Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 3 and Works Exits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 3 and Works Exits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrenb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 3 and Works Exits Reply with quote

I programmed a route in yesterday and followed it up to the point where it told me the leave the M25 using a works Exit. Is this normal, and can I tell it not to do this. Any advice would be good ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it did that, it's a mistake in the maps.

The best way to avoid this is to zoom into the map and put a little avoid area over the (erroneous) exit. It then won't use that road as part of route planning. Make sure, though, that your avoid area doesn't impinge on the M25 itself, otherwise Navigator won't route correctly.

The other alternative if it does this is simply to drive on past the works exit and let Navigator re-route, though you may have missed a shorter route from a previous exit.

It would be helpful if you said where the offending works exit is.

I have a little avoid area over the Edgware Road end of Star Street in London (a little way north of Marble Arch) for similar reasons - TomTom Navigator 2 and 3 both believe you can turn right into that road to head towards Paddington when you're heading towards Marble Arch. You can't - there's a raised curb in the middle of the road. With a small avoid area, Navigator routes correctly.

David
warrenb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exit is between Junction 5 and 6. The problem was, I drove past and it re-routed and told me to turn round at te next junction, I drove back up the M25 and it told me to turn off at the Works Exit the other side. Will know in future to put avoidance on this point.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've confirmed the error - it's at 0 degrees 06'05" E, 51 degrees 16'56" N (others can get there using the Go to co-ordinates menu option on the Tools menu).

Putting a small avoid area over the road that connects with the motorway on each side solves the problem, though make sure you try a couple of routes along that part of the M25 and to and from the minor road (Hogtrough Hill) and the M25 to verify that you've not obstructed the motorway itself.

is where I suggest you place the avoid areas - note also my test route on screen (from the M25 to Hogtrough Hill).

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but... how did you capture the screen shot above?
Very handy for showing map errors etc...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icsys,

I don't know what was used above, but I use Magic SS, which you can get from here. It is freeware and takes instant snapshots. I've assigned a hardware button on my iPAQ 5555 to get my screenshots. It's one of my most-used programmes.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular screenshot was captured using SOTI's excellent Pocket Controller - Professional 4.08.

PNG is almost certainly the best format for a Pocket PC screen capture - that PNG is about 6KBytes, and a horribly dithered JPEG is more like 60KBytes. Unfortunately Pocket Controller - Professional doesn't yet support PNG directly - so I captured the screen to my PC's clipboard, pasted into Corel Photo-Paint, and then saved the .PNG file from Photo-Paint. After uploading it to some web space via SSH, I used the IMG tag to link it into my post.

I have asked SOTI to consider adding a facility to save screen captures as PNG in a later version - they've replied today saying that they intend to add this to a future version. They seem pretty responsive to bug reports (4.08 finally solves a bug to do with clipboard synchronisation and 'top bit set' characters), though their upgrade policies aren't especially generous (you get six months of updates included with your purchase, and twelve months of technical support - if you want updates that aren't included in that, you simply get a 20% discount).

I make quite a lot of use of Pocket Controller - Professional anyway. As I have wireless LAN hardware on my Pocket PC, I tend to leave it switched on, connected to the charger with the backlight off - then I can have the Pocket PC in the corner of my desktop in a Pocket Controller window any time I'm at my main workstation.

If SOTI manage to add the facility to redirect sound (and capture it when you capture the video), it will make a good program even better - they say they're going to try this for a future release. Tutorial videos will be easy to create with that combination.

Does anyone know of a screen capture utility that produces PNG files on the Pocket PC? Resco's Screen Capture produces JPEGs, as does everything else I tried.

As you say, a screen capture clearly is the best way to show things like map errors - especially when trying to describe the placing of avoid areas to avoid such errors.

David
gg2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same routing problem when going from Biggin Hill to Hastings via the A21. TT3 tried to route me onto the M25 between J5 and J6 via the works entrance. It seems to me your excellent screen shots are an idea way of drawing the problem to the attention of TomTom as the reporting form is a little cumbersome. Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: