Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help needed please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smallp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: help needed please Reply with quote

I recently bought a Ipaq3870 with tomtom3,and thought i'd better get a matching tomtom gps+car kit.
I've loaded up tomtom3 via active sync no problems,apart from the maps?,even if i click on the smallest map(london) i get a message saying "cannot connect to your device"??even tho it is connected??if i click on my pda "tomtom3 navigator" it tells me i need to load a map!!!!.
Am i right in thinking that i need more memory?,or could it be something else?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to make your life easier and get yourself a card reader. transferring maps via ActiveSync is not a good idea.

The card reader can also help you defragment your storage card, and then you can move data over from main memory so your 3870 has a better chance to run TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallp, here's my experience.
I have the same problem with CoPilot Live 4 (kit is IPAQ5550/Syson CF GPS and CP Live).
I'm told by CP's tech service that the problem is ActivSync 3.7.1 and the fix is to delete the 3.7.1 and download version 3.7 from the Microsoft web-site.
Hours and hours later, I can't get rid of all 3.7.1 from my lap-top, only some files will allow themselves to be deleted. Since it's a company lap-top, I don't want (and don't know enough) to mess around too much in case I incur the wrath of the IT department.

I'll investigate the card reader option- at yet more expense.

Luke- can you recommend a particular make/model for SD cards for the IPAQ ?

As an aside, if I'd known then what I know now, I would have stuck with maps and not gone down the GPS route. In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble. When it works it's great, but the time and effort to get it to work is out of all proportion to the benefits.
My feeling is that the manufacturers (hard-ware and soft-ware) are sellign partially developed products and letting us de-bug them.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's various useful information about uninstalling ActiveSync 3.7.1 (and the background to the problems some software hits with 3.7.1) in this thread. The last couple of posts of mine on page 2 are particularly interesting.

For a Pocket PC 2003 device, the only alternative version is 3.7 - versions prior to 3.7 lack Pocket PC 2003 support.

I think all versions of ActiveSync can go wrong copying large files via USB or serial connections (they seem to work OK over network connections). The fix for that is to install large files like maps using a card reader.

SD card makes - anything that's not Sandisk is OK. Unfortunately, many brands chop and change manufacturers and Sandisk are the most common manufacturer. SimpleTech (for example from clove.co.uk), Toshiba and Panasonic should be OK, and people are reporting good results with the 256MB 32x Lexar cards (which seem to be Panasonic - though be careful - the standard 256MB Lexar cards have changed from what I believe to be Toshiba to Sandisk and then back to good Japanese cards again, so Lexar can change brands).

David
MikeF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I spent an entire evening trying to install Navigator 3 UK map (101Mb) onto a Sandisk 512Mb compact flash, with disk errors all the time.
I tried reformatting, even running ScanDisk on it, to no avail. I could write ordinary files to it, and use it in my digital camera, but TomTom refused to install the maps.

I switched to a Crucial 128Mb CF card and hey presto it worked fine.

The Sandisk CF was supplied by Dell with my Axim X5 (great price but was it worth it?)

So now Ive got 1/2 Gb in my digital camera!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: