Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 are offering the new OS3 update available from the 17 of June for existing customers, if this gets me A2DP support and "cut and paste" I will be happy, as for the other 100+ features I am not too sure I need them until the OS is installed, lets face it I don't know what they are so how do you know if you need them.

Will I bother with a TT aplication for my iPhone? probably not as I have too many other alternate devices, although I might consider it. Bearing in mind what TomTom have done over the recent years with previously loyal PDA and SmartPhone users I am not too sure I trust them with this one. If its got Live services, TTS, IQ Routes and it still supports third party POI files with associated warnings then I might be interested - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
While the TomTom factor is a major step forward, are the device differences that significant?

I'm starting to itch, just a little.

The good news is the TomTom code is dependent on the 3G iPhone running OS3.0, which is released free of charge next week - it doesn't need the new 3GS model (though it would benefit, no doubt).

Which is just as well, as be aware, when the original 2G iPhone came out, the phone operators didn't subsidise the price. This meant that when the 3G was introduced, they could offer upgrades to people that still had 6 or 12 months of their original iPhone contract to run, effectively wiping the slate clean for them to renew with a 3G contract. This was subsidised by the operators. Thus this time around there's no such offer. If you have an existing iPhone contract, you have to wait until the final month of the contract before you can upgrade. And the prices have gone up.

I paid £159 for a 16GB last September with 600 minutes/500 txts for 18 months.

To buy the 16GB 3GS for 18 months with the same plan, it's now £184.98 ($199 in the US), and that's just for a faster phone, with a better camera & video. The greatest benefit in upgrading would be to the 32GB model, but that's £274.33 ($299 in the US). That's £89.50 for 16GB Flash memory, which seems a bit steep!

This time last year I guess the $/£ currency rate was more beneficial.

I'd love to have their latest gadget with twice the storage, but once I get OS 3.0 onto the original 3G I doubt I can justify £274.33, and even if I was prepared to, I doubt O2 will allow me - at least to begin with.

If there's no generous upgrade path, a lot of iPhone fans are going to find themselves locked into existing contracts - a case where O2's minimum 18 month contract and Apple's 12 month development roadmap don't work well together - I'm surprised they didn't appoint a different netowrk for the 3GS for this reason. We'll all want to upgrade, but chances are far fewer of us will be able to do so this time around, which might force them to introduce something further down the line. But not yet. I suspect.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If its got Live services, TTS, IQ Routes and it still supports third party POI files with associated warnings then I might be interested - Mike

Darren and the rest of you guys will need to try to address the POI issue with TT. Unlike the Windoze (SIC) Mobile and Palm implementations, the iPhone is an extremely 'controlled' environment; unless you go down the jailbreaking route, the only way to hope to get 3rd party POIs (ie our beloved speed cameras) onto the iPhone is if TT specifically engineer their application to import them. A very cash-strapped TT who would want to sell their own speed cameras etc are going to be reluctant to support alternatives, no?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a reasonable assumption, so thinking laterally, perhaps a freeware standalone PGPSW application running the subscription POI warnings in parallel.

Assuming that would be possible on this OS.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS based car navigation applications that don't support third party POI files correctly will be tried by the thousands of iPhone users, then they will abandon the application which leaves a bad taste in the mouth if you have paid more than the normal iPhone application price of 59 Pence (I don't expect TT to sell the maps for 59 pence but the iPhone market is going to get a wake up call once the big boys move in and you can expect application prices to go up as a direct result).

No Third party POI support means no TomTom on my iPhone as the POI files they are capable of supplying are not worth wasting storage space for (normal or premium), also if POI warnings are not offered I won't be interested.

But lets wait and see what they can offer it might be a killer application (but I hope you don't have to purchase the car mount with the software as thats adding to landfill as far as I am concerned when compared to what I use) - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Assuming that would be possible on this OS.

Which it isn't - the only apps that can multitask are those under Apple's direct control. That was a big disappointment of the 3GS; they did think about it, but Apple are a conservative company and baulked.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i'm more interested in sygic for the iphone... they seem better focused on pda/iphone than tomtom have been recently!

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
...you can expect application prices to go up as a direct result.

But lets wait and see what they can offer it might be a killer application (but I hope you don't have to purchase the car mount with the software as thats adding to landfill as far as I am concerned when compared to what I use) - Mike

I think the prices NEED to go up - the amount of 59p utter crap in the app store is going to make 50,000+ applications a negative soon, it's just a farce what's going on.

I think TT deserve to charge a premium for extremely useful software, but I agree, that has to be more than just Mapping. POIs, alerts and traffic has to be reliable, which rules out their own offerings. I want £60's worth of good and supported Navigation, not a 59p effort.

I'll say again though, unless there's some open-source sensibilities behind turn-by-turn (TBT) applications, the closed nature of the iPhone is going to disappoint us when it comes to TBT.

So far, TT have been fairly clear, the software and the mount are separate (though the iPhone is quiet, so you're going to need an external speaker). I happen to think my girlie's Easyport on her ONE is the best mounting solution I've yet seen, and throw in integrated speakers and transmitting to the car audio system and I view the mount as almost MORE important than the software!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
the iPhone is quiet, so you're going to need an external speaker
This is why I want A2DP support as I use the iO-Play add on kit within the car, if the iPhone can connect to this while its in the Brodit Active holder I will be very happy, currently it works for phone calls, but I want full audio capability without third party hardware in the loop - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
personally i'm more interested in sygic for the iphone... they seem better focused on pda/iphone than tomtom have been recently!

MaFt

Then I'm sure you're happy to know that Sygic is in the mix. But I have on good advice that Telenav is the one to watch.[/b]
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
bedbug wrote:
the iPhone is quiet, so you're going to need an external speaker
This is why I want A2DP support as I use the iO-Play add on kit within the car, if the iPhone can connect to this while its in the Brodit Active holder I will be very happy, currently it works for phone calls, but I want full audio capability without third party hardware in the loop - Mike

Hmmm. You'll have to investigate very carefully; Apple is pants at embracing standards, and although 3.0 has A2DP, it's likely to be limited in some way. You never know, they may have opened up Bluetooth, but there's still no support for file exchange, and you may find that Bluetooth routing of audio is still limited in some way (it's possibly going to be limited to Apple's own apps, like the phone and the ipod, and perhaps not the third party TomTom, for example). At least everything should be documented by next week, so things may be clearer.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Then I'm sure you're happy to know that Sygic is in the mix. But I have on good advice that Telenav is the one to watch.[/b]

yep, i know - already seen sygic in action at CeBIT earlier in the year!

i wouldn't touch telenav with a bargepole though...!

MaFt
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've done some things a little special for the iPhone. I expect there may be an announcement soon.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I think the prices NEED to go up - the amount of 59p utter crap in the app store is going to make 50,000+ applications a negative soon, it's just a farce what's going on.

Hoorah, my view exactly. Real worthwhile apps and games deserve, indeed, need a return and 59p ain't it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images released by TomTom:

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: