Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Europe now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Europe now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for permission to publish this from Apple which I have received, it would appear you get a full refund and when the issue with Sygic is resolved you need to purchase the application/ maps again as the original purchase has been re-funded:

Apple Support wrote:
Thank you for replying back with the additional information you provided on not being able to download "Mobile Maps Europe" due to error 8003. I am also sorry that the instructions I provided you were not helpful with this issue, as I realize paying for an item that you never received is upsetting and I would like to resolve this issue for you today.

I did some investigation into this matter and it appears that "Mobile Maps Europe - Turn-by-Turn Voice Guided GPS Navigation" is no longer available on the App Store. Please also note that "Mobile Maps Europe - Turn-by-Turn Voice Guided GPS Navigation" may have been removed from the store due to the download issue you experienced. The Developer of this application is the best resource for information. Therefore, I recommend you contact the Developer directly for any additional information they may be able to provide you with.
Please visit:

http://www.sygic.com/help.php

Furthermore, please know, I have gone ahead and removed "Mobile Maps
Europe - Turn-by-Turn Voice Guided GPS Navigation" from your download
queue and have reversed the charge for this purchase. In three to five
business days, a credit of 59.99 GBP should be posted to your account
that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

Mike, I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your
understanding. You are a valued customer and I want your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible. Please know that the satisfaction of our customers is of utmost importance at the iTunes Store. Sincerely.......

As a tease I also asked about a certain application with a pair of red hands for the iPhone and got no more than expected as an answer - Polite and professional, lets see what Monday can bring with Sygic though - Mike
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: iDA Europe / Sygic Reply with quote

I see. Seems odd in that case that the only people that could use iDA are iphone users who have Jailbroken their iphones and although i really like this app compared with Navigon, i'm a little cautious to shell out $109 for it as i know nothing about the company and wonder about its long term development/existence, they could stop developing it after a year or so and then where would that leave us. Although i want to buy i think i would be better off investing in a well established company like TomTom. Rather the devil you know and all that
J2b2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: iDA Europe / Sygic Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:
I see. Seems odd in that case that the only people that could use iDA are iphone users who have Jailbroken their iphones and although i really like this app compared with Navigon, i'm a little cautious to shell out $109 for it as i know nothing about the company and wonder about its long term development/existence, they could stop developing it after a year or so and then where would that leave us. Although i want to buy i think i would be better off investing in a well established company like TomTom. Rather the devil you know and all that

The reason why only jailbroken users could use IDA i think is because IDA was released pre os 3.0. Where apple did not allow turn by turn navigation software onto the applestore. Hence maybe why they were selling it in cydia under "IDA".

Now apple does allow turn by turn navigation on the store it has hence been released on the apple store.

That would be my guess.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I asked for permission to publish this from Apple which I have received, it would appear you get a full refund and when the issue with Sygic is resolved you need to purchase the application/ maps again as the original purchase has been re-funded:

The same form letter response I got after they tried fobbing me off and I pointed out that Sygic had told me that everyone was having the same problem and no-one could access the download.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: iDA Europe / Sygic Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:

Why the heck would you but this when it is MORE expensive than the authorised one?

As has been pointed out, IDA and Sygic are the same and it was offered via Cydia in this way to circumvent Apple's prohibition of nav apps pre-OS3.0.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: iDA Europe / Sygic Reply with quote

J2b2 wrote:
The reason why only jailbroken users could use IDA i think is because IDA was released pre os 3.0. Where apple did not allow turn by turn navigation software onto the applestore. Hence maybe why they were selling it in cydia under "IDA".

Now apple does allow turn by turn navigation on the store it has hence been released on the apple store.

That would be my guess.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: iDA Europe / Sygic Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Why the heck would you but this when it is MORE expensive than the authorised one?

As has been pointed out, IDA and Sygic are the same and it was offered via Cydia in this way to circumvent Apple's prohibition of nav apps pre-OS3.0.

I was only considering purchasing it because I thought it was not going to reappear on iTunes, But now it looks like it may be back on the Apps store at some point, although you can still download it via Cydia, so I'm not sure how Apple will allow it on the App store if you can sill get it elsewhere
J2b2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well australia maps version has been selling for a week? Dont worry about it it will be on the apps store again shortly im sure. I also read somewhere that they are no longer selling the version on cydia anyway.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2b2 wrote:
well australia maps version has been selling for a week? Dont worry about it it will be on the apps store again shortly im sure. I also read somewhere that they are no longer selling the version on cydia anyway.

After reading your message i thought i would check Cydia on my iPhone. You can still download iDA and all the European maps. Not sure where you got your info from m8
J2b2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea you can download the trial but i was told you cant buy it. Its irrelevent either way as obviously its best to buy it from the apple store.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this reply from an enquiry i made to Sygic a few days ago. thought I'd share it

"Hi

Sygic took off the Application from AppStore, because they have the link problem on Friday, Saturday to not damage the brand of Sygic. Sygic was fully accepted by Apple in Europe and sales start, however after repeatingly reported iTunes problem 8003 when download appeared, Sygic canceled the sales. That was the only way to protect customers.

Sygic is not selling the iDA and try to stop all these activities. Sygic is selling trough iTunes the best selling Australia and Asia GPS navi product."
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic have now posted more on this issue here and they have a press release published below.

I really feel for them, they are rightly proud of their product and Apple have dropped a ball somewhere and left them high and dry.

The nature of the Appstore is that developers have very little control over issues such as this and whereas TomTom might have the clout Sygic are left preying that Apple sort the issues out.

I know we're all desperately awaiting the app's release and Sygic are screaming at Apple as loudly as they can but this sort of issue must be costing Sygic a lot of lost business.

Sygic Press Release wrote:
News release > Important distribution information
Sygic Mobile Maps nav app temporarily unavailable at iTunes; unknown error 8003; re-posting awaited soon

Soon after Sygic Mobile Maps 2009 for iPhone for South East Asia and Australia & New Zealand reached no.1 paid app downloads in both regions last week, the long awaited turn-by-turn voice guided nav app was for Europe was launched last Friday. However, soon after its launch, the ‘unknown error 8003’ has caused it to be temporarily removed from sales. Information will be available on HYPERLINK "http://www.sygic.com" www.sygic.com as soon as the issue is resolved and the app will re-appear on iTunes.

Friday afternoon. Samuel Jurdik, Sygic’s manager of Mobile Maps Licence and Web Store distribution, to iTunes Connect support team: "Our customers from all around the world complain it is not possible to download the app.  They all mention the same error – unknown error 8003.  This error displays few seconds after hitting the Buy button in iTunes.  I tried it myself, the same error.  Our support received large number of customer complaints even though it is not an issue with the application itself, the application fails to download.“

The 'unknown error 8003' generated by iTunes seems to be a result of a non-working link to download. “Unfortunately, we have no way how to fix this ourselves.” says Michal Stencl, Sygic’s CEO. Application provider does not have any possibilities to change or define the link for its application as it is proceeding through the extensive range of processes on Apple side. All content, data and applications are located on Apple servers. This way it is purely an Apple issue, being a distribution channel for the application. Nevertheless, after a huge increase of customers’ questions what happened, Sygic tried by itself and decided to temporarily remove the app from sales as the only way to protect further customers from disappointment.

“First of all, I would like to assure all affected buyers that iTunes will compensate their purchase, when the app was not delivered – the complete policy is available in the iTunes section of problem reporting”. adds Anna Hurbanic, Sygic’s PR Manager. “We totally understand the frustration of the fans of our nav software – after waiting so long for its release for iPhone on App Store, they want to buy it, but a technical issue doesn’t allow them to finish the process – any of us is annoyed and confused what to do next, if the transaction fails, be it for a flight ticket, holiday or an app like this one. That is why it had to be disabled for sales temporarily to avoid this negative experience. We hope – and are pushing - for a fast response and fix of the issue, and then we can only trust that the guys that appreciate our application will come back to hit the ‘Buy’ button again.”

Information about the fix will be available on http://www.sygic.com]www.sygic.com as soon as the issue is resolved and the app will re-appear on iTunes.

Sygic Mobile Maps is a proven application on a range of more than 150 mobile phones and smartphones – iPhone enthusiasts can therefore benefit from all the feedback of Win Mobile and Symbian phone users so far.

Features & benefits:
latest maps included

crisp-clear catchy graphic interface

smooth map movement

quick destination input options – even when typing with errors

high speed of route calculation

instant re-routing in case you missed a turn

rotation sensor for automatic switching between landscape/portrait operation in real-time

your language (from more than 30 available – if you cannot find yours, let us know)

automatic return to the app and the up-to-date route after a phone call

intuitive operation & easy personalization, incl. personal settings of the main screen info bar

automatic or manual day/night view

all important safety features, including lane assistance, speed limit indication, safety cameras, information about railway crossings and dangerous areas

preview of the route and turn instructions list for planning journeys

thousands of POIs; among others also a list of parking options nearby for you to select and be guided to

selection between car and bicycle modes for optimum route calculation

nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reeks of a conspiracy to me. I suspect the Sygic product is at least as good as if not better than Tomtoms. Therefore Apple/Tomtom don't want them to have a head start before Tomtom can turn their vapourware into some sort of app. Their product will then sell on brand name alone regardless of functionality and probably at a much higher price.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that, whilst I can't see there being a conspiracy, it does show how easy it would be for Apple to massage the system to favour one product over another.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Apple haven't been quicker to respond. They're clearly losing revenue as well, and it can't be rocket science to get a working download.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: