Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been posted, but if you want to see JUST the TomTom for iPhone announcement made during the WWDC, it can be found on YouTube Here.

Also, interestingly on the TomTom Flicker photostream Here, a TomTom representative responds to a question by stating that there is no OTA (Over The Air) requirement to use the TomTom for iPhone app - just a map purchase and download via the Apple Store - read for yourself Here - scroll down to the second comment.

My money isn't on the app being available tomorrow, the 17th June 2009, when OS 3.0 is available as a download upgrade to iPhone 2.5G and 3G models (plus iTouch).
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

a TomTom representative responds to a question by stating that there is no OTA (Over The Air) requirement to use the TomTom for iPhone app - just a map purchase and download via the Apple Store

Presumably Traffic services etc. would require it though.

I assume you meant that the app would be downloaded to the device rather than being accessed over the ether Smile
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
I assume you meant that the app would be downloaded to the device rather than being accessed over the ether

No, there's a strong business case for requiring OTA mapping or other forms of live communication to prevent piracy. Fortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case with TomTom for iPhone.

Incidentally, none of the screen shots shown so far, nor any of the statements, have mentioned 'Traffic' functionality.

In terms of functionality, all we know is 'IQ routes'. We don't even yet know if the POI functionality shown on screen infers 3rd party POIs.

What's been shown (no doubt a pre-lease version of code) looks very simplistic. That said, a lot could be hidden from view, so we'll just have to wait for further information.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody able to update to OS3 yet?

My iPhone still says 2.2.1 is the latest version. Maybe they are staggering the release to avoid overload. Or is this all based on US timing?
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen on the Apple iPhone forum, 10am California time, 6pm UK, appears to be the most popular theory.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the update will be throttled in any way? 10,000,000 iPhone users plus the iPod Touch users all trying to update will crash the servers and kill bandwidth.

It would make a lot of sense to roll out the update to Asia, Europe and the Americas during the day and lessen the impact on the servers. But then we are talking about Apple a company able to keep secrets (pretty much) and deliver to a timetable.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I upgraded my iPod Touch (Now the wifes) to OS2 a while back, there were horrendous problems that's why I asked the question.

I agree with Mike that the release should be staggered but couldn't you access any server for the update, i.e. US users could access European servers just to be ahead of the game?

Could they put a geographical bar on?
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen an article on theregister.co.uk that says Apple have delayed release for 1 day due to a last minute hitch. It seems genuine enough.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Just seen an article on theregister.co.uk that says Apple have delayed release for 1 day due to a last minute hitch. It seems genuine enough.

Relax, the update is still expected to fall around 17:00-19:00 GMT today, June 17th. The reason for the report was poor journalism - not checking facts.

If you happen to live further East, you will indeed need to wait until the 18th for the software, on account of it's expected release at around 10am PST; everyone appears to be gaining access at the same time, it's just that moment in time falls on different dates depending on your location. The initial report did not reflect that the information related to Singapore, where the release time will indeed fall on the 18th (for them).

That said, if all 40 million iPhone/Touch owners try to access the 298MB download at once, it'll probably be next week before we get it installed!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where legal t o rrents should be used by big companies...

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine has downloaded OS3 on restart it refused to connect to iTunes App Store with an error message on the PC, after about 20 attempts of disonnect/ reconnect from the PC it fired up and is working running OS3.

Not the best of upgrades in terms of how information is given to the user, I honestly thought (hoped) this update had bricked the device as that would be a good reason to terminate it - sadly its working agian so I am off for a pint to commiserate - Mike
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Mine did exactly the same thing, the office walls were about to get plastered with laptop and iPhone debris.

After a bit of rebooting both device and machine I eventually hit on signing out of iTunes Store and signing back in again, this seemed to kick the activation process and the phone fired up normally and connected.

Just doing a sync now which is taking an age, I think because its the first backup under OS3.

Now where's the pub? I haven't even had time to do the camera database today Evil or Very Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A2DP works very well since the update BUT why have they failed to add AVRCP audio quality is great via Bluetooth even streaming tracks sampled at 320KBP/s but the lack of AVRCP means no remote control of the iFone from suitably equipped hardware.
I guess the iO-Play Bluetooth module might still be needed as this offers the A2DP AND AVRCP protocol, but OS3 is half way there in terms of what it should be capable of.
Next job is to sort out which icons go on each screen as the update has messed up the position of all my icons, minor issue but annoying all the same - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Gokivo stretches for the line Reply with quote

So here we all are, enjoying a midyear 'Xmas morning effect' as we unwrap our brand new software upgrades, dreaming that the next parcel to be unwrapped might be a TomTom application or windshield mount, and lo, did nobody see them coming?? Who? Goviko! Who????

Business week has an interesting article Here comparing the relative merits of the TomTom and Gokivo offerings for the iPhone.

To learn more about Gokivo's offering for the iPhone, check their website Here.

I never thought I'd say it - and plenty round these parts will never let me forget this - but I'm likely waiting for the TomTom, even if Gokivo comes from nowhere to break the tape and cross the line first - I'm no fan of their subscription model.

So go investigate Gokivo while you wait for news from TomTom, and don't forget who you heard all this from first... yup, that's right, not me, but Business Week!
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see Goviko in the app store - poss because I havent updated to 3.0 yet. How much is it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: