Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Data rate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Data rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Data rate Reply with quote

Does anybody have an idea as to TMC bandwidth requirements?

My existing mobile tariff includes 500kB of GPRS data a month. I'm hoping this will be enough to make reasonable use of the TT3 traffic feature (when it becomes available). Am I being overly optimistic?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're mixing up TMC (which is carried on RDS via FM radio) with TomTom Traffic.

When TomTom Traffic becomes available, I should be able to give people some idea of the usage. I don't much mind if I use two or three MBytes per month; I'm paying GBP2.35 per MByte (including VAT) for GPRS Internet on my Vodafone contract. Obviously it depends exactly how much you use it, but I can't think it's going to transfer that much data over GPRS.

Are you sure that your included 500KBytes is GPRS Internet? That sounds more like the sort of allowance you'd get for GPRS WAP - particularly with O2 online.

GPRS WAP is almost certainly useless for TomTom Traffic. The chances are that you'll need full GPRS Internet access. If you can open web pages in Pocket Internet Explorer over GPRS you should be all set.

David
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I think you're mixing up TMC (which is carried on RDS via FM radio) with TomTom Traffic.

Quite possibly! In my defence, I did notice two files called tmccodes and tmcpaths in amongst the TT3 map data. Coincidence I guess.

DavidW wrote:
Are you sure that your included 500KBytes is GPRS Internet? That sounds more like the sort of allowance you'd get for GPRS WAP - particularly with O2 online.

It is an O2 online tariff, and it is internet GPRS as you put it. AFAIK, there's no distinction. Like GSM, GPRS is just a data bearer. WAP can be run over either. (e.g. the tariff also includes 500mins of WAP over GSM)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a distinction - you can only access whatever APNs you're permitted by the network to access. A WAP APN will only give you access to a WAP gateway, which you can't use for general Internet traffic.

There are such things as closed APNs for access to private networks and/or to allow VPN usage where it's generally not allowed to all subscribers (unless it's changed, ordinary Orange users can't use VPN via orangeinternet though I believe some Orange business customers do have VPN facilities).

David
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks.

I've since checked my phone and there are two different GPRS accounts. One for WAP and one for general internet access (to which the 500kB allowance applies). The WAP one appears to be used for picture messaging.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
The WAP one appears to be used for picture messaging.

That would make sense, as MMS goes via a WAP gateway. However, Orange uses a different APN for MMS to WAP - possibly to make the job of charging easier.

The UK standard for picture messaging charging is that you're not charged anything to receive a picture, and you're charged a flat fee to send a picture or other multi-media message (some networks have two or three charge bands depending on the size of the message) - though both sending and receiving involve some GPRS usage. This is a departure from general GPRS charging, which, in the UK, is done by the sum of bytes sent and received.

David
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the codes used in TomTom3 Traffic are TMC not the Trafficmaster variety, hence the differences between Taffic-I and TomTom Traffic Reporting (Taffic-I uses Trafficmaster Data), TotTom3 Uses TMC, as is shown by the TMC Data and display paths in the software,

As for Saying TMC is a radio only format, this is incorrect, the quote below is from the TMC Website, (Link below for more detailed fully descriptive article)

Quote:
New delivery channels are emerging that could carry TMC services, including digital radio (DAB), mobile Internet, paging and GSM/GPRS mobile phone networks.

http://www.tmcforum.com/tmc/what_is.htm
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - my apologies for not helpfully distinguishing carrier issues (that is RDS-TMC as opposed to traffic data, which can be TMC, over GPRS) versus TMC as a technology.

I had originally read the question as about the architecture of RDS-TMC - then scrubbed my response when I realised it was TomTom Traffic being talked about.

I guess such mistakes on my part come from trying to answer a lot of posts fairly quickly. You're quite right, Vicky - TMC is not just an RDS technology.

David
suitably Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: