Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - can you help me choose a new SatNav against my Spec?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

can you help me choose a new SatNav against my Spec?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: can you help me choose a new SatNav against my Spec? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Its time to replace my SatNav for a newer model. I’m looking for some advice….

I currently have a Garmin StreetPilot i3. It still works, and is compact but the maps are quite out of date and the functionality very limited.

My specification for the new unit is as follows:

- I ride a motorbike and drive a car, so a solution that I can use for both is required. That said, it may not be a dedicated bike unit due to the cost. The i3 isn’t, but due to a clever mount that a friend made up for me worked very well. If it starts raining (very rarely as I am a pleasure motorcyclist) I can wrap in a sandwich bag / elastic band, or pull over and put it away!

- Touch screen (guess they all are now) and ideally operable with gloves on, though again this is prob true of normal touch screens with a decent screen size
- European maps included
- Ability to store a decent series of waypoints. Here is the main limitation of the i3. Especially when on the bike I want to go down a specific route, not the shortest or fastest, but specific roads chosen from a map. This is virtually impossible with the i3
- Don’t really need to be able to hear instructions in my helmet, though could be a bonus (especially if I add speed camera warnings). I have an autocom system on the bike so a 3.5mm headphone outlet would do it. Presumable if it has bluetooth then I can get some kind of bluetooth receiver to connect to the autocom box?
- Clear speed camera warning system, showing actual limit alongside the warning a major plus.
- may restrict me to Garmin, or even not possible with that, but if it fitted the same ball mount as my i3, then I could reuse the same bike mount arm as pictured so this would be great.
- Decent battery life, or an easy-ish way to charge on the bike would be a bonus.
- Price wise, I’m not sure. To get it past my financial adviser it’d have to be sensible – would consider used for sure.

Thanks to you all in advance, hope this is the correct sub-forum?!

Chris
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Anyone? Reply with quote

Anyone?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from the lack of responses people are reluctant to reply. Everyone will have there own + and - for your spec.

You have probably already done this, but go to your local Halfords, there you can get up close and have a good look. Also some of the bigger Currys have a dedicated sat nav area with quite a few on display.

Sorry not be any more helpful.

Any motorbike members wish to help out here Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider 1 or 2, Garmin Zumo 660 are the obvious choices. Otherwise any Nuvi or TomTom meets the spec but none are ideal for use on a bike and touch screens makes them much more likely to suffer damage if they get even slightly wet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: