Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM defector - quick question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM defector - quick question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wacjac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: TOMTOM defector - quick question? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Having owned three TomTom GPS units since they first came out, I feel it's time to change brand loyalty - driven by the dismally low brightness of their offerings and their customer service and map update rip-off charges!!

I'm considering the Garmin Nuvi 255W, but just before I make my final decision, can anyone answer these points..?

1) I was on a coach trip recently and a guy in front of me had what I *think* was a Garmin unit - what I did notice was that there was a sort of flip-out rectangular aerial which had to be opened up from the back to get a signal - rather clumsy I thought when you consider every other GPS I've seen have them internally? Is this the case with the 255W?

2) Here's the real sticking point for me - I think I've read this elsewhere before, but need absolute clarification... on the Garmin, does the main (mapping/route) screen show the remaining distance - or can it be personalised to do so? I'm sure that to see this information you have to go into other screens. This is a real deal-breaker for me.

3) Are they built quite robustly like the TOMTOMs ??

Many thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the other way!

1/ There was a flip out aerial on my nuvi 660. It's no big deal - as you have it on it's mount for most of the time. However the 25x series don't have this arrangement I believe.

2/ I suspect that this may be the deal breaker for you then. GARMIN try to keep the navigation screen uncluttered - so most of this sort of information is on a second screen- easily got to with a single touch. You may be able to configure the main screen to show Dist to Go - go in one of the boxes. Have a play with one in your nearest Halfords to try it out.

Coming back to a TT device (now a 720 and I had TT Navigator from it's earliest inception up to TTN6) I had forgotten how much screen they used up displaying generally irrelevant info - by that I mean info that you only need to look at a couple of times in any journey. At least you can get rid of quite a bit of it.

3/ IMHO - they are built much better than TT devices - very solid feel. However these sort of devices are not meant for rough handling/harsh environments (e.g. outside in the pouring rain). Dropping any device like these onto a hard surface is asking for trouble. They are designed to work in a vehicle, plugged into power, locked into their cradle. That they (most of the nuvis) do work outside (and the GARMIN units tend to have an "off-road" setting to allow for this) is a bonus.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2x5 nuvi's use the 'new' screen layout - i THINK it may show different stuff on there? i know it certainly always shows the current speed?

anyone post some screen shots?!

MaFt
wacjac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - very informative replies.

It strikes me as crazy that they should out a current speed box on the front screen on these things, when a speedometer is no more than a foot away!!

I think I'll take a look in Halfords as suggested.

What are the prices of map updates like? Also - do they have a mapshare-correction/fix facility like TomTom?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7x5 nuvi can be toggled to show Arrival Time, Distance to Destination, Remaining Drive Time, Direction of Travel, Elevation, or Time of Day on the left data field (default is time of arrival). The same data field on the 2x5's cannot be customized. Tapping that field on the 2x5 will give you a list of turns, time to each and a total travel time, but certainly much more info can be customized/displayed, and much easier, on the 7x5's.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the confirmation gatorguy6996!

wacjac: remember that the 2xx ranges are the entry level devices so are the equivalent of a tomtom one. while they may be ok for basic users there will be certain things that you need a higher model in order to get those features!

MaFt
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the prices of map updates like? Also - do they have a mapshare-correction/fix facility like TomTom?

£59.99 one off update or £99.99 for life...

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/lang/en/numaps

No Mapshare or equivalent I'm afraid.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmation. My 255WT does not have a fold out aerial - it's internal. (There is also a string aerial for the traffic info, which I can plug in if I want to receive this).

The Remaining Distance is one tap away (on the Speed box).

Dales.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 255 is the 250 upgrade and a great little device but also wait until early next month and you can get the 1200 and 1300 if you walk alot as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: