Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Europe back in App store!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Europe back in App store!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just loaded up Sygic and first impressions are pretty good. But why haven't they used the standard iPhone UI for navigating lists and menus and the much better standard keyboard?

It's already annoying the heck out of me having to peck at an up/down arrow rather than swipe to scoll and the keyboard is much less convenient that the standard iPhone version.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Darren, it is clearly a port from another platform and not up to native iPhone app standards. I guess that they would have to totally rewrite it otherwise, so they have used this hardware abstraction layer instead.

I wonder how SatNav apps are going to be updated on the iPhone - does it mean another 1.8GB download every time they fix a few bugs or add a new feature - if so this will surely slow down development.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a few posters and Sygic themselves have pointed out it is a port of their mobile maps app. Not surprising its not perfectly iPhone!. Maybe later it'll be tidied up

I finally gave in and got the euro one - after seeing how much cheaper the US one is against the "America" NOT, it didn't seem worth waiting for a UK one. Sygic still have made no mention. Possibly they're do a UK only mobile maps first?

BTW for anyone who has a fairly full phone - depite clearing some stuff so I had 2.6 GB free iTunes still said not enough space. Found out it needs something like 1.5GB for the installer (which is cleared after). I have about 6GB of music and 7 of bird id. video. and had to sync without music, and then again with, as the apps install first. Apple support is less than clear and talks about backing up everything and restoring the phone - you don't need to do that.

Did leave me with an hour and 50 to download and about the same again to sync Sygic and resync the music though!

Cheers, Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the Sygic installer to offer us the option as to which country maps you want installed, for example a full Sygic install with just the GBR is only 246MB as opposed to the full European build which is nearly eight times as large!
If cost isn't a factor between purchasing the European release or regional (if they ever release regional builds) storage capacity is going to be an issue, I have 16GB to play with but its rapidly being consumed by huge map files that often contain countries not required - Mike
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike (A)/Darren et al. I've just found this. Look on the Navigon update out thread under iPhone and from Ashley Hinton theres a way to access the app folders etc. for mac and Navigon. I've just done the same on my PC for Sygic and have found the maps folder with all the different countries. AS Ashley says back up everything first. So back up the Itunes sygic folder then copy and rename (possibly hidden file extension) to .zip. Unzip and you can then access the sygic folders and files. I have not yet tried editing but I guess if you delete the unwanted maps/countries, rezip rename back to .ipa and then resave to the iTunes folder. Delete from iphone then resync you should have it. The GBR folder also contains cameras in a CAM folder - we may be able to do pgpsw in that?. All this without jailbreak but a bit of resynching. Should work but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone brave enough? I guess if you back up the iPhone first should be no problem. GBR is 181 MB!

Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:
Mike (A)/Darren et al. I've just found this. Look on the Navigon update out thread under iPhone and from Ashley Hinton theres a way to access the app folders etc. for mac and Navigon. I've just done the same on my PC for Sygic and have found the maps folder with all the different countries. AS Ashley says back up everything first. So back up the Itunes sygic folder then copy and rename (possibly hidden file extension) to .zip. Unzip and you can then access the sygic folders and files. I have not yet tried editing but I guess if you delete the unwanted maps/countries, rezip rename back to .ipa and then resave to the iTunes folder. Delete from iphone then resync you should have it. The GBR folder also contains cameras in a CAM folder - we may be able to do pgpsw in that?. All this without jailbreak but a bit of resynching. Should work but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone brave enough? I guess if you back up the iPhone first should be no problem. GBR is 181 MB!

Mike

I think you will find that this probably doesnt work. I tried doing that to load the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed cams. When iTunes tries to load it it checks the size, if it is not right it downloads the entire package from the server and installs it. All you end up achieving is trebling the time it takes to install and ending up with the same bloat.

The only successful way I have found to cut the size is to do a full install then ftp into the iphone and delete the maps you dont want. It tidies up the iphone, but you still need the space to load in the first place.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The details for installing the PocketGPSWorld Cams is here Second or third post on the page.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well thanks Mike - I suppose it didt did seem a bit easy. And to FTP you need to jailbreak?

Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:
Oh well thanks Mike - I suppose it didt did seem a bit easy. And to FTP you need to jailbreak?

Mike

I am afraid so.
davast
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
davast wrote:
The software is working very well. I have a Brodit holder (that accepts the iPhone in a case) sat on the dash and the signal lock has been excellent.

Can you confirm exactly which holder you have, please? I'm after something I can use with a case.

SSR - sorry been away for a weekend break. I purchased this http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitting_Instructions/Mounts.asp?Brodit=915290&Make=Apple&Model=iPhone%203GS
from DSL Developements. It works really well, tried it with two different cases and no problems encountered. Use it with a Griffin Powerjolt.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As reviewed by me here.
grommit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just on the subject of pricing for the UK only version of Sygic, I wrote to them and they advise that the price will be £49.99 - so I bought the full European kit which seemed a much better deal.

They also advised that maps will not be changeable, so if you buy the UK one you will not be able to add maps, rather you will have to purchase a whole new system.

On a positive note, routing from contacts is a planned addition as I think was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update, I don't feel so bad about paying what I did for the Europe version now, however the problem with the European version is that it is too large - there needs to be a way to only load the maps you need at any particular time - and the maps need to be separate from the application, so that updates and bug fixes can be supplied without having to download and install the maps again.
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grommit wrote:
Hi

Just on the subject of pricing for the UK only version of Sygic, I wrote to them and they advise that the price will be £49.99 - so I bought the full European kit which seemed a much better deal.

Mark

Disapointing to see this price point. I know it is still cheaper than Navigon but still to expensive for a software only solution
The Sygic US is £34.99. OZ £37.99
So £49.99 is a rip off as far as I am concerned

I keep looking out for the Xroad UK version which may be at a lower price point if there other maps are anything to go by

ern
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50 , a rip off you must be joking, thats a good price in my opinion Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes soon as Uk maps arrive I shall be the first downloader to get a bargain!!
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: