Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Managing POIs and POI categories?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Managing POIs and POI categories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Managing POIs and POI categories? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my head around the Active10's POI menus. Ive worked out how to create POIs and how to rename them. I've worked out how to create new POI categories, but I cannot find how to move or copy a POI to a category once created.

Although not immediately obvious, I found the way to create a POI in a category, but there seems to be no way of managing them once created. Is it possible?

Many thanks for your time.

Nathan.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody?

It just seems a strange omission, having categories or groups for POIs, but not being able to move or copy the blighters between them...

Nathan
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nathan.

How you doin'? (REAPER forums Very Happy )

I came here to ask the same question, although I haven't even figured out how to create a POI in a specific category yet, so you're ahead of me there!

So, +1 for Nathan's question.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
/d
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungbeetle wrote:
Hi Nathan.

How you doin'? (REAPER forums Very Happy )

I came here to ask the same question, although I haven't even figured out how to create a POI in a specific category yet, so you're ahead of me there!
/d

Hello Dungbeetle, is this telling interest-demographics for people who use DAWs? Smile

When you create your first POI, the Active10 creates a Category or Group called "My POIs". Copy this and you have a second group; rename it to something useful.

To add to that Group, select it, press edit and then "Add New POI by Map" (or by Grid Ref). If you "Create New POI" from the top menu it arbitarily chooses a Group for you or uses the last selected one (I think -not worked it out yet).

This seems a bit convoluted; there isn't a way of creating new Categories without copying an existing one (including contents) and renaming, and there doesn't appear to be a method of moving POIs once created -you have to recreate them using Grid Refs in your new Category...

I'm going to ask Satmap about this.

Whereabouts are you, Dungbeetle?

dungbeetle wrote:

So, +1 for Nathan's question.

/d

Heh, viva REAPERspeak..!
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:

When you create your first POI, the Active10 creates a Category or Group called "My POIs". Copy this and you have a second group; rename it to something useful.

To add to that Group, select it, press edit and then "Add New POI by Map" (or by Grid Ref). If you "Create New POI" from the top menu it arbitarily chooses a Group for you or uses the last selected one (I think -not worked it out yet).

Ah, thanks for that.

Nothing more frustrating than inadvertently creating a POI in the wrong category, only to find that you can't move it!

planetnine wrote:
This seems a bit convoluted; there isn't a way of creating new Categories without copying an existing one (including contents) and renaming, and there doesn't appear to be a method of moving POIs once created -you have to recreate them using Grid Refs in your new Category...

Yeah. Could really do with 'New Category' and 'Move POI' functions. Managing lots of POI's isn't easy at the moment.

planetnine wrote:
I'm going to ask Satmap about this.

Yes, it's worth a shot. I've emailed them in the past and got a reply.

Also might be worth a look in the wishlist thread. You never know, might be something in there we could "+1" Very Happy

Do you know if Satmap have their own forums anywhere? Their site doesn't seem to have a link to any.

planetnine wrote:
Whereabouts are you, Dungbeetle?

Down in Kent.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New user, also confused about POIs! On my first trip out, I entered a POI (a local trig point). Subsequently I've created some new POI's whilst deskbound, and they by default all now go to a folder (My POIs) but the first POI didn't. Why is is this and can it be changed? Can I take the POIs out of the folder to save having to drill down? I didn't even realise it was a folder to start with as the symbols are the same - a different symbol for a folder would be good. Being able to alphabetise POIs would be even better.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Uploading POIs into the A10 Reply with quote

I've tried to amalgamate three categoroies of POIs by downloading them to my destop, opening the three files into Memory Map, exporting the whole lot from MM as a .gpx file and then uploading that single file into the A10. I've tried "Importing" it and "Copy to Active 10" both as .map and as .gpx files. I've also tried "Convert to .MAP"

The imported file shows in SatSYNC as present in either the Internal or SD card pane according to where I put it but on all occasions when I disconnect the A10 and power it off and on again nothing shows in either the POI Categories page or the Route list.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I read on another thread, immediately after I got into this mess, that the latest v1.4 software update appears to address the long overdue POI management shortcomings - in the meantime I've managed to lose all my POIs!
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Managing POIs and POI categories? Reply with quote

I have not tried to create a file of POIs in the way described by PloddingPedro but I have created several gpx files containing POIs manually and successfully imported them into the A10.

I have always ended up with an unnamed POI category for each such file imported. Various attempts to put a file name in the gpx file that the A10 would use to name the POI category have, so far, failed
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the highly likely red herring, but is it possible that there is a POI category naming option in Route Planning before you export the file that may not have been completed - hence an untitled file?????
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I rang Satmap and discussed my POI file issue. There's nothing wrong with my method apparently. They asked me to send in the My POI.map file, which I did. A hour or so later it was mailed back and I was able to drag'n'drop it directly into the Internal pane in SatSYNC. This showed as normal in the A10 upon a reboot so I have all my POIs back and in one file as required.

They haven't elaborated much on what might have gone wrong but this is good service to get me out of a hole.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: