Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA for Memory Map (Walking)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA for Memory Map (Walking)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granty_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: PDA for Memory Map (Walking) Reply with quote

Hello,

I know its not the usual request but hope someone can help.

I currently use memory map on my T-Mobile MDA Compact IV for navigation but it doesn't have a good battery life, after 8 hours on the hill with it turned off the majority of the time to conserve the battery it runs out.

I want to get a PDA to replace it with the ability to have the screen turned on constantly so I'm not waiting for it to regain signal plus I would record tracks step for step.

I dont really want to be spending too much seeming as an Active 10 could be had for about £240 and thats purpose built.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you will find some advicew on external power packs in This Thread which you could easily use with your existing kit to get far more than 10 hours out of it with the screen on all the time.
The active10 is a great product but please be aware you cannot use Memory Map software on the device, you would have to purchase maps on SD cards for the active10 which will push the price higher than £240

Finally please don't post the same question in multiple forums as it makes tracking answers difficult, I have locked your other post for this reason - Thanks - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump but...

I recently resurrected an XDA Orbit (HTC 3300) with WM 6.0 on it. I put MM client onto it and took it walking in the Yorkshire Dales. I was worried about battery life so I turned the device 'off' (single press of the power button suspends display etc. but allows the phone to work). When I got to places where I needed to check path selection I simply turned it back on (resume) and it took a couple of seconds to show my place on the map. Very useful. I suspect the 'power off' keeps all the radio functions going so the in-built GPS is kept running - it also showed signs of tracking on the map when in this mode - but the phone was in my pocket and in dense woodland and the GPS receiver doesn't seem to be all that sensitive so it was difficult to tell. However - after a 5 hour walk and several calls from our wives - who couldn't find us in the White Bear in Masham! - I still had plenty of battery (over 70%). I was quite impressed and will certainly have it available for walking. It won't replace my Active 10 though.
akribie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top-up external battery works very well. I get all-day operation of my Mio GPS using one of these:

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=5714

To charge, connect the external battery to its charger and then connect the PDA/phone to the battery and leave overnight to charge both. Saves carry an extra charger for the PDA/phone.
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just had an email from MM they are bringing out a dedicated GPS the Adventurer 28000 which runs MM maps. costs £250.00 see the link.

www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurer

hope this helps
paul363636
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of turning off the PDA whilst walking. I have spd pocket plus installed on my PDA and have mapped 'display off' to one of the hardware buttons. This is more than just turning off the backlight as the entire screen really does go blank and it certainly allows a long day's walk with MM5 and a BT GPS running all the time. Typically on my IPAQ 2490, the battery discharges to about 40% for an 8 hour hike.

Paul
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option I considered is a BT GPS datalogger, then the PDA can be turned off when not in use. the datalogger can stay on all day.

I don't know how well this arrange would work with MM on the PDA, as the tracks wuld need to be downloaded off the GPS into the PDA, and I don't know if MM would be able to do it. I never go around to trying to set it up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: