Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Gatso question Reply with quote

Do the rear facing gatso cameras take photos of oncoming traffic aswell?
Today I was approaching a camera on the opposite side of the road. I was going up a hill and my side was a dual lane with no hatch markings for the camera. The opposite side road was single carriage way with the camera markings. The was no central barrier seperating the lanes. On passing the camera it flashed. No other traffic was about, so it deff detected me. I was going slightly over the speed limit. What do you think?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso question Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
Do the rear facing gatso cameras take photos of oncoming traffic aswell?

Assuming this is the GATSO as we all know it, No, they may be triggered by oncoming traffic but they are not Type Approved for use in that role.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea standard gatso. So they'll just chuck the photo then?
Didn't think they could do that, but see plenty of people slow down when there on the other side.
Thanks
Harry06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on a website a few years ago. If a Gatso flashes as you drive towards it, then it means that it is a decoy and therefore hasn't been set up properly. That said, I always try to check my speed when approaching them from any direction.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that but never found anything to confirm it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GATSO near me flashes sometimes if you approach it at night the "wrong way" but it's most definitely live....
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can trigger a couple of the farside Gatsos on the Wolverhampton Road (turns into Birmingham New Road when it gets near Wolvo) but that's only by definitely exceeding the 40mph speed limit.

Something I've wondered though are the roads round here that have just one Gatso, but the accompanying road markers are on both lanes. Are the Gatsos *still* only approved for snapping traffic passing away from them, even if there's the distance markers on both carriageways?

I'm guessing that the reason the markers are there are because people used to just move into the other carriageway when driving past the speed camera (to avoid prosecution). Now, I suspect they're also there as a deterrent to oncoming traffic, but am I right in thinking that irrespective of the markings on the road, if the Gatso takes a photo of an oncoming vehicle it still can't be used in a court?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still believe the markers on both sides are for 'overtakers' or 'if i drive on the other side i wont get caught' people.

my reasons are that my 4 local gatsos, 3 of them have lines on both sides of the road but the 3rd in the series only has them on one side. this one also has a traffic island which would physically stop people from overtaking or driving on the wrong lane (well, except for complete idiots!!) - the other 3 are 'open' in terms of stuff in teh middle of the road.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherW wrote:
Something I've wondered though are the roads round here that have just one Gatso, but the accompanying road markers are on both lanes. Are the Gatsos *still* only approved for snapping traffic passing away from them, even if there's the distance markers on both carriageways?

So long as it is a GATSO i.e one of these:

Then they are not Type Approved for forward facing use and so cannot be used in that scenario. Any evidence gathered in that way is not admissible.
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Have you ever heard of an SCP 'trying it on' as such and attempting to use Gatso-taken images of an oncoming vehicle in any prosecutions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and I doubt they would, CPS know what TA is in place and would never pursue it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: