Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom One IQ
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom One IQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazza1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: New TomTom One IQ Reply with quote

Well I have just got my hands on a new TomTom One IQ Routes Western & Central Europe. So far I am not over impressed. I have found that the map jerks slightly while driving (moves in small steps). I was previously using TomTom 6 with an old Medion PDA and this always moved smoothly. I done all the normal things like not showing POIs etc but this did not improve it. The satnav came with the 3 month trial of speed cameras & petrol prices. I connected to TomTom Home to ensure that everthing was up to date. While travelling to work, a speed camera that has been there for at least a year did not show up. Other than that on the plus side it gets a fix very quickly even indoors.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own Wink I must admit that having had this device for a short while, I was very impressed with it. For its size, I think that it is very clear and does what it says on the box. It navigates. And it usually chooses the best route.
I have removed the installed safety cams and installed those from this site. There is always the possibility that a camera will be missing and that is the time to submit it and perhaps get free membership (have a look at the terms) - having been around here for some time, from personal experience, I know that this is one of the best around for camera POIs.
I agree that the routing is visually not as smooth (I don't mean jerky as I have not seen that) as I have been used to on another device but I have got used to it - anyway, I'm usually watching the road and listen to the instructions.

Oh! And welcome to the Forum. Welcome
Graham
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New TomTom One IQ Reply with quote

gazza1954 wrote:
I have found that the map jerks slightly while driving (moves in small steps). I was previously using TomTom 6 with an old Medion PDA and this always moved smoothly. I done all the normal things like not showing POIs etc but this did not improve it.

Sounds very familiar to all us x20 users who went through 8.300, 8.301 and 8.302. It is still not as smooth as it used to be!
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that TT will sort the jerky issue in a future navcore release? Is it much different to the TT1 2008 (130) in jerkynes (if thats a word)?
Tim Very Happy
gazza1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: New TomTom IQ Routes Reply with quote

Well after using it for a few more days I must say that I am now very happy with the TomTom IQ Routes. I have now got use to the slightly jerky movement. There is a road on my way to work that always showed a no right turn with my old TomTom when in fact you can turn right. I have managed to correct this using the map error correction on the TomTom IQ Route. I really like the advanced lane images when leaving or changing Motorways. I am still a bit dubious about some of the IQ routing. The route shown for my morning run from Sutton to Heathrow is several miles longer than the route I normally take and would route me through stretches of particulary congested roads.
fiftysix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafrost wrote:
Do you think that TT will sort the jerky issue in a future navcore release? Is it much different to the TT1 2008 (130) in jerkynes (if thats a word)?
Tim Very Happy

Is it the software or the GPS receiver itself (its refresh rate)?

I´ve read somewhere that receivers working with 5 Hz - that is 5x per second obtaining the exact position - give "smoother" movement than others with 1 Hz (1x per second).
Btw lately I´ve this problem with my TT One New Second Ed., the most surprising with the same map and same SD card sometimes the movement is jerky and on later occasion smoother!
Any ideas?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning fiftysix and Welcome to the forum Wink

Quote:
.............the most surprising with the same map and same SD card sometimes the movement is jerky and on later occasion smoother!

I too have experienced this. I've no idea why this should be but I experienced it on Friday on a shortish trip across Essex. When I started out there was definitely some jerkyness but by the time I got to my destination it ran really smoothly. Perhaps its a brain thing - mine not the device.
fiftysix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dedicated some time just to see how is this possible and yes, my 13yr son confirmed it on every occasion. Besides, the difference I (we) see is considerable.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom units use a 1Hz receiver, so you only get one true position update per second, if your screen has a refresh higher than this (which it should have) then the unit is guessing where the car is based upon it knowing the route, position of the road and speed/ heading data.

A 5Hz receiver in a basic navigation device would be akin to feeding a pig strawberries, a total waste of time, it wouldn't offer any benefit, where the higher speed receivers are useful is for accurate recording of position such as race cars/ motor bikes on proper race tracks.

Whilst I have seen car owners data logging on a race course using their TomTom it is far from ideal, consider the following:

At 100MPH a 1Hz receiver travels 146 feet between updates
At 100MPH a 5Hz receiver travels 29 feet between updates
At 100MPH a 10 Hz receiver travels 15 feet between updates
At 100MPH a 20Hz receiver travels 7,5 feet between updates

The big downside to the 20Hz kit is price and you need something like a laptop in car to record the data from it, typically these devices will cost in excess of £1500 - Mike
fiftysix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., you are right. But what surprises me is that the jerkyness appears from time to time and I am not sure if this happens because of the software (e.g. NavCore 7 with v7 maps or Navcore 8 with v8 maps) or the device itself - TT One New SE. Anyway I will explore it further...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the jerkiness is nothing to do with GPS but almost entirely down to software "improvements".

My go 300 never jerked at all, and my 720 never used to annoy me with jerkiness, until after many software updates.
They are obviously right 'up against the wire' with lack of processor power and every new fix they put in for something in the software is liable to pop out somewhere else as another problem.
It's the same with stuttering audio, pausing on speech, repeating words on hands-free calls and general re-boots and lockups, which are becoming a normal experience for many of us.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: