Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - We need your help - FIVE One Year subscriptions on offer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

We need your help - FIVE One Year subscriptions on offer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: We need your help - FIVE One Year subscriptions on offer Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comIn a few weeks time we will begin running a PR campaign designed to raise our profile in the wider media.

We want your help in identifying the daftest speed cameras locations in Britain. Do you pass a speed camera that is located where traffic is always congested?

Perhaps a speed camera van which causes a bigger hazard when parked than the danger it is there to prevent?

Or maybe even a camera sited where maximum revenue can be raised rather than maximum safety?

Post your suggestions in the thread linked below, if you can provide pictures of the camera, all the better.

If we use your suggestion in our PR campaign we'll give you a year's free subscription, if you are a Lifer already then we'll find something else of equal value to give you.

With nearly 300,000 of you I'm sure we can find 5 of the best/worst!

Get your thinking caps on and lets see what ya got.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help enormously if you could post the Lat/Lon of the camera or the Camera ID number used in our database.

This can be found by locating the camera via our submission map here, click the camera icon with your mouse and the ID will appear at top left of the map frame e.e. GATSO:12345@50.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOBILE:17140@40
This camera is a money generator, it's the one Hull City's chairman was recently caught at. It's at the bottom of a long sweeping downhill dual carriage-way flyover, with a slip road at the bottom coming in from your left. The van is parked up just around the bend 200 yards before the road become 70mph from 40mph.
If you ran a competion to design a road for the perfect speed trap, you could not do better than this. This road has had several accidents - on the other side going east!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Fareham to Gosport Reply with quote

Camera 13898@30. Road is always congested as traffic leaves Fareham on the A32 to Gosport. You are lucky to get above 25 at most times of the day!!
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Telford Way A406 London Reply with quote

Telford way on the north circular road A406. Honestly i despair the traffic crawls along day in day out every day and there must be 2 or 3 cameras
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the most hidden gatso??
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, its the M25 anywhere they've got cones out.

What was it I win again? Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
what about the most hidden gatso??

We'd like to hear about them too.
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: TRUVELO:5535@40, Heading:15, Single Direction Reply with quote

This has got to be THE dumbest position for a camera, take a look at the PocketGPS map location and you'll see it positioned at the START of a motorway! So everyone on the dual carriageway (leading into the M275) starts hitting the brakes when they see it, causing all sorts of 'domino effect' problems instead of, what should be, starting a nice smooth SAFE acceleration for Motorway speed!

Portsmouth folk were dumbfounded when this was installed.

And they jokingly call this a "Safety Camera"...HA!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUVELO:5535@40

Which lanes does it cover? The 2 one the left with the pedestrian crossing a little further up or the 2 on the right that lead to the M275?

Quote:
instead of, what should be, starting a nice smooth SAFE acceleration for Motorway speed!

At what point does the speed limit change? If the map is accurate then no-one should be accelerating until after the Monitron anyway. I know it's usually "accepted" for people to start accelerating when they see a higher speed limit sign in the distance but legally the speed limit is enforceable right up up to the speed limit sign.

I suspect this camera is positioned to "watch" the non-motorway traffic, esp as there is a bus stop and pedestrian crossing ahead.

Also traffic heading onto the M275 can only accelerate from 40 to 50 mph and not Motorway speed.
webb80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Daft Cameras Reply with quote

Centre Latitude: 52.414984998054834 Longitude: -1.7272567749023438

This one is on the M42 between jnc 5 & 6, it's part of the traffic flow management system ( what a joke!?!?!) the matrix's are often set at speeds of 40 or 50mph when traffic is moving well or light!?!? I use this section a lot and they also on late at night when there is very little traffic and off when it's busy Confused Confused If this site is not a police cash point I don't know where is Exclamation Exclamation

I'm sure many users would agree!

Hi Darren many thanks for doing my car as an icon.

steve
Rodanjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mobile camera on the North side of the A466, opposite Tintern Abbey, is there purely as a money box. I perceive little danger but it is very easy to exceed the 30mph limit when approaching this camera. If there really was a danger to the public then the local authority would do what they have done on the next village to the North - lots of warning of the 30mph zone ahead
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy!

Euston Road in Central London:
30mph: Latitude: 51.527769576550604 Longitude: -0.12947559356689453

This has got to be one of the most congested roads in Britain. I pass it every day, at different times of the day, and have never failed to see a traffic jam.

If anyone gets a speeding ticket off it, they deserve a prize.
TomTom Home: v2
efiniste
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOBILE:7026@50

On the A57 Snake Pass between Manchester and Sheffield.

Camera positioned on the only well sighted and arrow straight part of the whole road, removing possibly the only safe overtaking opportunity.

edit: wrong camera number, originally had the one up the road which is nearly as bad!
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Entry............

Surely the one at the bottom of the Eastern Road heading into Portsmouth ( TRUVELO:51456@40 ) qualifies.....its at the start of the single lane section after everybody is squashed from dual carriageway hence they're not moving......Shows how much the Camera Partnership love it.....last year a car drove into it demolishing the camera......they soon got a new one up there!!!!

On the M275 Camera - I "believe" it reaches across the two lanes going down to the Ferry Port and the first lane of the traffic heading onto the M-way.....however I don't really want to try it in the 2nd lane of the M-Way approach to find out!!! (Remember Kids the M275 is a 50mph until after the end of the slip road bringing traffic out of the Ferry port then it goes to 60mph).

I think Mr Jermaine Defoe may be able to help on some of the cameras around Portsmouth "if" he was driving at the time : http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Defoe-found-guilty-of-speeding.5319990.jp - The one at the beginning of the M275 is also known as Mile End Road......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: