Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
It's a two edged sword if the evidence isn't in your favour.

All the more reason to drive responsibly then? If it acts as a useful reminder as to your driving behaviour it will have yet another benefit.
Murdoc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: RoadHawk Reply with quote

This is my first time on the forum so please forgive any errors in etiquette!
My question would be is this device approved in any way/by anyone, videos can be fiddled with so would the data be admissible in a British court?
I like the idea of it, but if it’s not admissible then it's an expensive gadget.
The price of cameras not I’m sure it could be modified so it can have a second camera that looks out the back as well
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know the exact legality of Videos, but a few years back when my car was vandalised outside the house by drunken yobboes we had it all captured on a security camera. When we offered this video to the police they said they couldn't accept it as evidence simply because videos could be altered!
Yet the first thing the police do when a serious crime has been committed is go round the local firms checking their security videos for evidence which as we know has often resulted in the criminals being brought to justice especially when such videos are consequently shown on programmes such as "Crimewatch" etc.
Any Lawyers amongst our fraternity who can clarify this point?

.....Ken

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: RoadHawk Reply with quote

Murdoc wrote:
My question would be is this device approved in any way/by anyone, videos can be fiddled with so would the data be admissible in a British court?
I like the idea of it, but if it’s not admissible then it's an expensive gadget.

Welcome Personally, for me the question about admissible in court doesn't matter, I merely want it for recording my travels, with the special benefit it will help me with Verifying PGPSW speed camera sites - I don't have to prove it to myself.

No more expensive than any other video cameras, no more or less admissible than them too? We currently have various videos being used as some form of evidence, including mobile phone videos. They may not be graven in stone, but certainly prompt serious consideration. As for "alterable", I'd think altering a moving video is a different proposition from altering a still photo - I can fiddle in a very amateur way with a jpeg, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to start changing a video to lie about the events filmed. Sure, cut out some scenes, but not change the sequence to show me driving like an angel as I cut you down!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that irrespective of the legality of this device in a court of law, it can certainly be used to corroborate your statement on the insurance form. Indeed a lot of incidents don't get reported to the authorities, but still result in insurance claims being made.

It is a little like taking pictures of a crash scene, people are advised to do that. The fact that you have some record of the event even if it is used as an aide memoir must have some benefit. Also watching a video back can often show things happening in different way to that originally perceived.

Having said that one wonders if this is indeed a good thing? How long before all cars are mandated to carry these, either by law or by stealth from insurance companies reducing premiums? Once it is ubiquitous how long will it be for the nanny state to insist on reviewing these videos to slap fines on us for minor mistakes and misdemeanours. If we thought that the deployment of Speed Cameras was a bad thing...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Having said that one wonders if this is indeed a good thing?
Spoilsport! I want one, I want one - just so long as Darren doesn't slate it in his review.
Quote:
Once it is ubiquitous how long will it be for the nanny state to insist on reviewing these videos to slap fines on us for minor mistakes and misdemeanours.
Are you suggesting that plod will have nothing better to do than decide to pull a whitevanman, signal me over, then climb in to look at my video to show I was speeding yesterday in Nether Hopping? They don't even have time to call round when my van gets done over and somebody nicks my Black Dyke Mills brass band CD! How much time and effort do they already put in on HGV Tachographs? - not enough to stop excess drivers' hours and speed violations.

Or that having stopped me for actual speeding will seize the video to prove it?

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Or that having stopped me for actual speeding will seize the video to prove it?

It's not so much the 60 quid and 3 points type offences. It's when someone (and heaven forbid that it should be any of us) is involved in a serious incident, this could be used in evidence in a criminal or civil case and it may be for or against you.

Darren wrote:
All the more reason to drive responsibly then? If it acts as a useful reminder as to your driving behaviour it will have yet another benefit.

Yes, the good old Policemans line "If you have nothing to hide then what's your problem". Smile I do find that the fear of death keeps me on the straight and narrow but my driving style on the bike is such that my preference is to have plausible deniability on my side rather than a video and GPS tracklog if you get what I mean. It's the difference between "I think you were doing xx MPH there and me responding, I'm really not sure what speed I was doing". The evidence against me may be weak and in the absence of a confession there may be no case.

Of course it could help you if you were stopped and they overestimate your speed - I was once accused of doing a speed that was patently ridiculous and would have constituted a very serious offence if true (it wasn't). The officer insisted that I admit it and he would let me off with a warning but I refused to admit anything - I'd not committed the offence he claimed. I challenged the officer to drive through the section of road at even half the speed he claimed I was doing and he backed down eventually. He was very unpleasant from the outset though - I guess he was just having a bad day. Confused

As for the evidence being admissible in court, it could certainly be tampered with and the court would consider the reliability of the evidence when making a judgement. However, with proper handling and record of the chain of custody for the evidence, it will be taken fairly seriously in court. As corroborating evidence it may well be useful and in a civil court (where it is most likely to be used) there is a lower burden of proof.

It's definately each to their own on this one. If you are a cautious driver and keep largely within the law then this would be a good thing to have. I can certainly see how a fleet operator would like to install a load of these units. For a fleet operator it's a good situation. If it was his driver at fault he disciplines the driver and never offers the evidence to the other party. If his driver was in the clear, he can bring a civil case against the other party using the video as evidence.

A friend had one of his fleet drivers (allegedly) cut in front of a bus causing it to brake heavily. A passenger on the bus claims personal injury and they have a multimillion pound civil case hanging over them. The CCTV evidence from the bus is being used against them. They claim that the case is frivolous and this is all covered by insurance of course, but they have taken a massive hit on their premiums while the case is pending (and it will be some time before it's resolved).

If the case is dismissed, the only ones who win are the lawyers and the insurance company who get to keep the extra premiums paid during the protracted claim. Evil or Very Mad
tekwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Roadhawk Reply with quote

Have a look at www.drivers-eye.com They are doing the same device cheaper and the info on their pages is far more detailed. Lots of sample videos to play with too.
tekwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I got one from drivers-eye a few days ago and tried to hack the video. The file format is proprietary and although you can get a convertor to change it to AVI, the GPS and gforce data is only in the original format so you lose it on the AVI. If you use the supplied viewer there is no edit funtions and the Video is time/date stamped too and as its encrypted you cant alter it. Just waiting to see if someone crashes into me so I can show the nice judge..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: RoadHawk Reply with quote

Murdoc wrote:
This is my first time on the forum so please forgive any errors in etiquette!
The price of cameras not I’m sure it could be modified so it can have a second camera that looks out the back as well

The data and the software has been designed such that the original files cannot be tampered with thus making them more evidence worthy.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering how the review of the product is coming along - can't locate it yet. Something similar is the T-eye which records images front and back though looks like it might be a fiddle to put on and take off whereas Roadhawk looks like it could almost sit on a bean bag on the dash.
Looking forward to the review.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RoadHawk has far surpassed expectations. I'd hoped to have a review up sooner but summer hols got in the way. Busy writing it now.

It works very well, the picture quality is good and it ticks all the boxes. So much so that I'm going to buy one.

Give me a few days and I'll get the review up ASAP.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we win it in a competition or are you sending it back?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a loaner but I'll see what we can do.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we make it a competition limited to just old Moderators who are fat and grumpy and live within a 10 miles radius of Bristol? (Bristol UK).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: