Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom fuel prices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom fuel prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom fuel prices Reply with quote

My GO 740 LIVE tells me that the cheapest super unleaded petrol near to me is 96p, at the local BP station, and that prices may be up to 5 days old.

Funny that - the local BP station has been closed for the past 6 weeks for rebuilding.

It also tells me that the cheapest in the area is at Jet, Unbranded or Proteus. But none of these sells super unleaded, so WOE is it talking about?

AFAIK, the only super petrol is Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate or the Texaco one (rarely available).

This seems to be another useless option.

It's a funny old world.

Philip
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This seems to be another useless option.

Yes. Whilst it apparently works really well in the US on the MSN Network - their data is accurate to that day IIRC - it's pointless in the UK. I might use it as a guide when in strange parts but normally i ignore it...

I did ask TT how they justify charging for Fuel Prices over here but they never answered..... Confused
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment, Paul.

Last week, the closed BP petrol station was apparently selling super at 86p. It has gone up by 10p over the weekend.

I paid £1.02 last week for V-Power.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Texaco, of course, but Total Excellium - not even sold in the Total M25/M26 service station.
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yquem59 wrote:
Not Texaco, of course, but Total Excellium - not even sold in the Total M25/M26 service station.

Do you mean Clacket Lane servcies?
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what it's called? On the M25 just before/after the junction with the M26.

It is several months ago now, but I was very surprised to find that a service station that big didn't sell Excellium (diesel).

The way you were asking suggests to me that something might have changed ! Am I right?

Super unleaded in the closed BP garage at Hampton Court (closed for over 2 months now for rebuilding) is 96p today, according to TomTom. (Prices may be up to 5 days out of date.)

BW

Philip
chris_glos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom LIVE fuel prices feature Reply with quote

Hi,

I raised this problem with TomTom support who told me that prices only get updated when you connect the SatNav to your computer and use TomTom Home. Not my definition of a 'LIVE' service.

After doing this the prices seemed closer to the real ones although some garage chains still had prices that we've not seen for several months.

It's much better (and free) to use the PetrolPrices.com website although not so easy if away from home.

The traffic information feature is good and appears to work well but if that lets me down I won't be taking up a LIVE subscription once my free trial ends. The price for the LIVE service is far too high given that you can buy a low end sat nav for the cost of the annual subscription.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom LIVE fuel prices feature Reply with quote

chris_glos wrote:
Hi,

I raised this problem with TomTom support who told me that prices only get updated when you connect the SatNav to your computer and use TomTom Home. Not my definition of a 'LIVE' service.

I find that hard to believe...

If you go to "Change fuel type". It says "One moment please connecting to server" and definitely SEEMS to download different figures.

If you suspect your prices are not up to date, just do that and then re-set them back to your normal choice and see if the prices change from what they were originally.

I would be interested to see the results, as I just did it but forgot to remember the first set of figures! Rolling Eyes
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home has an update function for petrol prices and, when you ask TomTom for prices, it needs a view of its satellites. Go figure ...

I updated on line this morning and, lo and behold, the cheapest local price is 96p at the BP station that has been closed for 3 months. It reopened yesterday pm (beautiful new concrete paving and an M&S Food that will cost me a fortune as I go past it every day, I suspect) and I bought Ultimate unleaded at 107.9 p this morning.

And they still suggest that Sainsbury's (£1.05) and Texaco (£1.08) are alternatives.

And TomTom want £8 per month for this service?

*%¤} !!

Philip
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TomTom Home has an update function for petrol prices and, when you ask TomTom for prices, it needs a view of its satellites. Go figure ...

Probably because it uses your location to determine which fuel stations to display.

Quote:
And TomTom want £8 per month for this service?

Well, not quite. There are the other services. I like the Google Search and HD Traffic is good. However the weather service and the fuel prices i haven't bothered with since a few days after i realised they were poor..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: