Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera database/maps on iphone nav software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera database/maps on iphone nav software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: speed camera database/maps on iphone nav software Reply with quote

Sort of says it really - I've a Garmin 660 and they want £60 for map update and don't give any detail on what's new. I have a iphone 3G and e.g. the Navigon s/w and maps are £60 at moment and I could lose a device. So for this or TT or Sygic etc., what about the PGPSW cameras? Any advice appreciated.

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the Navigon application for iPhone doesn't support third party POI files so there is no way to install the PGPSW database.
As for Sygic and TomTom we will have to wait and see if they include third party POI support when they launch.
There is also the PGPSW Speed Camera application for warning using the iPhone when its ready for release - Mike
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick - many thanks. I'll look out for both

Thanks, Mike
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering for a while whether this is going to be a deal breaker for me when it comes to iPhone sat-nav software.

At the moment I have an original TomTom Go. Still working very well.

The Go doesn't get used every day - we know where the cameras & van hiding places are on our way to work.

I tend to keep the Go with me - its in my little rucksack which also houses my laptop. That way if I'm in the office & get a job where I need it, the Go is with me. Sometimes my wife borrows it though - so it would be nice to have another "backup" app on the iPhone.

Obviously the Go has the PGPSW database on it Smile I'm a lifetime member and still try to spot new cameras when I can. We've already decided that should the Go break, we'll get a One or something similar to replace it.

If I am using iPhone sat-nav, and going somewhere unfamiliar, PGPSW speed cameras would be superb - and this is something that the software companies could allow relatively easy.

There are already applications available which allow documents to be transferred to the iPhone. To see this, download Files Lite from the app store. This little app presents itself as a WebDAV server on your local network using the iPhones WiFi.

So its technically very possible - a sat-nav app could include a simple HTTP or WebDAV server to enable uploading of third party POI data.

Whether not having the speed camera database available in an iPhone sat-nav app would be a problem - I'm still undecided. Yes I would like it, but a deal breaker? not sure.

Sorry if this is a little long winded.
I have also emailed Sygic to ask them about possibilities to upload third party POI data - since we know already the Nagigon software does not support third party POI's?

Regards,

Ashley
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is also the PGPSW Speed Camera application for warning using the iPhone when its ready for release - Mike

Any (rough) idea on release date/price Mike?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Any (rough) idea on release date/price Mike?

We're working through debugging and trying to find out if the in-app subscription model is workable for us.

Release date and pricing still to be decided but it will be competitive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: