Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatSync V1.2 & Geocaching
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatSync V1.2 & Geocaching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: SatSync V1.2 & Geocaching Reply with quote

Downloaded and installed the new satsync last night without any problems. I have also managed to load in a pocket query and I think the formatting and layout is very clear but I'd have liked to have seen the cache owner in displayed at the start.

On every cache the hints are converted to "Warning 1" anyone else seeing this.

Also, it doesn't handle repeated characters well, so if you get a description with a row of repeated characters it will push text off to the right side of the page and then you won't be able to read it.
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it straightforward? I cant seem to manage to get pocket queries loaded. Have managed single caches but they dont display all the info.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyboy2241 wrote:
Was it straightforward? I cant seem to manage to get pocket queries loaded. Have managed single caches but they dont display all the info.

Yes, very straight forward, are you using import button in sat sync or straight to card. If going straight to card you need to use the convert to .MAP in sat sync first.

was the pocket query with .LOC files or .GPX files?

If .LOC files then there is no info contained in the file other than the name ane waypoint. you must use .GPX. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs.
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I used the gpx exchange file button on the cachepage, saved on to computer, open satsync with a10 connected and it show up the files on the card and internal, then i used the import button and saved it to internal. it shows on the a10 but doesnt show all the info like hints and logs. As for the pocket query I unzipped the files and used the satsync in a similar way to above, it says its loading the 500 files and shows on the satsync screen, but when I disconnect and turn off and on as advised there is nothing showing on the A10. Bloody gizmos doing my head in!!
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked you are on the latest version of the satmap firmware v1.323. go into settings / about.

I have sent you a PM with my email address - send me your pocket query and I'll try it on mine. what PC operating system are you on XP or Vista?

Single gpx files never used to load onto Satmap in the last version but this may have been fixed - i'll have to check.

Is any information showing?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SatSync V1.2 & Geocaching Reply with quote

Quote:

On every cache the hints are converted to "Warning 1" anyone else seeing this.

OK, I've just spotted what they have done as you scroll down the page you get the following

HINTS Warning 1

then a big space

HINTS Final Warning

then another big space

HINTS :
What ever the hint is.

Very neat - like it.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately though satmap have chosen only to show the long description not the short description. so important information could be missed. Why did they choose to miss this out? Confused
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyboy2241 wrote:

After looking at the pocket query.

It's simply a case of having too many caches for Satmap to cope with.

From previous experience I know that any converted file over 1mb when it is in the .MAP format is too large for satmap to handle. it's as simple as that. When we reduced the number of caches down it worked fine.

as rough rule of thumb, satsync will halve the size of a gpx file when converted to .MAP so as long as your pocket query is below 2mb it should convert and load ok.

With regards to single caches, I've never been able to get satmap to work properly with them and it may appear there is no difference with this upgrade.
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo 10, You're the man!!!
dakarman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just thought i could help a bit here. I have been in touch with satmap regarding files that are not seen by the device and it relates to the file size. Apparently the device does not like map files with geocaches in above 1024kb. This equates to something a little over 350 caches when you download a gpx and then convert it.

They have now added the ability to delete files larger than this so the issues with not being able to delete larger files has now been sorted in the latest version.
SuebyDoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: POI Icons Reply with quote

Does this mean that the POI icons also now reflect the type of cache e.g. Traditional, Multi, Mystery or do the maps still display the default blue poi icon?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still default to blue, I am going make that as a suggestion to Satmap but I suspect that this would need an upgrade to the firmware rather than satsync. I think that it would be good to keep the samp crossed circle but have different colours of them such as blue for Puzzle, yellow multi, green traditional then something like Red for parking and black for other additional waypoints. We could ask for cache icons but my worry is that they would become intrusive on the screen covering mapping detail.
dakarman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
This also came out in the conversations with satmap. They are planning a big POI overhaul in a future firmware upgrade and the idea of colours for the icons depending on cache type is under consideration. Not sure when the update with this upgrade in will be.
dakarman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a a quick note, I don't work for satmap, only bought one last month but they have been very good at sorting out issues and accepting suggestions for future upgrades.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakarman wrote:
Hi
Just thought i could help a bit here. I have been in touch with satmap regarding files that are not seen by the device and it relates to the file size. Apparently the device does not like map files with geocaches in above 1024kb. This equates to something a little over 350 caches when you download a gpx and then convert it.

The number of caches varies considerably depending on the amount of detail in them.

I tried 400 around my local area - something I use regularly with my Colorado 300. This is a 2Mb GPX file - Satsync locked up trying to handle this.

I had to reduce the number to 150 to get it down to 1Mb - which was readily loaded up by Satsync. It may have taken more - but I reduced the number by 50 each time just to see when it would work.

I hope that they will get around to increasing the limit. With retirement imminent I need to get out and do something Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: