Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TeleType Just Released their latest version (062004)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TeleType Just Released their latest version (062004)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: TeleType Just Released their latest version (062004) Reply with quote

TeleType Just Released their latest version (062004) I’m downloading it now off their download site! So far so good. Here is a list of changes. New maps, new program, new 12 million POI listing.
Getting with the program new 3D view!

The New 062004 Upgrade is actually a FULL VERSION!!!

Before installing version 062004,
you need to complete uninstall any earlier versions of the software that you may have. In details, you need to:

(1) Uninstall the TeleType GPS Software Version on your Desktop/Laptop and on your Pocket PC.

(2) Uninstall all the Maps on the Desktop/Laptop and also on the Pocket PC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(New features for v062004)

~ Comprehensive Yellow Pages from the highly acclaimed InfoUSA and TeleAtlas; up-to-date, new design, easy-to-read,
now integrated with former POIs; cover over 3 million basic points of interest, including restaurants, hospitals, banks/ATMs, and gas stations.

~ Variable radius for the finding of Yellow Pages so that you can see only the points that are within your desired range.

~ Brand new 3D Bird View for an ultra-realistic view with an enhanced full-screen style view that includes a skyview.
It is perfect to see where you are and where it is you are going!

~ A faster address search engine, already in use in North America, has now been implemented for Europe and Australia.

~ The simulator can now be paused and resumed during stimulation, allowing you to pause and explore an area, before resuming a simulation.

~ New "lock to route" feature allows you to lock the GPS signal to stay on your route specifically!

~ Night vision is now available in an automatic mode, based on your local time. When it is nighttime, night vision will turn on to accommodate you at the time of use of the software.

~ Improved search algorithm allows you to search for addresses in small neighborhoods or communities within larger cities.

~ The brand new Nextel PhoneTracker7,8 feature allows you to track someone wherever they may be, plot their position on our maps, and even generate a report of their activities.

~ New polygon format for all terrain maps, includes bolder, brighter colors, and has faster redraw.

~ Yellow Pages searching by phone number is now implemented within the Find menu.

~ Updated street maps and information for the United States.

~ Enhanced searching engine implementing the ability to use full state names, as well as post office abbreviations, to find street addresses.

~ Modified layout of the aviation panel and display.

~ The ability to add waypoints within the Route dialog box is now possible, by searching for the Waypoints within the Yellow Pages menu.

~ Aviation mode now allows multiple trip plans to be loaded, while you choose one at a time to plan from.

~ Aviation mode now offers support for Victor Airways, allowing faster flight planning, abbreviated entry of a long flight, editing of a revised clearance before takeoff or enroute.

~ National Flight Database (NFD) Departure, Arrival and Approach procedures are now graphically depicted on a moving map display,
showing waypoints, approach, and other indicators to be selected by the pilot.

~ The flight route time and distance can now be displayed at each fix.

~ VASI lights (red/white display) and computed glidescope altitude at the current distance from the runway threshold now shown on flight path when approaching any runway.

~ Improved in-flight aviation data display, human engineered for quick reference and precision.

~ Ability to use DTG (distance to go) display in street navigation.

~ Support for the Hitachi G1000 and the Dell Axim X3i.

~ Enhanced map viewing and display options.

~ An improved user interface allowing easy switch between pan and zoom functions, as well as quick zooming in and out!
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: New version. Email to Teletype. Reply with quote

After only 2 hours of using your newest version of your software I have
found lots of issues. I did a clean install on my Hp2215 using a hard
reset. I installed the latest 062004 version and maps.
No POI from yellow pages are showing up on the map. Poi were loaded from
the computer during the map transfer. It worked fine in the old version.
All options are checked to make POI show, but they don't. I have used TType for a long time and know how this function works, and it doesn't.
3D doesn't work in night mode.
In night mode all street names are unreadable. See screen shot 9.
After using the 3D mode, the car icon, which is unique to the 3D mode, is
transferred to the 2D mode.
Touching the "X" in the corner of the program to close a window often closes
the Teletype program. When you re-open the program to try again to close
the window, i.e. navigation panel, it will again close the program and not
the window.
I see you made the same mistake Tom-Tom did in their 3D mode, no street
names in 3D. Sure they appear at the 50ft! zoom level, but that is totally
useless for driving! At lease pocket Map Navigator got it correct. You continue to
be the only program on the market that scrolls the locator across the screen
instead of moving the map. This continues to be a poor design as when you
make a turn just before the edge of the map, it doesn't redraw to keep you
centered. You are now left driving on the edge of the map.
When the map does redraw it often redraws 2-3 times in a second or two before it says steady.
Using the auto zoom function is flakey. The auto zoom text across the
screen "The screen will refresh in X seconds" is annoying. It also doesn't
work properly. If the zoom is at, say 1.25 miles as set by the zoom
function, when the screen re-zooms it goes to 1 mile then immediately back
to 1.25 miles after 1 second. Now the screen is redrawing twice in a matter
of seconds.
Lock to route is exactly that, lock to route. You cannot lock to roads. If you don't have a route planned, this is a useless feature. Many people often drive without planned routes. This should have been lock to roads. However, it
functions fine when there is a route. Note that once you leave the pink route, you are not locked to roads, only the pink route. There is no work around to use this feature.
Avoid points is still just as poor as it ever was. When using avoid points,
it tries to navigate you back to that road at the absolute earliest point
possible. This then requires the user to make numerous avoid points to go
around anything. See screen shot 7.
Routing is very poor again. Look at the screen shots. I route from Lompoc
Ca to Fresno Ca. Using hw 41 is almost impossible. See screen shot 1, 2
and 3 of the same route. It gets off of 41 and makes a large "S" instead of
going straight through. It also goes off of highways to use surface roads
only a hundred feet away and parallels the highway it just got off!
No POI from yellow pages are showing up on the map. Poi were loaded from
the computer during the map transfer. It worked fine in the old version.
All options are checked to make POI show, but they don't. I have used TType
for awhile, I know how to make them show.
My screen now flickers or shudders in other programs when using a Bluetooth
connection with TType running in the background. It did not do this before.
Additionally the scroll bars are now locked in other programs while TType is
running in the background! If the slider bars are not locked in other
programs, it will pop back to its original position in milliseconds after
moving it. For example, if I go to the program menu with all my icons
showing and I want to scroll down the bottom to access my screen shot
program, I will use my stylus to slide the scroll bar down to the bottom of
the screen. The instant I remove the stylus from the screen the scroll bar
pops back to the top and I cannot move fast enough to access the program!
And there is more.
The Waypoint don't work. When you add WPs to the map and then re-route, it
doesn't use the WPs, see screen shot 4 and 6. Also, the way points appear
in the avoid points folder if the avoid folder is set to default. See
screen shots 5 and 8.
It looks like TeleType was in too much of a hurry to get the 3D mode out on
the market to keep up with Tom-Tom, Destinator, and many others.
Unfortunately, the program is still very poor, buggy, and didn't even get
the 3D mode right, no street names unless you zoom to 50ft, no night mode,
While navigating, there is no text to tell what street you are on or
approaching. Ever other program on the market does this in some manner.
Every time I use TType for just mapping or route planning without the GPS, I
have to wait for ever for the program to cycle through the Bluetooth console
to finish trying to find the receiver when its not there. This is very time
consuming.
When you select the menus (file, tools, route), you have to select the "x"
at the top of the screen to close the window. This is also poor since you
sometimes select the wrong option tools or file while looking for the
functions you need. Then you have to move across the screen to close the
window. You should be able to touch file, tools, or file again to close and
not have to move across the screen to close.
Hardware button mapping should include changing from 2D to 3D.
Every time without exception, when turning off the PDA with BT and TType running results in a soft reset to get it running again. With only BT running, the PDA will power back up instantly.
When using the 500 ft zoom level, the screen redraw when you reach the top, remember, the map doesn't move, only the icon where you are, it redraws you at the top 3/4 of the screen instead of the bottom. This makes the map redraw every few seconds since you are only placed 1/2 inch from the top of the map and causes many redraws and you don't know where you are going since you cant see but a few feet ahead on the road.
When you plan a route the starting zoom level is poor. It starts you at 125 ft. You have to immediately zoom out a couple times to see what's around you. This is better than before when you started 50 miles out and had to zoom in 15 times to see where you were.
It seems to let you go way off course before it reroutes you. See screen shot 10. There are settings where you can change the re-route distance, but anything under 1000ft give an error message and resets to default value of 1000ft. As you can see by shot number 10 I was able to go way off course and passed several turns which would have gotten me back on course if re-routing was better. Re-routing this way only seems practical on a highway with lots of distance between turns.

Over all, the program locks up at various times requiring resets and is very
buggy. I will probably never use this program and continue to use pocket
map navigator. I will post my finding on the two popular GPS forums for
others to comment, Pocket GPS World and GPS passion.

Things that were done right or better:

Menus are a little better and easier to access.
Better control over routing preferences, prefer highways, only highways,
shortest, quickest, no highways.
I'd like to say 3D mode, but its got issues.
Better use of the available screen.
User selectable POI range is better, but should include a larger range of
radius. Many times 20 miles isn't enough.
In 3D mode only a fraction of the top of the screen is blue sky. Kudos for
using the entire screen. Pocket map navigator only uses 1/2 the screen and
puts a nice sky, clouds, and moon, but forgot about functionality. The more
screen the better. We don't need pictures of sky, we need (labeled) roads.
Contrast between terrain and roads is improved, but could be a little
better.
The ability to disable one touch info setting.
Lock to route is better than nothing, I guess.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

http://www.linkline.com/personal/serpa4/
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like TType is actually taking my comments seriously. I had a short tech support chat today. Here were the comments. I believe some bata testing should have been done first, but at least they are working the bugs ASAP. I do have to say the program runs much better on the desk computer. I hope they have done beta testing on seveal popular PDAs before release, probably the entire HP line and other mass marketed ones.

** You are now speaking with Darryl, Customer Service. **
Lorne : hello
Darryl : Hi
Lorne : I'm using world navigator version 062004. POI/YP are not showing up
Darryl : One Moment Please
Darryl : Okay Sir
Lorne : yes
Darryl : We actually have a couple different servers and you are welcome to redownload the application from our website
Darryl : We are still investigating other issues and should have fixes in the next week
Lorne : No fix yet then? Also, I have several other (many) problems. Do you have a list or can I ask you about them and see if they are being addressed?
Lorne : Or, just wait
Darryl : We have the list and they are all being investigated as we speak
Lorne : May I see the list or is it private?
Darryl : We are addressing the issues that you expressed in your email sir
Darryl : Along with doing many other tests to try to find more bugs if they exist
Lorne : thanks. I had not heard anything back after sending it several days ago.
Lorne : I will continue to wait then thanks.
Darryl : My apologies, we are investigating it, we have taken your email very seriously and are working out the issues as we speak
Lorne : Excellent, thanks Darryl.
Darryl : On your download page there should be a version of the program that has the POI fix however
Darryl : the version listed should have that fix
Lorne : I will get it then. Thanks again.
Darryl : You're Welcome
Darryl : Thanks for your input
Lorne : Any time. There are so many other programs out there, and I have them, but think there are some things TType has that the others dont. For some reason I think TType has a lot of potential, just a lot of bugs.
Darryl : Thank you
Darryl : Like I said, we have taken your email very seriously and are working on it as we speak
Lorne : We'll chat later. Thank and have a good day.
Darryl : You as well
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they have updated the program as the newest file was created on 27 May 04. I will try it and let everyone know withing a week or so. I sure hope they addressed some of the problems.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing issues with the latest version of Teletype last update: 05/27/2004.
Tested on a HP 2215 and HP 4155 with a Fortuna Clip-on Blue tooth receiver.
If the comments look familiar, it's because you haven’t fixed any of the problems.
For give the incorrect text, this is just a cut and paste of what I sent them.
I'm so tired of this program.

Still: In night mode, bird’s eye view is still in day mode and the text is in night mode. You are left with a color screen and white text inside black boxes.
Still: Night mode, street names are still very poor and 30% are unreadable. At least it's not 100% now.
Still: Bird’s eye zoom level is limited to 500 ft. At 75 mph you are scrolling very fast. This is totally unusable.
Still: No street names in 3D mode except at the 50 ft zoom level, again totally useless bird’s eye mode.
When following a route, the pink line, text is often unreadable.
Still: Use of dark red text in night mode, which has a black background, makes it very unreadable.
Still: Routing is still very very poor.
Note: Yellow pages and POI are interchangeable in my comments.
Still: Yellow page POI are show on the web site at icons of pumps, banks, stores, knife and forks, etc, in the program they are ALL little red squares. False advertisement.
Still: No option to turn selected POI/YPs on or off. Since I have the 12 million yellow page listing, the screen is covered in red squares and yellow page text so now I cannot read street names and have to turn off the YP/POI function to read names! The POI are shown on the map with text describing what they are. As you can imagine, with 12 million listings, when I go near any major street with shops on it, the screen is covered with “Susan’s Flower show, Bob’s bar and grill, Wal-Mart, George’s Jewelry, and on and on and on. And, this is mixed in with the street names! You just need to put icons on the screen.
Still: No POI in bird’s eye.
Still: After using the 3D mode, the car icon, which is unique to the 3D mode, is transferred to the 2D mode.
Still: The only program on the market that scrolls the locator across the screen instead of moving the map. This continues to be a poor design, as when you make a turn just before the edge of the map, it doesn't redraw to keep you centered. You are now left driving on the edge of the map. I often miss turns when only using it in the map mode and not routing. You cannot see anything coming to prepare for a turn.
I know the program can be made to keep the icon centered and move the map since you do it in the bird’s eye view.
Still: Display "Head Up" mode is definitely not Heads up. If you are heading up the instant the map redraws, the you are redrawn heading up, but as SOON as you make any turn, you are no longer heads up. Since the map doesn't move, your icon does, you are now show driving any direction but heads up. If you are at a higher zoom level, then you could be driving East/West, South or any combination there of for a significant amount of time. Point in case, if you make a U-turn, you are now shown moving to the bottom of the screen. So, when I'm at the 1 mile zoom level in a city, I will be driving heads "down" and all my turns are backwards! I have made many wrong turns due to this. You cannot IMAGINE how ANNOYING this is! And its like this for any turn you make. If you make a left turn, you are now moving on the map from left to right until the screen redraws. When I going down a highway at a 5 mile zoom and the highway drifts to the left, I will not be going heads up for quite some time. O-by the way, the program will occasionally lock up while zooming like it just did while I was typing this line. Even when using the menu to zoom instead of the "+" and "-" buttons, its sill locked and won't exit.
Still: Using the auto zoom function is flaky. The auto zoom text across the screen "The screen will refresh in X seconds" is annoying.
Still: When the map does redraw it often redraws 2-3 times in a second or two before it says steady.
Still: Additionally the scroll bars are still locked in other programs while TType is running in the background! If the slider bars are not locked in other programs, it will pop back to its original position in milliseconds after moving it. For example, if I go to the program menu with all my icons showing and I want to scroll down the bottom to access my screen shot program, I will use my stylus to slide the scroll bar down to the bottom of the screen. The instant I remove the stylus from the screen the scroll bar pops back to the top and I cannot move fast enough to access the program!
Still: When using the 500 ft zoom level and others, the screen redraw when you reach the top. Since the map doesn't move, only the icon where you are, it redraws you at the top 3/4 of the screen instead of the bottom. This makes the map redraw every few seconds since you are only placed 1/2 inch from the top of the map and causes many redraws and you don't know where you are going since you cant see but a few feet ahead on the road.
This isn't as bad in higher levels of zoom, say 1250ft or more.
Still: It lets you go way off course before it reroutes you.
Still: Rerouting takes too long and very very often you will miss the next available turn. Then it reroutes you again taking a considerable amount of time, and again you have missed the turn. What a vicious cycle. There are settings where you can change the re-route distance, but STILL anything under 1000ft give an error message and resets to default value of 1000ft. Re-routing this way only seems practical on a highway with lots of distance between turns.
When loading a route, I don’t get an ETA. Opening the navigation panel for eta reads, “position not fixed” when it is.
Still: Multiple screens will over lap one another and not close properly; refresh STILL doesn't’t work.
Assign button #1 and #5 doesn't work. It says access denied.
It takes 5 steps to disable North Up mode so I can pan maps!
Randomly unloads maps when zooming or using other functions.
When you start the program, and you select the BT receiver when it isn’t available, the program will not run and you cannot get it to start again without a reset like I’m doing right this second.
Still: If I accidentally hit the X to close the program without using the “quit program” function, the pda locks and requires a soft reset!
Still: A new route starts at the 125ft level. You constantly have to zoom out to see anything around you.
Once again, the program locks up all the time at various intervals requiring resets and is very buggy.
I only use the program because of the 12M POI. I have delegated the program as a POI address look up to put into my other mapping programs for good routing, stable operation, and simplicity.
I would not recommend and have recommended that no one use/buy this program. My comments, as usual, are posted on two world wide forums dedicated to GPS.
v/r
Lorne
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 12:35 PM
To: 'Lorne'
Subject: RE: TType problems!

Lorne,

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to send screen shots. We
will investigate everything and get back to you.

Sincerely,

Marleen Winer
TeleType GPS
www.teletype.com
live assistance: www.teletype.com/chat

Don't Settle for Less in a Pocket GPS!
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I torture myself? They have a new download dated July 7, 2004. Since its still free for me to download, I will give it a try again, and again, and again...
It will be awhile for a review since I don't have a pda. I'm awaiting the new Ipaq 4700. Hopefully it will be out in this month.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Teletype problems fixed! Reply with quote

WOW! I just found a perfect fix for Teletype software....

CoPilot Live V5 is now out. AND, they have a trade in program!!!
I can get CPL5 for $99 if I send in my TType! Cant pass this up! Well, there may not be a review of their latest version.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a review of the European version of CoPilot Live 5, just not the NA version yet. Not that much will change in the software, the main thing will be the map coverage that will change.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NA review is on it's way. As Dave said, not much different from the European version. The only issue that may be of interest to you is that CoPilot must have a city or zip code before it lets you specify a street name. Not necessarily clever for a US program.. But the rest of the features certainly makes Teletype look bleak.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: next revision update. Reply with quote

Ok, here is another update on their latest release. This one is still the original version, 6/2004, but the latest fix dated 18 August.
Bird’s eye (3D) is still limited to 500ft. Not useful at highway speeds.
The pictures listed on the website are the PC version at the top. It looks nice. But, be focused on the bottom two with out street names and very poor graphics.
Street names in the 3D mode are only visible at the 50 foot level. Unless you are not moving, street names are useless since even moving at 10mph you cannot see the next street coming until its 10 feet in front of you.
When following the pink line which dictates the route you are on, it often obscures the street name test.
Routing is still very poor. When I made a route (200 miles) using several modes, shortest, prefer highway, etc, it often had me leave the highway drive literally 50 miles away and then 50 miles back to get back on the same freeway only 15 miles up the road. It did this on several routes. I gave up trying to make it just take the same highway.
The yellow pages or POI are still little red dots instead of pictures like on their website. Still false advertisements. There is no function to selectively display the POI. It’s on or off. I purchased the 12 million POI listing. At a zoom level of only 2500ft, there were no less than 400 POI dots on the screen. This makes the screen too cluttered to even use the POI function.
When you want to remove the POI, you have to go to manage maps and guess which files to unload to remove them. Gdtoch_np.ttm, tla8041_yp.ttm, gdo8041poi.ttm. What a pain.
No POI in 3D mode.
After using the 3D mode, the 3D unique Car icon remains on the 2D views. Program glitch.
Still: Display "Head Up" mode is definitely not Heads up. If you are heading up the instant the map redraws, then you are redrawn heading up, but as SOON as you make any turn, you are no longer heads up. Since the map doesn't move, your icon does, you are now show driving any direction but heads up. If you are at a higher zoom level, then you could be driving East/West, South or any combination there of for a significant amount of time. Point in case, if you make a U-turn, you are now shown moving to the bottom of the screen. So, when I'm at the 1 mile zoom level in a city, I will be driving heads "down" and all my turns are backwards! I have made many wrong turns due to this. You cannot IMAGINE how ANNOYING this is! And it’s like this for any turn you make. If you make a left turn, you are now moving on the map from left to right until the screen redraws. When I going down a highway at a 5 mile zoom and the highway drifts to the left, I will not be going heads up for quite some time.

Screen flickers or shudders in other programs when using a Bluetooth
connection with TType running in the background.
Additionally the scroll bars are now locked in other programs while TType is
running in the background! If the slider bars are not locked in other
programs, it will pop back to its original position in milliseconds after
moving it. For example, if I go to the program menu with all my icons
showing and I want to scroll down the bottom to access my screen shot
program, I will use my stylus to slide the scroll bar down to the bottom of
the screen. The instant I remove the stylus from the screen the scroll bar
pops back to the top and I cannot move fast enough to access the program!

When you plan a route the starting zoom level is poor. It starts you at 125 ft. You have to immediately zoom out a couple times to see what's around you. It also, several times, started eh route at the 50 foot level. This is only 3x the length of my truck.

Rerouting is now much sooner. You can set it to 60feet before it reroutes. However, often it would allow me to go 1000+ feet before rerouting. It’s random. It also, several times, did not reroute me at all. When it did reroute me, it 90% of the time rerouted me going the reverse direction! So, if I missed a turn going north, it would draw a new route behind me going south telling me to make the next turn. So, of course you miss the next turn before you even anything. This repeats over and over because once the new route appears, you are already heading the wrong direction. The only way to make the rerouting stop was to instantly make a U turn while it’s rerouting and then you would be heading the correct direction when the new route popped up! Haha.

Still: In night mode, bird’s eye view is still in day mode and the text is in night mode. You are left with a color screen and white text which you cannot read.
Still: Night mode, street names are still poor and many are unreadable. My thought is that the text is too small and there needs to be an outline around the text, not a box. When a road goes through the text, the road shows between every letter and in the spaces inside letters. An l would look like a t when the road crossed the letter “l”. Also, because the road names follow the roads, if the road is not straight, the text bends with the road. Very often the names are on the inside turn of the road and the text is squished upon itself. Like writing on the inside of the letter “U” the text at the inside bottom would overlap itself. Very bad. The text is now more clear then before, but still unreadable in many circumstances.

Still: Using the auto zoom function is flaky. The auto zoom text across the screen "The screen will refresh in X seconds" is annoying. It also auto zooms when the box is not checked. Without changing any settings, when you zoom out or in, sometimes it says zoom refresh in X seconds and zooms back to where it was, and other times it stays at the zoom level where you left it.
It takes 5 steps to disable North Up mode so I can pan maps!
Over all, the program locks up at various times requiring resets and is very
buggy. I will probably never use this program and continue to use pocket
map navigator. I will post my finding on the two popular GPS forums for
others to comment, Pocket GPS World and GPS passion.

There is no option to load to a card reader. You also cannot load several state maps at once. You have to load one state at a time using active sync which takes a very long time. You could be waiting 15 minutes to load a single state. This was a serious pain when I made a trip through 5 states. This took close to 45minutes to load.

After clearing a route and confirming the cleared route. You can make a new route, and if needed, it reroutes, and it has gone back to my original route.
Many times touching the screen using the one touch information function would bring up the waypoint menus. Glitch.

POI listings in night mode are dark blue text on a black background. Not very visible. And, the text is a blend of blue and white parts of text on the individual letters. For instance, the letter N would have the two vertical lines in blue, and the diagonal line in white. Glitch.
The nice black bread crumb trail in the day mode is used in night mode. However, since it’s a black line and the background is black, the line erases the road you just drove on at any zoom level greater then 1200ft I think. Below that level, the roads are wide enough to not be erased.

During reroute, the first voice prompt was skipped very often, but the visual instructions are shown in the navigation panel.
And with the navigation panel enabled, this takes approximately 1 inch of the bottom of the PDA screen. This along with the menu on the bottom and the menu at the top of the screen, only leave about 1.5 inches of map displayed. You can hide the navigation panel, but then the information on eta and turns is gone.

U turns were listed at a left turn on “A” street and then another left turn on “B” street. Basically it tells you to make two left turns in a row to make a U turn. I guess technically, when you make a U turn in an intersection, you are for a couple feet considered on the perpendicular street to the one you are turning around on. That’s a joke if you didn’t get it.

Several times routing with waypoints did not route using the way points. The pink route line would not include the wp and then the text would. Routing with waypoints sometimes did not include going to the destination.

Switching to nigh mode can be tricky. If you have it disabled while at night then try to make it turn on, it would often only turn the text white, but leaves the display in the day mode. You couldn’t read the streets. Then you can deselect auto, select enable night, then sometimes it would work. It usually required me to go back to day mode and then select auto and enable at the same time. Auto select by itself wouldn’t work often.

Nice, it only locked up once on me this time. Much better than last version.

Well, I wont be writing again since I now use Pocket Map navigator for only $80 and use CoPilot live V5. This is the worst $140 I’ve spent in a while. My one year of updates I paid for is over and I guess. I’ll never have a functional program. What a pitty.
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for your detailed comments. I have actually been torn between Teletype and CoPilot. You are a perfect person to discuss this with.

Do you like CoPilot much better than Teletype? I, like you, think Teletype
has a great feature set, but with all the problems it does not sound like it is worth the headache.

Do you also use CoPilot on a laptop? I will most likely use a mounted laptop more than a PPC. Are you using the iPAQ 4700? If so, how is it with the mapping program?

Oh, also you mentioned that you are using Pocket Navigator AND CoPilot Live v5. I am not familiar with Pocket Navigator.
Why would you use 2 programs?

I was willing to give up some user-friendliness in the Teletype because the screenshots I saw (especially 3-D Birds Eye) looked amazing. I love maps and thought this would keep me entertained while driving, which I do a lot of. Let me know if CoPilot is capable of putting out detailed maps like these:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/gps/streetbirdview.htm

Of course I love the first 3 screenshots which are from a PC, not PPC.

Also, what receiver are you using with the CoPilot?

Thanks so much,
Pete R.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: