Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How To Open A Garmin Nuvi 7x5 To Access The Battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Open A Garmin Nuvi 7x5 To Access The Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: How To Open A Garmin Nuvi 7x5 To Access The Battery Reply with quote

This is intended to be a guide on how to open the back of a Garmin nuvi. You might want to do this to disconnect the battery which will reset a bricked Garmin nuvi 7x5, to replace the battery or to replace the speaker.

This will most likely invalidate your Garmin warranty. Proceed at your own risk.

The design of the nuvi 7x5 is probably similar to many other Nuvis with similar sized cases and this guide can probably be used on a wide range of models.

1) First of all you need to remove the 2 Torx screws at the bottom rear of the case. You'll need a T5 screwdriver for this.

2) With the screws removed the section of the case between the screw holes will be quite easy to part, even with a thumb nail or thin plastic object. Take care to only part the case and not to damage anything inside.

3) Work your way around the case in either direction pulling the case apart. You need to be firm to part the clips but not so much the case flies open or you damage something. If you are using a thin plastic tool then twisting it like a key can help. The battery and speaker are stuck to the rear section of the case and there are 2 cables that connect them to the front part of the case. It's best to start from the bottom of the case and move around the sides leaving the top part until last.

4) Once you've prised apart 7-8 clips around the case it will fall into 2 halves. Be careful as there are 2 cables connecting the 2 halves.

This is looking at the Nuvi from the back with the back case dropped down. Note the position of the antenna socket (bottom right) and the multi-pin connector and USB port along the bottom of the case. Also the speaker is the silver object still attached to the rear case.

5) The battery for information. Rechargeable Li-on, 3.7 v, 1.25 Ah, Part Number: 361-00019-12

6) The battery is connected via 3 wires going into one plug. The plug can be disconnected easily with a thumbnail.

7) The plug is "keyed" so it'll only go into the socket the right way round.

8) If you are performing a reset for a bricked 7x5 then just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Once reconnected take care NOT to switch the unit on.

If you are replacing the battery, the existing battery is stuck to the case with a sticky sheet. Just pull the old battery off and use the sticky sheet to stick the new battery to the case. Then connect the new battery to the main unit.

9) Close the case by lining up the two halves and carefully push them together. Start in one corner and work your way round until all the case is closed securely. Then replace the 2 Torx screws and you are done.

NOTE: If you have performed a battery reset for a bricked 7x5, do NOT switch the unit on at any stage. Once the reset is done and the unit put back together, plug the unit into your PC and run WebUpdater to get the latest firmware. Make sure this is 3.60 (or higher).
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on how to open a nuvi 660? It does not have any torx screws as far as I can see. My battery is not holding its charge well now. Fine in the car though.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
Any thoughts on how to open a nuvi 660? It does not have any torx screws as far as I can see. My battery is not holding its charge well now. Fine in the car though.

Though I've never actually encountered a Nüvi 6xx in the flesh, I believe they are physically just a bigger version of the 3xx Series. The screws are therefore to be found under the flap containing the GPS receiver module.

See HERE for some 3xx series instructions.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil. I got distracted by a holiday soon after my post and, having had my smartphone stolen bought a Nuvifone on my return. That has Garmin Satnav built in.
I have now looked at my 660 and it looks just like the 330/350 photos that you linked to. I will have a go once the battery gets really bad. I have Lifetime maps so it will be worth keeping it going.
Thanks again
Ron
carltoncom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Dead 765T Reply with quote

Hi. Before i found this link i found one that just said pull the battery and turn it back on.
Now i dont get any green light or any sign of life.
You say do NOT turn it on,but connect it to pc to let it do updates.
It wont connect to pc. Is it permanently dead and only usefull for a donor screen?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: