Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comStory courtesy of the Telegraph.

The Chief Exec of Serco UK, the global service company that has contracts in Safety Cameras, defence, justice, healthcare and many more sectors has been arrested after being photographed driving at 102mph on the A11.

Tom Riall is due to appear before magistrates in Suffolk on Wednesday. If found guilty he faces a driving ban of up to two years and a £2,500 fine.

When asked about the incident he said "I was travelling from my home to a business meeting on a clear A-road and I was unaware of my speed."

His comments have provoked road safety campaigners into angry reactions with one questioning how a man responsible for many of the UK's safety cameras could claim to be 'unaware' that he was travelling at over 100mph.

Serco have been the UK agent for Gatso for many years and have contracts with most of the UK Safety Camera Partnerships for their supply and maintenance. In 2008 they lead a Government backed anti-speeding campaign called Safe Drive Stay Alive. Strangely their UK website is notable for the lack of any information on their safety camera business.

www.serco.co.uk

Last edited by Darren on Mon May 04, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, folks, you don't need to be able to spell "schadenfreude" to experience it. Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Tom Riall is due to appear before magistrates in Suffolk on Wednesday. If found guilty he faces a driving ban of up to two years and a £2,500 fine.

The sad fact here is someone at the top of a large company such as this could pay the fine and simply employ a chauffeur so the punishment isn't really suitable, I hope the courts can come up with a different type of punishment if this chap is guilty.

News Team wrote:
When asked about the incident he said "I was travelling from my home to a business meeting on a clear A-road and I was unaware of my speed."

Anyone who drives at those speeds on a motorway is a danger to other road users, to then claim to be "unaware of their speed" is admitting stupidity. For the safety of all road users this chap should be banned from the road for life IMHO - Mike
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe his defense will be the equipment is faulty....ha ha. Rolling Eyes

But as a previous perseon said, if he is banned (due to going over the total points limit) then he will simply hire a chauffeur which Joe Public cannot do.

Fair laws?
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Public can, if Joe Public wants, take out insurance to cover such an eventuality, but instead Joe Public generally has more sense than to drive at such an outrageous speed on an 'A' Road.

What Riall will lose is worth a lot more than his license. His reputation will be through the floor, and he may well find himself out of a job, ousted by the Board of his company. We can but hope.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Anyone who drives at those speeds on a motorway is a danger to other road users
Here we go - another foaming at the mouth reaction from the sort of moron who believes the "Speed Kills" mantra without bothering to go and read the stupendous lack of evidence for it.

I used to live in East Anglia, and parts of the A11 are perfectly safe at 102mph (and faster), as are many of our motorways.

If this chap is guilty of anything, it's "not being aware of his speed", which is equally as unforgivable at 20mph as it is at 102mph.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used to live in East Anglia, and parts of the A11 are perfectly safe at 102mph (and faster), as are many of our motorways.

Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Anyone who drives at those speeds on a motorway is a danger to other road users
Here we go - another foaming at the mouth reaction from the sort of moron who believes the "Speed Kills" mantra without bothering to go and read the stupendous lack of evidence for it.

If this chap is guilty of anything, it's "not being aware of his speed", which is equally as unforgivable at 20mph as it is at 102mph.

Mark me down as Stupid then. 102mph (and faster) is only safe on an empty road, excellent road surface, excellent weather, highly trained driver, mechanically faultless vehicle - how many empty roads are there in the UK nowadays? I suppose the 102mph (and faster) morons will soon make some gaps. Evil or Very Mad Being unaware of your speed at 20mph is NOT equally as dangerous as the same moronic empty headedness at 102mph (and faster). Just exactly what does the 102mph (and faster) moron do about coming up behind me pootling along inside the speed limit whilst overtaking an old person aged 70? How much forward vision does he need to haul his speed down by 50mph or more? In my prayers tonight I must remember to ask for all 102mph (and faster) morons to be afflicted with something unpleasant.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to advise the morons that to stop from 100 mph = 100 feet thinking distance (reaction time) + 500 feet stopping distance, total 600 feet (200 yards)

70 mph = 70 feet thinking distance + 245 feet stopping distance, total 315 feet (105yards).

60 mph = 60 + 180 = 240 i.e 80 yards.

You can double the above for when the roads are wet.

My personal view is, anyone travelling at 50% or more over the posted limit should have their vehicle crushed and ban them for life.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My - what a lot of hypocrites we have in today, given that the only reason for PocketGPSWorld's continued existence is to provide the speed camera database, which is there to assist people in exceeding the speed limit without getting caught. And some of you are even "moderators" and "verifiers" - how do you sleep at night?!

How sad that you believe the government's "Speed Kills" mantra - despite it not being supported by the government's own evidence. How very sad that you cannot understand that "excessive speed" and "exceeding the posted speed limit" can be two very different things. And even sadder is that you do not seem to understand that improving driver education and allowing drivers to make proper risk assessments based on a whole range of factors (including weather, traffic density, vehicle performance, driver ability, etc) is eminently preferable to forcing people - through financial penalties - to obey a completely arbitrary and meaningless law.

@DennisN - I'll exclude you from this. You are obviously such a sad, bitter and twisted individual that I'll leave you to square your conscience about what you ask for in your prayers with your own God.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
another foaming at the mouth reaction from the sort of moron who believes the "Speed Kills" mantra without bothering to go and read the stupendous lack of evidence for it.

Drop the personal insults please or I'll adopt a foaming at the mouth attitude and ban you. No need for that kind of reply.

Our database does not exist to assist drivers speeding whatever you may believe. If you can't add to the debate without assuming such a vitriolic attitude then don't.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Drop the personal insults please or I'll adopt a foaming at the mouth attitude and ban you. No need for that kind of reply.
Certainly - does that apply equally to DennisN and Lost_property?

Darren wrote:
Our database does not exist to assist drivers speeding whatever you may believe.
OK, I'll bite. What exactly does the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database exist for, then?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Certainly - does that apply equally to DennisN and Lost_property?

I don't see any comments from either of them that are aimed at you?
Quote:
OK, I'll bite. What exactly does the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database exist for, then?

It exists both to forewarn you of speed cameras and to serve as a reminder of your speed. The intention being to draw attention to your speed and not to assist drivers in speeding.

Now that may sound like corporate BS but I assure you it isn't. And whilst there will always be a number of subscribers who use it to do just as you suggest, I'd venture that a the great majority do so in an effort both to avoid being fined and to assist them in keeping to limits. It is all too easy to stray these days and in doing so attract a fine and penalty points.

Now you're as entitled to your opinion as anyone but there isn't any need to attack individuals in trying to convey it.

102mph may well be safe on a clear stretch of well surfaced motorway in good weather conditions. But that is another debate. A Traffic Officer would almost certainly prosecute that that speed regardless whereas 80-90 may result in a warning. Speed cameras will ALWAYS prosecute. That's what I personally object to. they take no account of road conditions, weather, traffic levels etc,

Now can we all sit back and pause before replying, the same comment about personal attacks applies to all.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso UK Boss caught driving at 102mph on a 70mph road Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Darren wrote:
Our database does not exist to assist drivers speeding whatever you may believe.

It's invaluable when entering an unfamiliar area - it tells you when to expect sudden unnecessary braking - it also gives you a level of confidence you have the limit right and you haven't missed signs hidden behind foliage
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in court next Friday to contest a GATSO-based prosecution for travelling at 50mph (the photo says 51mph, but that's within the margin of error for the camera, let alone my speedo) on a 40mph road with which I was not familiar. The initial 40mph sign was hidden by foliage. Not having my SatNav with me that day I blithely continued with my cruise control set at what I thought was the speed limit, and failed to spot the solitary speed limit repeater that was part of the warning of the camera ahead, attracted as I was instead by the repeaters a couple of hundred yards after the camera that were, at 750mm, large enough to give the impression that they were the start of a speed limit.

(I don't hold out much hope of success, but we have to try...)

Certainly 50mph was an appropriate speed for an all-but empty three-lane dual carriageway at 05:30 on a dry and sunny mid-May morning, but the camera doesn't take that into account, as Darren says.

I would be lying if I said I had never sped. Heck, I would be lying if I said I'd never "done a ton" in my younger days. Now, though, with so many cameras about and insurance costing so much, I don't dare pick up points ("more points", perhaps, depending on how I get on next week) so I don't dare speed. I (almost) always use my SatNav, even on the shortest of journeys, to provide me with a heads-up display of my speed, a (more or less) accurate reminder of what is the current speed limit, and a warning of any cameras in case I've still made a mistake.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: