Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 7210 / 8110 Software upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

7210 / 8110 Software upgrades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: 7210 / 8110 Software upgrades Reply with quote

Don't get too excited but the 7210 software upgrade is now available to purchase in the Store.

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/maps_services/products/14

Not checked the UK store yet.

The 8110 is due to follow very soon.

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/maps_services/software_upgrades

What I love about the site structure of Navigon is if you find the German pages you can normally guess at what the English version will be before it goes live Smile

I hope it's just a mistake but for the 8110 I see no mention of the Spoken TMC information, also it's worth noting you may need to purchase a bigger SD card as the 7210 upgrade clearly states you need a 4Gb card as the upgrade alone is 2.5Gb
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things just noted about new upgrade, to follow up after a sleep:

- 8110 software upgrade info on UK site, but no 'buy now' tab - imminent!

- software pricing for all products on UK site - £69.99; on Euro sites €69.95. Have queried this with Navigon, other products take acccount of exchange rate - big difference; maybe buy on German/International site if they don't budge?

- site page shows a (discount) Vouchers option, quick google didn't throw anything up immediately - anyone else any info?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
A few things just noted about new upgrade, to follow up after a sleep:

- 8110 software upgrade info on UK site, but no 'buy now' tab - imminent!

- software pricing for all products on UK site - £69.99; on Euro sites €69.95. Have queried this with Navigon, other products take acccount of exchange rate - big difference; maybe buy on German/International site if they don't budge?

- site page shows a (discount) Vouchers option, quick google didn't throw anything up immediately - anyone else any info?

I did notice the price and checked on xe.net currancy converter and noticed it was about 5 or 6 pounds cheaper in Euros. However be careful with that as credit card companies are really getting bad with hidden charges and you could actually loose out and end up paying more in transaction fees (have found that out the hard way in the past).

The German forums are very active (Bablefish translater is handy) and it seems that the 8110 upgrade maybe available Friday. I somehow doubt it though as Navigon did say in the press release the 8110 software would come in June (following the 7210 upgrade in May).

What bugged me is the upgrades for all the othr devices show a release date where as the 7210 and 8110 didn't have dates which made you think the 8110 software would be available the same day as the 7210 software.
If the software is available tommorow, Navigon have generally been updating the sites mid morning / lunchtime. (if so good excuse to finish work early) 2Gb download could take a while.

As for vouchers it's a case of searching Google in German.
I did find this code, but not convinced that it works

http://www.coupons4u.de/?part=show_details&id=1025 Confused
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date of release confirmed as 4th June.
Shame we have to wait till next Thursday Sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

I did notice the price and checked on xe.net currancy converter and noticed it was about 5 or 6 pounds cheaper in Euros. However be careful with that as credit card companies are really getting bad with hidden charges and you could actually loose out and end up paying more in transaction fees (have found that out the hard way in the past).

Having said that the rate seems to have changed again and it's now £61. However there's always the risk that the rate changes again. I know sometimes the rate is calculated on the date of posting the transaction to the account and NOT the date you make the purchase.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok re currency loading charges as I don't get them with the cards I use, so could buy off the other sites if necessary (assuming a UK order is allowed). And the pricing differences on other products on Navigon's sites are significant, eg

- Premium TMC @ €49.95 v £40

- Most European maps listed @ €99 v £79

So with a Euro tag of €69.95 for the Upgrade I would expect the sterling price to be more like £50-60.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning, from what I can tell from the german forums PoiWarner may not function with the new softwares at the moment.
Hard to tell if it's just a case of reinstalling or if Navigating.de need to alter the software.

Once I get my 8310 software I'll let people know. Interesting side note the manual for the 8310 refers to the 83xx so makes me think that newer models maybe coming or it may just refer to the different model numbers for the USA.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a loss to me at the moment - I've just upgraded POI-Warner from 3.24 to 3.32 and it seemed to stop working anyway. Obviously I don't know yet whether it's me (probably) or navigating.de (have asked them). I nust say, apart from the weakness of their manual, the software has also seemed quite fragile at times.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Not much of a loss to me at the moment - I've just upgraded POI-Warner from 3.24 to 3.32 and it seemed to stop working anyway. Obviously I don't know yet whether it's me (probably) or navigating.de (have asked them). I nust say, apart from the weakness of their manual, the software has also seemed quite fragile at times.

Have you tried the reset button on the gps itself?

Can't quite remember now, but have you tried the 'updateme.exe' trick. I remember when the 8110 software was updated last it stopped PoiWarner running but copying a file over seemed to get it running again. Can't remember so maybe best to look at some old threads.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post jonandmarkuk. I think those points are ok - I should have said "doesnt work properly": it appears to go through the loading sequence ok ending up with the POI overlays for all my POIs listed - the problem is that all the lists are completely blank as if the input data has been lost - no monitoring takes place (unsurprisingly Confused ).

It wasn't the Navigon software I had updated btw, it was the navigating.de POI-W software - are you running the latest version (3.32)? If so, then I guess the problem sits with me Embarassed ; otherwise I hope N.de can offer some help - it does seem similar to some of the problems described by others recently.

Incidentally, with regard to the € v £ issue, I have had this reply from Navigon:
Quote:
You are absolutely rigth, we are going to give your feedback on to the right department.
so I am expecting a price reduction.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, if you wish to have all the Europe maps on the 8110 you will need a 4GB card.

Click Here

Navigon are offering a discount, but talks about a voucher from the box so must be newer purchases? However Argos at the moment have a 4Gb Sandisk SDHC card for £12.50 Smile Card works fine in the GPS.

Best way to transfer is to hook up the Navigon, take a backup. Unplug everything and turn the GPS off, pop new card in, reconnect and then click restore (don't attempt any other functions as it won't work).
Everything (including PoiWarner) will be restored to the new card.

Admin Edit: Mega Long URL Truncated. PaulB2005
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

Looks like Navigon have let down 8110 users yet again.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=reply&t=76894

Page has been updated to say 'Coming Soon' not a good sign when the software upgrade was due today and all other devices have the software. What surprises me is the 8310 is available to buy so why the delay on making the upgrade available? Rolling Eyes

I did notice Wednesday that all the links to the 8310 manuals were broken. Just hope it's not going to become vapourware. Crying or Very sad

Navigon do seem to treat Navigon 8110 customers worse than people who buy the cheaper devices. Even the very budget devices had the software upgrade available earlier than the scheduled release date.

Maybe I'm being too eager to check now, but I'm concerned.
nyquist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Navigon Software Upgrade ... Reply with quote

Like all of you I am eagerly waiting for the 8110 to 8310 upgrade. However, I can not stop thinking that, having paid a premium price for 8110 why should we pay extra £69.95 ?? (Hopefully £ equivalent of 69.95 euros once they fix it). I understand that this is an upgrade not an update but still feel hard done by this.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the 8110 is shown as available there is no 'Buy Now' sticker yet. I suspect there has been a delay there and they want to synchronise the 8110 upgrade with it. I wonder if they have pulled the manuals because they have to do some re-write.

So I am fairly relaxed at the moment, especially as it gives a bit of time for (a) them to sort the pricing out; (b) [hopefully] POI-Warner to resolve whatever the problem is that jonandmarcuk referred to.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell there was a last minute problem and quality control refused to allow the update to be published.

I just hope it's released in time for my next trip. Sad

The actual 8310's are shipping, thread on german forum

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.pocketnavigation.de%2Ftid1136264-sid.htm&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

I can only assume the reason for the delay is in the upgrade process.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: