Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 crashes GPRS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 crashes GPRS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullengers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: 910 crashes GPRS Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been using my GO 910 for more than a couple of years now, have the current Home version 2.x, upto date application version (7.903 I think) and nice shiny new 8.x maps bought via Home.

I have always had a Tomtom Traffic and Speed cam subscription too, the Traffic information gets downloaded over BlueTooth from my mobile phone and "BT Mobile" GPRS.

The Tomtom wants me to set up the GPRS by hand - I assume this is a fault of the BT Mobile service not being known - it is basically Vodafone UK rebranded. I have tried the "basic" and "full" GPRS settings on the Tomtom of APN "btmobile.bt.com", "bt", "bt" and full +cgdcont string too. No difference.

The problem is that the GO 910 crashes and restarts sometimes. This first started happening in August 2008.

During a journey, this almost always occurs on the first attempt to update Traffic info via GPRS data, after I have made any voice phone call on my phone.

Even if I make no voice calls during the journey, then the crash will happen at the first Traffic update after I switch the Tomtom on - then it will run fine the whole journey, if I stick to the route.

If I drive a different route to the suggested one, or cause a replanning of the route or change the route by hand, then the Tomtom will crash when it tries to update the Traffic info the first time thereafter.

I do not have the RDS/TMF radio based traffic service.

I have tried two different phones Nokia 6300 and Sony Ericcson T630 - the Tomtom crashes on both... but used to work fine on the T630 before August last year.

Does anyone know if Tomtom have started to depreciate support of the GO 910 by sending Traffic or other Plus service data that the GO 910 isn't quite compatible with any more?

When it crashes, it forgets any changes to the settings that I made during that session. Settings seem to get saved if I turn the Tomtom off and then back on again - which is the only way to plan a route and be able to drive it!

Is this a subtle way to get me [us all] to upgrade to a newer Tomtom 930 or 940 or something?

Thanks
Simon
ptomblin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I have owned my 910 for well over 2 years and have used traffic (from various Nokia handsets via Bluetooth) from Day 1 without issue (generally speaking Very Happy ).

In the last couple of months, though, it has started spontaneously rebooting during use, which is pretty annoying. I'm not exactly sure when exactly the fault started and whether it coincided with an update as it's pretty intermittent. However, I have started to arrive at the conclusion that it is something to do with the traffic updates as it seems to occur most when I am using my phone to make a call (which causes the GPRS link to cut out), as if it tries to get a traffic update and crashes when it notices the GPRS is down. Sounds kind of similar to what you're describing, though I hadn't noticed a regular reboot after a journey with no calls. Also, my problem definitely only started in the last couple of months so I don't think it's to do with incompatible data that TT are sending.

I'll pay more attention to when the reboots happen this week and will post back in a few days. Anyone else experienced this issue with 910s or other models?

Phil
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the earlier devices (x00 certainly, and possibly x10) were prone to rebooting if there was very little space left on the device.

If you have recently updated your 910, this may have used up more of the memory than was previoulsy in use.

Can you check to see how much space you have left, and whether anything can be deleted to create more room?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't normally be a problem with a 910. It has a 20GB Hard Drive.

Unless it's full of MP3 and Audiobooks, or all the TT Maps. Shocked

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ptomblin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does have quite a lot of MP3s loaded but still has several GB free on the hard disc. The menu shows about 15MB of memory free. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with this.

Drove two 1-hour journeys today with no issues (and no phone calls made/received). Will see tomorrow as have conf call on the way to the office...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get a file access error or similar flash up just before it reboots?

If so, there is a corrupted file on there - the usual culprits are the gnsdata file or the mapsettings.cfg.

Try deleting either of these (after you have made a full backup of course) - they will both get recreated on boot up.

If it won't let you delete them with some weird error about being in use it is a sign that the file is corrupted - in that case format the unit and reload a previous backup from a while ago and then update your maps and Navcore again.
ptomblin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having paid a little more attention, it would appear that I have identical symptoms to mullengers. Now all we need to do if figure out how to fix it!

No error messages appear; the unit just 'spontaneously' reboots. One minute it's showing the map and the next you're looking at the default green reboot screen with the progress bar at the bottom.

Without a doubt, this is linked to traffic updates over Bluetooth. It works perfectly until you use the phone to make a call (which disrupts the GPRS connection, thouth the bluetooth connection to TT remains intact) and when it next tries to update, it reboots. As mullengers stated, if you don't use your phone then it will reboot the next time you switch on and it tries to update. (As an aside, my unit will often not connect at all in this scenario, showing an 'unable to connect message if I force a traffic update, so I switch both TT and phone off and on again at which point TT successfully connects to traffic but then does the crash/reboot). Whenever it crashes/reboots it loses the session info (destination, etc).

mullengers started getting this last year but I've been affected only for the last couple of months or so. I regularly apply updates (at least every month, usually weekly) so that wouldn't appear to be the cause, though can't see what else it might be as the only other thing I've been doing is refreshing my safety camera POIs.

Other suggestions welcome...

Phil.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - do you have a 910 as well or a different device?

I have a 920, have wireless data disabled and my device reboots and locks up all ove rthe place if I use it for handsfree. And it loses all audio output until you do a pin reset.

It is currently off to TT for a repair as this has been going on for 6 months plus. I wouldn't take 'it will be fixed in the next update' as an answer to my support call and they gave in eventually.

If it comes back fixed I will eat my hat as others have the same problem.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 910 crashes GPRS Reply with quote

mullengers wrote:

The Tomtom wants me to set up the GPRS by hand - I assume this is a fault of the BT Mobile service not being known - it is basically Vodafone UK rebranded. I have tried the "basic" and "full" GPRS settings on the Tomtom of APN "btmobile.bt.com", "bt", "bt" and full +cgdcont string too. No difference.

I see you have tried the T630 and on that the way I have got that to work on various TT devices is to use the same settings you do but totally delete the +cdgcont string. You need to be sure that the BT account is CID=1 on the phone - which usually means it was the first one entered.

On most devices if the CID=1 the dialling is "*99#" but TomTom likes to create a data connection with a CID of 5 meaning "*99***5#" needs to be dialled. I get the impression (not proven) that some phones do not like 5 CIDs.

You also need on the T630 in data accounts the preferred service needs to be set to "GPRS & GSM" You also need to have the "allow calls" in the BT Data account set to "automatic".

Since the latest updates I have found that the voice handsfree and data connection on the Go530 seem to clash and by disabling hands free on the Go I get a reliable data connection. This is recent but for me it is not a problem as I do not use the hands free on the Go530 as I have a fully wired car kit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 910 crashes GPRS Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Since the latest updates I have found that the voice handsfree and data connection on the Go530 seem to clash and by disabling hands free on the Go I get a reliable data connection. This is recent but for me it is not a problem as I do not use the hands free on the Go530 as I have a fully wired car kit.

Yet another forum member who has gone to a dedicated car kit, there seems to be an increasing number of us giving up an the handsfree capability of the TomTom units due to various reasons - Mike
ptomblin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, yes mine is also a 910. I have Hands-Free disabled, just Wireless Data enabled. I'm using a Nokia 6301 phone.

Was thinking a little more about the timing of when the problem started for me and realised that two months ago is when I started on my current assignment and started making regular calls during my commute. It is therefore possible that the problem was there before but was happening so infrequently that I didn't pay it any attention.

I've also started using the Nokia wired headset of late (so I can listen to music in stereo while in the office) - will revert to my Bluetooth headset for a couple of days to eliminate that from the equation (highly doubtful it is related given that it appears to be the TT traffic connection).
Sqydo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem on the one XL.

I can pretty much guarantee it is to do with traffic because until i signed up for a traffic subscription 3 days ago it was rock solid. It never ever rebooted.

I have all the latest maps, OS etc. installed, but since setting up traffic it does the crzy reboot, can't establish connection errors as described previously.

I'm pretty miffed at this point as the traffic should enhance the product, not make it unreliable!
Ireland_Tazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like a very common problem here!

I have a 710, latest maps and s/w.

Use a Nokia 2630 on Vodafone and have exactly the same problem.

Only use it with wireless data as my works phone uses the car kit, the 2630 is only used for TT Traffic (no data connection on works phone).

The first time the device goes to do an update on traffic it freezes and then reboots going back to the condition it was in when the unit was last powered off, not a crash, so you end up having to program your route back in!
pcherpin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I am glad to find at last other people with the same problem. I had the problem since Sep 08, and I think it has to do with HQ Traffic size of message. It is probaly too big and the memory overflow crashing the device. I have tried my TT 920 and my wife 520, different mobile phones... currently I have a decent Nokia e66.

I have re-installed the whole device several time as the issue got worse with TT SW releases, and even re-formated the TT memory... Today I have wiped the TT flash memory with TT facility.

I immediately noticed that teh TT is a lot faster... So far so good...
nleaney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have the same problem with my 530 (running 8.351).

I get the most consistency in crashing when the unit does it's first traffic update following the calculation of a new route. Not noticed it being tied to a recalculation of the route. If I don;t have the mobile on and therefore no traffic updates available then the 530 operates without a problem. I do see the device rebooting mid journey from time to time (though not frequently) too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: