning off and straight on again will set it off collecting satellite locks seemingly from scratch -a process that can take 2 to 5 minutes. In contrast my Garmin units seem to "remember" the satellite data and re-lock in seconds of a restart.

Edit: I have to correct this as I cannot get this tardiness to repeat. Tried several times last night, but up to just over 15 mins switch-off (longest I tried) my A10 was locked in within 30 seconds of switch-on. No idea what I was doing before, although even my Garmins have bad switch-on days or occasional "I see no Sats" moments.

for the record... Embarassed
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to complete a walk where the max speed was anything near reasonable. I think the problem is as follows. Lets assume you walk at 3mph. In a straight line you are doing 4.4 ft per second. If the GPS were absolutely accurate, and recorded every second, the instantaneous max speed would be correct.

Now look at an accuracy of say 10 ft CEP. It could give a position 10 ft behind you and to the left. The next second it could be 10ft in front of you and to the right. A bit extreme, but it would then think you did a little over 20 ft in the second, which equates to around 14mph.

In calculating the average speed, over a distance of several miles, the speed error caused by a 20ft error over the total distance is so small as to be effectively zero.

I wait to be shot down on my theory.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have correctly identified the 'problem'. With the 'circle-of-error' being larger in poor reception conditions the rogue speeds can be 2 to 3 times what you calculated.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another theory as to the incorrect maximum speed being shown on the Active 10 ,also waiting to be shot down.

During a walk there will perhaps be times when you remove the Active 10 from round your neck say,or take it out of a rucsac,or point quicly at something with the GPS in your hand.

Just for that second the Satmap may well be moving much faster than your walking speed and hence will give your maximum speed as very high.

Well it sounds OK to me anyway.

Ian
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean the total distance will be incorrect as well?
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Max speed 26.6 mph when walking ! Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
I went on a long walk over the weekend and was surprised to see the trip log reported a top walking speed of 26.6 mph !
Any ideas why this sould be the case

I notice it does some funny calculations when you start if you reset the trip before it has fully locked on and located its position.

I think it might also do some strange calculations if the signal is lost then regained a little way down the path
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
Does this mean the total distance will be incorrect as well?

It can do. There will be small additional distance added to the total real distance due to wandering. Usually this should be insignificant on a long journey where you are moving all the time. If you leave the device on during prolonged stops then there is always the chance that some extra distance may get added in.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for previous multiple replies (since deleted) - I was having major probs with the network and the page never refreshed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: