Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia 5800 do I want one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia 5800 do I want one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Nokia 5800 do I want one Reply with quote

Hi chaps, I have an itch for a new phone, pretty happy with my HTC p3300 but fancy a change, I'm on Virgin and have some credit so I could probably get the Nokia for a reasonable price, I'm not interested in the music features but a little camera will be OK and I'd want satnav (but Nokia's maps look expensive annually) I'd like email and web ... should I pursue this or look at another phone ? Thanks to anyone taking the time (regulars will recall I post a question like this every few months and end up sticking with my Artemis) !
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia 5800 works well with satnav. ie.. garmin and sygic

but the camera on the handset is not very good at all for the specs of the camera

but besides the the camera the handset is a good phone

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good phone, poor camera especially in low light. GPS works well when it has a fix but can take a long time to lock on initially if not using Assisted-GPS.

Nokia maps are ok unless you want guided navigation, this costs a riduculous £60/year (you can but a dedicated satnav for little more than that).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good old Artemis is still a credible device and switching to Symbian might limit what you can do with the device, bear in mind any applications you have grown used to on the Arte won't work on the 5K8

If you like PPC based devices try and stick with them, I made the mistake of switching to Apples iFone (intentional miss spelling) - Whilst its a great phone there is so much that I miss when compared to a PPC based device, I would look at the HTC Touch HD as an upgrade path if the PPC versitilty is what you need as that was the device I wanted before O2 made me an offer that saved quite a bit in cash terms if I accepted the iFone. (I still call that day Black Saturday and it wouldn't have occured had I not been sent in town by SWMBO for a birthday card of all things!)

I still use my P3300 and Touch Cruise as well as the Athena as they all have their individual appeal depending upon what I am doing, I have come to the conclusion the ultimate device that would satisfy me simply doesn't exist! That said the Artemis was and still is a cracking little device, short on horsepower, but this can be overcome through careful use.

Consider what you really need and use on the Arte and see if these apps are available for the 5K8 as this might be an issue/ additional cost you need to consider.

And if you are not using the Arte/ P3300 for internet and e-mail why not? - Mike
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as ever chaps, really helps in the ongoing decision process ,,,, I think you're right Mike, the Artemis is pretty good ... Roger
Cakkalawdy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have had the 5800 since Jan and very pleased with atm. I use it for email, browsing and has an iPlayer app which will only work on a network which is understandable but still a very nice addition.

I have installed Gamin XT but it's very unstable and Nokia maps is very expensive for what it is.

I have just discovered the delights of Navmii which works very well and only £45.99 for 1 years free updates which they are constantly improving. Their support is second to none and will contact you via email like you are on messenger it was that quick today. They are open to suggestions and if you look on the forum you will see what they have taken on board from users. They use Telatlas maps and 99% of the time I have found it to be accurate. Comes with free camera and poi database. Check it out as they have dedicated version for Symbian 60 and in particular the Nokai 5800.
If you email them they will even give you a 7 day free trail key.

Regards
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5800 and find the SatNav performance to be very disapointing!I have tried Sygic and Garmin XT with the internal Gps and rarley get a fix of more than 5 sats, the position of the pointer lags the position on the road by up to 50 meters,the error is reduced but not correct by using my BT mouse which gets a fix of between 7 and 11 sats . Sygic is nice to use but recalculation can be slow and unreliable,Xt locks up quite a bit.I have the latest firmware on the 5800 and used the latest versions of the software for touch screens, so unless Nokia or who ever is responsable for the interaction between the Gps and software sort the problem out out I could not recommend it for reliable SatNav.

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: